Christmas Gift Help

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
I'm in desperate need of a unique Christmas gift idea. My Grandfather is getting up there in age and it's sad to say but it may be the last Christmas we get to spend with him. That being said, I want to make it extra special for him. My grandfather served as a Huey Mechanic in the Korean War and spent nearly 3 years overseas. There's 2 things that bring a tear to his eye.....When he has to talk about my Grandma, who passed away 6 years ago and when he talks about his time in the Korean War. For the longest time he and my Grandma would travel south once a year and meet up with the guys he was overseas with. This was the first year they stopped doing it because it was down to 3 guys and all of them are up there in age. One of the things he absolutely loved was touring the Korean War exhibit that just opened up at Camp Dodge recently.

I realize there's not much time between now and Christmas morning but if you would be so kind to help me out with some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

3409eb0e2b040a15275d654137ba0f7a.jpg

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That is super-kind of you.

Do you know the family of any of the other guys he was overseas with? Could you maybe set up a Skype between the men, or get photos for a photo album? If you did a photo album, you could have some be service photos, and some be of your grandma.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm in desperate need of a unique Christmas gift idea. My Grandfather is getting up there in age and it's sad to say but it may be the last Christmas we get to spend with him. That being said, I want to make it extra special for him. My grandfather served as a Huey Mechanic in the Korean War and spent nearly 3 years overseas. There's 2 things that bring a tear to his eye.....When he has to talk about my Grandma, who passed away 6 years ago and when he talks about his time in the Korean War. For the longest time he and my Grandma would travel south once a year and meet up with the guys he was overseas with. This was the first year they stopped doing it because it was down to 3 guys and all of them are up there in age. One of the things he absolutely loved was touring the Korean War exhibit that just opened up at Camp Dodge recently.

I realize there's not much time between now and Christmas morning but if you would be so kind to help me out with some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

3409eb0e2b040a15275d654137ba0f7a.jpg

I bought my dad a ball cap with his ship/ship type/ number a few years ago and he absolutely loved it. Gets into a lot of conversations with other veterans based on that hat.

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016

Do you know the family of any of the other guys he was overseas with? Could you maybe set up a Skype between the men, or get photos for a photo album? If you did a photo album, you could have some be service photos, and some be of your grandma.

Unfortunately I do not. I think asking him may give away some of the surprise. I did ask my Dad after I read your post. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Reactions: Angie

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Good point- my dad found an online forum set up for his ship where he could register with his years of service, and managed to connect with at least one of his former shipmates.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Good point- my dad found an online forum set up for his ship where he could register with his years of service, and managed to connect with at least one of his former shipmates.

That's so neat!