Cord cutting question

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I use youtube.tv but I have a pretty fast connection with large data limit for work. My Mother is thinking about switching and I'm wondering what the minimum d/l speed and data limit people are seeing. She lives by herself and doesn't do much other data-intensive online stuff. What do you suggest?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
From the internet - scroll down the page. Minimums are listed.

Thanks but what they recommend and what people actually experience are generally not the same. Also, they don't say anything about the amount of data cap. Obviously that's gonna be different for almost everyone but looking for someone that may be in a similar situation.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have the 1000G service thru mediacom and usually end up around 80% usage/month. But that’s with the tv being on in the background a lot, 720p resolution, and a lot of YouTube videos. I just tested and got 2.35 mb/s down which is actually one of my better results looking at the history, and I quite often have a TV on and am watching something on YT at the same time without any problems. You can find resources that will show you the relationship between resolution and data usage but I didn’t find them all that accurate.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
We use to stream on a 12mbps century link DSL connection. We had no issues with 1 or 2 streams at a time as long as there weren't many devices connected to the wifi.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Thanks but what they recommend and what people actually experience are generally not the same. Also, they don't say anything about the amount of data cap. Obviously that's gonna be different for almost everyone but looking for someone that may be in a similar situation.
What’s her data cap options?

i wfh and we have YouTube TV and never go over our 1 TB cap with xfinity. It’s 1.2 TB now I guess.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
What’s her data cap options?

i wfh and we have YouTube TV and never go over our 1 TB cap with xfinity. It’s 1.2 TB now I guess.
We average ~600gb per month streaming YTTV and was at ~650gb per month when we were both WFH. It takes a lot to hit 1TB unless you game or stream 4K a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

clonefan24

Feb 4, 2014
I live alone and have zero issues streaming YTTV with the free 5MBPS fiber internet from Google Fiber.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
As a side note on You Tube TV. Does anyone know if you can lie about what zip code your in? With cable I get all the Des Moines channels but when I put in my zip it gives me Missouri and I think Cedar Rapids channels. That's a no go with me. I want to cut the cord but WHO news is almost half of the tv I watch anymore.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Looking at Sling Orange.
It comes with some DVR capacity (50 hrs) but says is limited to one device.
So does the DVR count as a device? IOW, can you stream watch something while also recording or playing the DVR at the same time?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Looking at Sling Orange.
It comes with some DVR capacity (50 hrs) but says is limited to one device.
So does the DVR count as a device? IOW, can you stream watch something while also recording or playing the DVR at the same time?

The DVR is cloud based which means your recordings are saved online. It would not count as a device. You can stream while recording a different show.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I use youtube.tv but I have a pretty fast connection with large data limit for work. My Mother is thinking about switching and I'm wondering what the minimum d/l speed and data limit people are seeing. She lives by herself and doesn't do much other data-intensive online stuff. What do you suggest?

I'd also look into setting her up with $20 antenna to pull in the 50 mile free stations. My parents usually watch the news in the morning and evening on their free to use antenna.

SO easy to use. Set-up is plus it in, hit search.. Then go

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'd also look into setting her up with $20 antenna to pull in the 50 mile free stations. My parents usually watch the news in the morning and evening on their free to use antenna.

SO easy to use. Set-up is plus it in, hit search.. Then go
We did one better. We both have Mediacom internet and you can just split the cable off and run it to your tv to get a ton of channels including local.

Reactions: cyfan92

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
One nice thing about YouTubeTV is you can easily adjust the video quality. For sports I set it at 720p or above. But for other shows will set at 360p or 480p, saves a lot of data.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
One nice thing about YouTubeTV is you can easily adjust the video quality. For sports I set it at 720p or above. But for other shows will set at 360p or 480p, saves a lot of data.

i just realized you could do this last night.

my resolution was terrible and i figured out i was watching shows on 360p when 720 or 1080 was available.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I made the switch a couple of weeks ago from 100mb Mediacom/Cable to 1gb Mediacom/Youtube TV. A few observations:

1. I'm not saving any money by cutting the cord. Knew that going in.
  2. The picture quality is a lot better on YTV compared to Cable. Getting 1080p.
  3. Not really missing any channels but at the same time, I don't feel we're getting anything better.
  4. I use to use Harmony remotes to control TV, Cable Box, Receiver, etc. I'm now able to use the small remote that came with the Chromecast With Google TV. I've replaced all of my old Chromecast devices with these Chromecast with Google TV devices and they work great. Also bought additional remotes for the wife. CEC now works perfect but was a complete disaster with the cable TIVO box.
  5. The DVR things is good but I still have a couple of complaints. You can't mark off shows that you've watched. A lot of the shows come up as VOD and with those you can't FF through commercials.
  6. Both HBO Max and Netflix look amazing. HDR, Dolby Vision, etc.
  7. I'm seeing about 650 Mbps hardwire with Mediacom 1gb service. Seeing about 300 Mbps via Google WiFi throughout the house.
  8. YTV has some nice little features like if you are watching live sports it has a ton of stats. It's also a lot easier to find programing. You can just hit a listen button and say something like "ABC" and it will go there or "Houston Rockets" and it will show available shows.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean