Chris Williams the Time has Come

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, they won 2 games this week against decent competition.
They also were tied with 9 minutes left and we blew a 10 point lead with 9 minutes left. I'm asking an honest question, are all the other teams ranked in the Top 10 defensively running out of gas or just us?

All the teams? I have no idea.

LSU looked much more athletic and deep than ISU.

The question during the non-conference run was whether or not ISU could sustain what they did. It doesn't appear so. They looked like they were playing in mud vs. TCU and at times have looked the same since.

And as I stated yesterday, ISU has a generally good defense, but they get leaky in crucial times. ISU football had a good defense, but what happened when they needed to make a play?

You can 'dumb' my responses all you want if that helps pacify your problems but if ISU was able to sustain things playing the same way they've played since November, they would and there wouldn't be any 'must wins' on the docket.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Yes it is, they beat Tech, Texas, Okie State and should have won in Lawrence in January. Now they aren't even competitive anymore and we are blowing huge leads against league bottom feeders in Ames now.

ISU is 154th in the country in the offensive efficiency rankings. Consistently in that range all year.

It is impressive that they have 8 times as many wins as last season.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
All the teams? I have no idea.

LSU looked much more athletic and deep than ISU.

The question during the non-conference run was whether or not ISU could sustain what they did. It doesn't appear so. They looked like they were playing in mud vs. TCU and at times have looked the same since.

And as I stated yesterday, ISU has a generally good defense, but they get leaky in crucial times. ISU football had a good defense, but what happened when they needed to make a play?

You can 'dumb' my responses all you want if that helps pacify your problems but if ISU was able to sustain things playing the same way they've played since November, they would and there wouldn't be any 'must wins' on the docket.
If it's truly fatigue, and the evidence suggests that since generally we've played well for 20 minutes then fell apart in the 2nd half, then TJ has some serious explaining to do on what's going on in practice.. I'm not saying take a Hoiberg approach where guys can show up 15 minutes late but we don't need to be running them into the ground either.
Besides, the only 3 that should be fatigued are the starting guards. Nobody else on the team has played anywhere close to the minutes where they should be tired right now.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'm just going to put it out there that TJ's stupid haircut is costing us these close games
Best post of the day and glad someone had the nerve to say it. I can hardly watch his press conferences looking at that comb over thing he's doing. I use to liken him to Izzo, but starting to lean toward Gene Keady.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If it's truly fatigue, and the evidence suggests that since generally we've played well for 20 minutes then fell apart in the 2nd half, then TJ has some serious explaining to do on what's going on in practice.. I'm not saying take a Hoiberg approach where guys can show up 15 minutes late but we don't need to be running them into the ground either.
Besides, the only 3 that should be fatigued are the starting guards. Nobody else on the team has played anywhere close to the minutes where they should be tired right now.

I don't see it as just physical fatigue.

Could be a coaching thing, could be a team dynamic thing, could be all.

It happens at all levels in many sports.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Anybody know if Eric Church had any commentary on the game last night?

/ sarcasm

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Hoiberg or Prohm. Wondering which one the TJ Haters want.

If anyone hates tj that’s really dumb. People did hate prohm, which was weird.

I would say that tj struggles with certain aspects of sideline strategy, it was the case at both of his previous stops. Unfortunately, that gets exposed in a league full of outstanding coaches.

But the truth is this season, and I said it before it even started, is all about establishing culture, and setting the tone for how Iowa State basketball will play for however long he’s here.

He has to now get players.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
What were the expectations for this team at the beginning of the year? Where was Iowa State picked to finish in the Big 12?

What were the expectations when this team was undefeated and ranked #8 in the country after beating many NCAA tournament teams?

This team has regressed. Significantly.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't see it as just physical fatigue.

Could be a coaching thing, could be a team dynamic thing, could be all.

It happens at all levels in many sports.

I don’t think it’s a physical thing. Tons of missed open shots, tons of missed free throws, lazy passes, bad turnover after bad turnover…none of those are physical.

Our game plan and approach was great for 30 mins yesterday. And then we fell back into “pass it around the arc and jack up a bad 3 + lazy turnovers” mode and gave up a 15 point lead at home to the worst team (other than us) in the league. Inexcusable.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If anyone hates tj that’s really dumb. People did hate prohm, which was weird.

I would say that tj struggles with certain aspects of sideline strategy, it was the case at both of his previous stops. Unfortunately, that gets exposed in a league full of outstanding coaches.

But the truth is this season, and I said it before it even started, is all about establishing culture, and setting the tone for how Iowa State basketball will play for however long he’s here.

He has to now get players.

Prohm was never a leader. That's what bothered me most.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Hoiberg or Prohm. Wondering which one the TJ Haters want.
Come on, man! People can still want TJ, but have rational even well thought out questions about his ability to make in-game adjustments at the Big 12 level.

He’s brought a ton of excitement and toughness back to the program, but he’s coaching in one of the best Bball conferences. Not an easy deal for anyone. He deserves time to build his roster and player pipeline, but even with a strung together lineup, he’s been out-coached in B12 play especially since they’ve had a time to see this team at least once through.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Prohm was never a leader. That's what bothered most.

Definitely a mild mannered guy.

I guess we will find out what kind of leader TJ is over the next couple weeks. We’re smack dab in the middle of a free fall. Can he right the ship to at least be competitive?

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY
Status
Not open for further replies.