Chicago Suburb Visit

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
This is kind of where I landed. If you're heading in with a family and kids, check out Galena and day-trip into Chi-town. There's nothing in the west suburbs worth the time.

I think this really depends on age of kids and what you’re used to. My wife is from the Schaumburg area. When we spent the night in the city for a wedding, the kids (then ages 2, 4, and 7) had a blast. But they had just as much fun going to Ikea and the “town square” pool with Grandma and Grandpa. I spent 4 months working on Wheaton and never made it to the city; there are a bunch of fun downtown areas in Naperville, Wheaton, etc. with good non-chain restaurants.

Now, if I had been working in the city, I would have gone to the suburbs exactly 0 times. But I think you can find plenty no matter where you are.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Thank you so much all. My kid is almost 5. I was really curious how they enforced the "quarantine" order.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
This is what I am finding under FAQ:

"What if I am flying into a Chicago airport or riding a train to a Chicago station, but not staying in the city?

The Order does not apply to individuals changing planes at a Chicago airport, changing trains at a Chicago station, or traveling directly to a suburban municipality or otherwise out of the city limits." Bold added for emphasis.

In other words there are no restrictions on travel from out of state to Chicago suburbs. The travel restrictions, including quarantine, only apply if you are traveling to and staying in the City of Chicago proper. Oak Brook thus has no travel restrictions and therefore no quarantine is required for travel to that suburb.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/emergency-travel-order.html

I assume visiting City of Chicago is okay as long as I am not "staying" there overnight?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I assume visiting City of Chicago is okay as long as I am not "staying" there overnight?
It appears that way as long as you observe all of that other "stuff" like masks and social distancing. Have fun on your visit!

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Actual stuff in the west burbs that are cool are Morton Arboretum, which you may still catch leaves on trees, and Brookfield Zoo. The zoo is very close to the city, and is open year round. Don't know what either place is doing for COVID though.

9104Griffith

Jul 31, 2010
Chicago
Actually it's more of a guideline than a rule...

At least for Cook County:

I live in the city. Their restrictions are threatened with fines but realistically there is no way for them to enforce a quarantine, especially for someone who is staying outside of the city. However, be aware that the Gov has ordered all indoor dining to be shut down so you may not be able to enjoy some of the normal activities. You should call ahead to any of the places you are thinking about visiting.