Covid vaccine trial - my experience

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I posted this on CyReport but thought I'd share here too...

Some observations, some opinion, some details - and money...

I started the vaccine trial today (Moderna) in CoSprings. 25 month study and I get 2 shots (coin flip if placebo). I go back in a month for the 2nd shot. 7 set office visits and 24 phone call check-ins. I have an e-diary app to fill out daily (temp, general feelings, shot site reactions, etc..). And, unbeknownst to ME, I get $90 for each office visit and $27 for each phone call for compensation not to exceed $1,962 over course of the study... Nice little bonus there for saving the world.

I saw 5 medical professionals including the doctor leading the CoS study over the course of 2 hours. We did an extensive medical history and physical, took large amounts of blood, and did nasal swabs. For those complaining of the nasal swabs, I've had larger things in my nostrils and it was mildly uncomfortable at worst.

I thought today was just an interview but I did receive a shot. After the injection I was taken to the observation room for 30 minutes to see if I died, or developed spider-like reflexes. Neither happened but I did have a nice lunch at QDoba.

Prior to my appointment, friends were trying to talk me OUT of it (didn't realize I knew so many anti-vaxxers) but after receiving a text just this morning that my nephew and his family of 4 were all sick and tested positive for Covid, it sealed my participation. Then I came home to hear my wife's Mom in Florida is/has been sick with Covid. She's an at-risk person with asthma but sounds like she's on the mend. She's old generation so the concept of NOT visiting and hosting dinners is out of her capability.

Doctor's observations... When I mentioned my fam had tested positive, he said the testing is spotty at best (WAY too many false positives) and rife with fraud. He had first-hand accounts where he wrote testing orders, his patients went to the testing sites (he called it lines from hell) then patients got frustrated with the wait and left. The next day, (some) of those patients received calls from the testing facility that they tested positive and were ordered to quarantine for 14 days. Amazing since they never had the test done. He said there is financial incentive for reporting positive results. That on top of the spotty accuracy makes you question so many things.

His final comments after thanking me for participating, is "live your life".

Solid final parting thoughts - let's all live our lives to the best of our abilities. Live in fear, live invincibly, but LIVE your lives at this moment.

Oh - if I should die, please organize a "fun-run" or a telethon in memory of Patient #91 which is my trial identification going forward....

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm trying to communicate in complete sentences and complete thoughts these days. My sincerest apologies but thanks for taking the time to rap out 5 characters! :0

Thanks for the updates. I agree with a couple things. I didn't think there were much for anit-vaxxers anymore. Surprised you would catch that much heat. Second, I know a person who was scheduled for the test, called to reschedule due to have the runs; got it moved three days later, on the drive to get tested he got a call telling him he tested positive. He was confused. when he asked, he was told they must have just mixed his results up with someone else. So that means they probably did not get someone called that did test positive, or they just kinda made it up.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Confused by the length of the study, 25 months. Do you know why so long? Hopefully we'll all have the vaccine for a long time by the time you're done.

Interesting to hear how these actually work, thanks for posting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Confused by the length of the study, 25 months. Do you know why so long? Hopefully we'll all have the vaccine for a long time by the time you're done.

Probably follow up testing. I know when my son had his ACL surgery even the follow up surveys hit for over two years. Checking for any lingering effects, or if it wore off or something.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclonefan710

Oct 19, 2012

I started the vaccine trial today (Moderna) in CoSprings. 25 month study and I get 2 shots (coin flip if placebo). I go back in a month for the 2nd shot. 7 set office visits and 24 phone call check-ins. I have an e-diary app to fill out daily (temp, general feelings, shot site reactions, etc..). And, unbeknownst to ME, I get $90 for each office visit and $27 for each phone call for compensation not to exceed $1,962 over course of the study... Nice little bonus there for saving the world.

I saw 5 medical professionals including the doctor leading the CoS study over the course of 2 hours. We did an extensive medical history and physical, took large amounts of blood, and did nasal swabs. For those complaining of the nasal swabs, I've had larger things in my nostrils and it was mildly uncomfortable at worst.

