Challenge Rules

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
This has been bugging me for awhile and came to a head today. Why doesn’t the NCAA model the nfl challenge rules? I find myself watching college every week wondering if a review will happen and then see the nfl seem to get it right. Being able to challenge a pi, especially in college, seems like a huge turn in the game as well (see end of isu game today). Anyone think there’s a chance the NCAA will ever move towards an NFL model?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I hate the challenge of PI in the NFL. It was a rule that was only put in place because of cry baby Saints fans. Was it pass interference? Yes, but it was a missed call and deal with it. It sucks, but challenging PI is one of the many rules ruining the NFL. It would ruin college football too.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This has been bugging me for awhile and came to a head today. Why doesn’t the NCAA model the nfl challenge rules? I find myself watching college every week wondering if a review will happen and then see the nfl seem to get it right. Being able to challenge a pi, especially in college, seems like a huge turn in the game as well (see end of isu game today). Anyone think there’s a chance the NCAA will ever move towards an NFL model?

No. And I'd be surprised if the NFL keeps it. Maybe have it only reviewable in an automatic review situation (under 2:00)? Having coaches throw challenges has proven to be a waste of time.

spinback32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Both levels of referees are garbage. A 50 year old ref cannot keep up with 20-something year old players....it's way too fast for them.

I'm a Giants fan, and can tell you, the PI challenge rule in the NFL is a waste of time.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Thinking about it more. What if instead of review, you just had an official watching a monitor that could throw a flag in real time? With the speed of play and the bad angles, I can understand bad calls happening. Why not just give the officials the ability to watch it live like us? Not suggesting slow motion replays watched 10 times, just watching the live feed (or all 22) with a button to throw a flag.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
A PI challenge in the NFL almost never gets overturned. Plus, if you want to model the NFL challenge system, the 2-point conversion attempt happened in the final two minutes and wouldn't have been able to challenge it anyway.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why do you think changing how they do it will change anything? In college every play is reviewed. Penalties are judgement calls. You can call something on ever play if you want. We need less time taken for reviews not more. That last review on the TD was crap.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why do you think changing how they do it will change anything? In college every play is reviewed. Penalties are judgement calls. You can call something on ever play if you want. We need less time taken for reviews not more. That last review on the TD was crap.

Didn't that review sort of bail us out time wise though? I could be mistaken there was a lot going on at the end.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I hate the challenge of PI in the NFL. It was a rule that was only put in place because of cry baby Saints fans. Was it pass interference? Yes, but it was a missed call and deal with it. It sucks, but challenging PI is one of the many rules ruining the NFL. It would ruin college football too.

I mean that play cost the Saints a chance at a Super Bowl, but I don’t think coaches should be able to challenge it. I’d be fine with a booth review of PI but coaches challenging it is too much IMO

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Didn't that review sort of bail us out time wise though? I could be mistaken there was a lot going on at the end.

It looked like the Refs were holding it up. They did the same thing earlier in the game and reset the play clock. OU may have asked for that but who knows.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyclone06 and NWICY

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Well the PI flag they picked up was BS. It’s hard to jump and catch when you are being held down. At least a holding call would be in order. The two point conversion was pretty obvious PI. Hard to catch when you only have one arm to work with.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Sadly. but how many times are calls reversed when the ranked team always in the top 10 or so is involved. I'd like to see the stats on that. Last night our guy should have turned around in the endzone but I didn't think it pi. The 2 point non call was pathetic. Oklahoma.......

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’m not sure if the thread is about allowing coaches to challenge already reviewable plays or adding the ability to challenge PI, but coaches are allowed one challenge per half assuming they have a timeout to stop play. It’s generally pointless though because every play in college football is reviewed in real time.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
No. And I'd be surprised if the NFL keeps it. Maybe have it only reviewable in an automatic review situation (under 2:00)? Having coaches throw challenges has proven to be a waste of time.

Agree. They don't really decide based on what they see anyway. They have someone watching the slo-mo replay and get the message from above before they throw the challenge flag. Might as well just let "New York" do that. Give them until the ball is hiked on the next play to make the determination or let them play on.

Watching football anymore is way too many penalties and way too many reviews.