Coaches with ISU Connections

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
When Donnie Duncan came from OU he brought several guys and one of them was Chuck Lester. I think he coached linebackers while he was here. Anyway, he wound up with the Buffalo Bills and I found out he is the longest current coach in the NFL. I think by longest it means longest uninterupted tenure with one team. Not sure if he is with them right now since the latest head coach was fired.

sweaty7

Nov 8, 2008
Charlottesville, VA
This thread reminds me of a story Todd Doxzon told years ago when he was on an Omaha radio station back when he played for the Dolphins. He said that when he first started playing with the Dolphins, he was stretching before practice and Jimmy Johnson walked up to him. He was new to the team, so had barely even met him at that point. Johnson said to him, "You went to Iowa State, right?" When Doxzon said he had, Jimmy said "I had a dream about Ames the other night."

I remember thinking, "I'd love to know what that dream was all about."

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
This thread reminds me of a story Todd Doxzon told years ago when he was on an Omaha radio station back when he played for the Dolphins. He said that when he first started playing with the Dolphins, he was stretching before practice and Jimmy Johnson walked up to him. He was new to the team, so had barely even met him at that point. Johnson said to him, "You went to Iowa State, right?" When Doxzon said he had, Jimmy said "I had a dream about Ames the other night."

I'll bet his covers fell off the bed, and he got cold - that's what reminded him of Ames.

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames

Read Jimmy's book "Turning this thing around" and I bet you will get some idea of what he was dreaming about - the ISU assistants were a wild bunch back then.

Help Support Us

Become a patron