I thought today was just an interview but I did receive a shot. After the injection I was taken to the observation room for 30 minutes to see if I died, or developed spider-like reflexes. Neither happened but I did have a nice lunch at QDoba.

Prior to my appointment, friends were trying to talk me OUT of it (didn't realize I knew so many anti-vaxxers) but after receiving a text just this morning that my nephew and his family of 4 were all sick and tested positive for Covid, it sealed my participation. Then I came home to hear my wife's Mom in Florida is/has been sick with Covid. She's an at-risk person with asthma but sounds like she's on the mend. She's old generation so the concept of NOT visiting and hosting dinners is out of her capability.

Doctor's observations... When I mentioned my fam had tested positive, he said the testing is spotty at best (WAY too many false positives) and rife with fraud. He had first-hand accounts where he wrote testing orders, his patients went to the testing sites (he called it lines from hell) then patients got frustrated with the wait and left. The next day, (some) of those patients received calls from the testing facility that they tested positive and were ordered to quarantine for 14 days. Amazing since they never had the test done. He said there is financial incentive for reporting positive results. That on top of the spotty accuracy makes you question so many things.

Solid final parting thoughts - let's all live our lives to the best of our abilities. Live in fear, live invincibly, but LIVE your lives at this moment.

Oh - if I should die, please organize a "fun-run" or a telethon in memory of Patient #91 which is my trial identification going forward....

Sounds like a lot of work for 2 grand.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I hope your family members that tested positive turn out ok.

The false positives for financial gain pisses me off. People are dying and having their lives permanently altered. I hope those profiting on fear get some kind of punishment.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Thanks for the updates. I agree with a couple things. I didn't think there were much for anit-vaxxers anymore. Surprised you would catch that much heat. Second, I know a person who was scheduled for the test, called to reschedule due to have the runs; got it moved three days later, on the drive to get tested he got a call telling him he tested positive. He was confused. when he asked, he was told they must have just mixed his results up with someone else. So that means they probably did not get someone called that did test positive, or they just kinda made it up.

I'm not saying this to be controversial or stir up debate, but on the flip-side of what you're saying, it sounds like folks in the "hot spot" areas (i.e. Florida, Texas, etc.) are able to purchase negative test results in order to avoid quarantine. There's just so much suspicious activity on both sides of the coin.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not saying this to be controversial or stir up debate, but on the flip-side of what you're saying, it sounds like folks in the "hot spot" areas (i.e. Florida, Texas, etc.) are able to purchase negative test results in order to avoid quarantine. There's just so much suspicious activity on both sides of the coin.
No issues, I believe you. In crisis times, there are a lot people who will try to profit off these situations, which is pure sad. Too many people want a quick fix and/or a zero issue solution. Neither of those are available in pandemics; but people want them to be and that is where jackwagons prey.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Heard a rumor this morning about important ISU player getting positive results today but haven't been able to confirm.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
" For those complaining of the nasal swabs, I've had larger things in my nostrils and it was mildly uncomfortable at worst. " - In my experience, this is highly dependent on the person you have doing the swab. First time, I swear the guy stuck it in my brain and then twisted it around in there. It was horrible. Second time, just mildly uncomfortable as you said.

" His final comments after thanking me for participating, is "live your life". " - Live your life but wear a ******* mask.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Good luck to you and hopefully you don't need it. I imagine it will be pretty easy to know if you got the placebo pretty early on.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

My reading was that Phase 2 trials created desired the immune response but they struggled to find the right dosage and if boosters were needed. There were some more severe side-effects reported at higher dosages. Phase 3 is a consistent and lower dosage with 2 shots given 1 month apart. Phase 3 will also see how long the immune response lasts and if it does deliver "immunity" as tested through periodic blood and nasal swabs.

No super powers yet, but my nose hair seems to have accelerated growth. I'll be the world's most worthless super hero.

Reactions: kcbob79clone