College Gameday in Ames?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The local Hawk-Homer radio station here in Cedar Rapids, Z102.9 was talking about this as news, and using Randy P as the source this morning. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Like it or not, but it's the one marquee game that showcases the entire state, and the weather would actually be pretty decent for it. I love that we get Texas in the middle of November, but we risk having cold, terrible weather that would mute the turnout for an early morning cable talk show.

I'd like to think our fans could do as well as Western Michigan managed when Gameday showed up for their finale in November during a slight blizzard

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: FatNTired

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm so tired of this narrative. It is a five minute jog from my front door to the Welcome to Naperville sign. You would be amazed at the number of I-State decals on cars, I-State flags flying from porches. Kids around here like ISU. Daughter confirms it. Lots of her fellow students are taking visits, and are enrolling.

Basically, if you hate Iowa because of the Western Chicago Suburbs kids, then you also hate Iowa State.

Iowa State has more kids enroll from the Minneapolis area than they do Chicagoland

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Here you go. My saying 80% was wrong, it a little over 61%, but that does not change the fact the UI has a lot more suburban Chicago students that ISU.

For Iowa
https://dailyiowan.com/2018/12/02/i...dents-choose-iowa-over-in-state-universities/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...les-students-private-colleges-worry-they-will

ISUhttps://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2018/09/05/fall-2018-enrollment
Edit: you know what? I don't even know why I'm making this a thing. I wish work gave me more to do today, I must be really bored!

Last edited:

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
This was just put out by 247Sports. These are their predictions for GameDay locations each week of the season...

We were not their first choice on any of the weeks... but we were mentioned for weeks 10 & 11 against OU and Texas.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...Huskers-Georgia-Texas-134412280/#134412280_10

Week 10 LSU @ Alabama
Why this is a good option for GameDay:
America might be tired of this game, but viewers in the South beg to differ. Last season, GameDay went to Jacksonville in this spot for Florida-Georgia, so switching locales for another SEC city during a prime viewing weekend in November seems plausible. LSU-Alabama is almost here by default. The rest of the national slate in Week 10 leaves a lot to be desired outside of Iowa State at Oklahoma.

Week 11 UGA @ Auburn
Why this is a good option for GameDay
: Your guess is as good as ours here. If Auburn and Georgia are both in the Playoff race and nationally-ranked, it's possible GameDay heads to the Plains for this one. There's several other appetizing games with an argument to host, however — Texas at Iowa State, Alabama at Mississippi State, Stanford at Washington State and Penn State at Ohio State. The Longhorns' trip to Ames is intriguing considering Iowa State has never hosted GameDay. By our account, Iowa State is one of 11 P5 programs who haven't.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
He's probably trying to figure out how to call Kevin Costner to confirm.

old-time-phones-vintage-antique-telephones-pay-phone-county-rotary-oak-wood-for-the-home-country-kitchen-wall-nec-change.jpg

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How do you guys actually go over to the Iowa forums and not feel like your IQ has dropped below 50?

Not gonna lie, sometimes I go over there when I'm having a tough day and just need a pick me up. That will usually put the train back on the tracks :)

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone and ZB4CY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I really like that part of the state, but it’s full of stereotypical “tavern hoks”

I've been routinely surprised how laid back Hawk fans are in far NE IA. Most of them fit the "tavern hok" definition of being big Iowa fans that didn't go to Iowa, but they just aren't douchey about the rivalry. I've gotten to the point of being completely neutral about Iowa because I'm not dealing with Hawk that feel the need to **** on ISU constantly, which is something I encountered far more in other parts of the state.

Once you get past Waterloo/CF area, they really calm down.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't go over there out of fear that me and my children who aren't old enough play sports could get beat up at any moment outside of a gas station in Ames, Carroll or Ankeny

Yeah, you definitely aren't winning any popularity contests over there.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron