Conference acceptance rate

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
For some reason I thought Kansas was harder to get into. The "thoughts" column on the right said it's the second easiest in the conference at 91%.

Reactions: State2015

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
IMO state colleges could be in the 80%+ by default. That's the purpose of those schools. To teach the state's population. Any public university less than 50% is not serving their purpose IMO
That makes sense for a lot of midwestern or smaller-population states, but it gets tough real quick in a larger state - ie, schools like UCLA, Texas, Florida/FSU would be beyond enormous.

That said, the a given states system should have fairly high acceptance rate. For example, maybe a student doesn't get into Texas Austin, but is accepted at UTEP or UTSA.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Better “tradition”?:

“The Wave”
“Tavernhok claiming Iowa is harder to get in to than ISU”

Reactions: Acylum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Better “tradition”?:

“The Wave”
“Tavernhok claiming Iowa is harder to get in to than ISU”
KOK, GD, BF = all the same. KF and Iowa fans are the real problem. Kansas>Iowa State>Iowa

ISU's 2021 accept rate was 91%.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
IMO state colleges could be in the 80%+ by default. That's the purpose of those schools. To teach the state's population. Any public university less than 50% is not serving their purpose IMO

There isn't a way for Texas, Michigan, Florida flagships to do that. Imagine how massive UT would have to be to be at 80% acceptance.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
There isn't a way for Texas, Michigan, Florida flagships to do that. Imagine how massive UT would have to be to be at 80% acceptance.

Texas has 52,000 enrolled students. My math says 143,000 at an 80 percent acceptance rate. That’s ******* gigantic.

Edit: 137K at Mich and 139k at Florida

Reactions: CycloneNorth

ClonerJams

Sep 26, 2022
For some reason I thought Kansas was harder to get into. The "thoughts" column on the right said it's the second easiest in the conference at 91%.
I had this thought too, but a few years ago I just went and looked at their admission standards out of curiousity and I'm pretty sure they were lower than ISU''s. Unless I'm confusing them with another school.

ClonerJams

Sep 26, 2022
KOK, GD, BF = all the same. KF and Iowa fans are the real problem. Kansas>Iowa State>Iowa

ISU's 2021 accept rate was 91%.
That's the joke. They both have the same admission standards, along with UNI.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That's the joke. They both have the same admission standards, along with UNI.

I don't disagree. Accept rates are just another easily manipulated datapoint that contributes to a dimwitted approach to perceived quality. If I want a career in ag, vet med, engineering, design, ISU and its 91% accept rate is going to position me a lot better for success than another school that has a 70% accept rate. It's all very shortsighted and stupid.

ClonerJams

Sep 26, 2022
Also someone in that thread says Drake has the lowest admission rate in the Valley at 69%. That seems high for Drake.

BCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Basic logic will tell you that ISU having a higher acceptance rate than Iowa, along with having the same entrance requirements just means Iowa has more stupid people apply to it. So……..which fan base is dumber? Seems to be pretty obvious here.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
True to a point. Look at Illinois and Texas. Huge state population growth and they cap enrollment at UT, A&M and Champagne. Illinois legislature for 50 years (??) has looked to Iowa and Iowa State to be offer a similar education without increasing the size of the Champagne campus. We win ( a lot of out of state tuition) and they win by not having to build a ginormous campus while they have increased standards for acceptance..

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Boy, K State lets anyone with a pulse in. Explains EMAW trolls
maxresdefault.jpg

I should add that I imagine younger Cyclone fans probably don't know about this dip

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride