Coaching Search: Place your bets

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Want: Nick Nurse
Will: Matt McMahon
Nope: Fran McCaffery
I mean, Nick Nurse has done all the HR paperwork at ISU....we have that advantage if we recruit him....no one likes filling that crap out, lol

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I gotta admit I actually would like an outside the box hire like Becky Hammon. Even if it's not her, let's be the first men's program to hire a woman.

I like the Hammon idea, when you said maybe hire a different woman, my 1st thought turned to Mulkey at Baylor proven coach and it would open up the B12 on the women's side 2 birds with one stone. LOL.

nowncarolina

Oct 8, 2009
I don't believe there will be a change.this year. I think he gets another year. We were missing a point guard that would have made a difference in these close games and a good one coming in.. Seldom do you fire someone after giving them an extension but y'all carry on. However attendance was down this year. I'm not bothering reading all this. I will support whoever is the coach.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't think there will be a change.this year. I think he gets another year. We were missing a point guard that would have made a difference in these close games and a good one coming in.. I don't think you fire someone after giving them an extension but y'all carry on. I'm not bothering reading all this. I will support whoever is the coach.
What PG were we missing? Lol don’t say Halliburton because Steve knew Tyrese was leaving before the season. Steve had all year to get a PG and he couldn’t. Also, we’ve won 2 games. 2. 2... Lol

You don’t keep a coach because you made a mistake in extending him two years ago. You don’t keep a coach because of a recruiting class either.

Reactions: Cyclonick182

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I don't believe there will be a change.this year. I think he gets another year. We were missing a point guard that would have made a difference in these close games and a good one coming in.. Seldom do you fire someone after giving them an extension but y'all carry on. However attendance was down this year. I'm not bothering reading all this. I will support whoever is the coach.
0-18. He cant be the coach next year. There is no excuse for 0-18.

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
I think we should take a look at the Winthrop coach. Aside from his first year as HC, he’s never finished worse than 3rd in his conference. Even though the Big South isn’t exactly a power conference, it’s still a good accomplishment. FYI, Winthrop is currently 25-1 with an auto-bid locked in.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I think we should take a look at the Winthrop coach. Aside from his first year as HC, he’s never finished worse than 3rd in his conference. Even though the Big South isn’t exactly a power conference, it’s still a good accomplishment. FYI, Winthrop is currently 25-1 with an auto-bid locked in.
Ex-Xavier Ass't. Most of his history is in the Carolinas, so...

The brand of basketball that Kelsey has instilled in the Eagle program has been an exciting one and produced record breaking teams. This past season the Eagles smashed the program record for three-point field goals made and three-point field goals per game. Winthrop led the nation in three-point field goals (12.4) and finished 5th in made threes (372). The Eagles broke the school record for threes in a game, hitting 24 in the win over Hiwassee. The 24 threes also tied the Big South Conference mark for a single-game and tied for the 5th most in NCAA D1 history for a single-game. The 12.40 threes per game is the 5th best single-season average in D1 history while the 372 made threes rank 20th.

Kelsey prides his teams on grit and toughness on the defensive end and an exciting “downhill” style of basketball offensively. Defensively, the 2014-2015 Eagles were the #1 ranked defensive team in the Big South in defensive efficiency (kenpom.com), field goal percentage defense and three-point field goal percentage defense. In fact Winthrop ranked in the top two in 5-of-9 defensive categories in Big South Conference play.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yep, only 1 point guard away from 16-2 instead of 0-18. Would have probably won a Big 12 championship also if Foster didn't get hurt.

The stupidity of your attendance post when minimal fans are allowed because of a little thing called a global pandemic is mind boggling also.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Realistically, it’s going to be a long journey back to where we were. I mean, it would even take Phil Jackson or Popovich a few years to get Iowa State to the upper echelon of the Big 12 from where we are now.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Want: Hoiberg or Altman
Think it will be: Hoiberg
Don't want: TJ

I can't believe so many fans are dead set against bringing arguably the best coach is program history back (Hoiberg). The only candidates that have proven themselves more would be Altman and Matta, if they are even realistic options.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Want: Hoiberg or Altman
Think it will be: Hoiberg
Don't want: TJ

I can't believe so many fans are dead set against bringing arguably the best coach is program history back (Hoiberg). The only candidates that have proven themselves more would be Altman and Matta, if they are even realistic options.

I think there are a lot of arguments against the statement that Fred is the best coach in the history of the program...many subjective metrics but it would be hard to defend that position! Loved Fred while he was here (other than the fact that it always felt that couldn't wait to bolt...which was his prerogative) but the "when will he leave" got really old by the time he did leave!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Altman is realistic, I'd want him. I saw a lot of him at Creighton growing up, so I'm probably biased. I think it'll be TJ or Smith. I don't want Fred but I like him more than the mid major guys that have been talked about. I'll come around to whoever it is by next November and be all in haha.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

WV, KU, Tech and OU don't have a true PG and things have worked out for them. Those coaches found away. That's a tough group of coaches to be compared to but its life in our conference and it doesn't include Drew or Dixon....or Shaka and Bruce for that matter who have taken teams to the final four. Figure it out or you won't be able to hang. Steve has proven he can't hang.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron