CFTV: Matt Campbell on how spring practice went

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Looking at the stats on cyclones.com, I take it we sat a lot of the starters. Looks like Montgomery didn't play, Lazard didn't play?, not sure who else.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
MW Barely played too....smart move..zero reason to get anyone hurt..

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Seeing a lot of coaches who downplay praise so that players will keep trying to improve. Yet we have ongoing culture issues. How many 4th quarter chokes did we have - UNI, OSU, BU, KSU? How do you motivate players to try harder without instilling doubt and panic during gameday? Our players act like they aren't expected to win tough games. Is it because they're being told they're not good enough? I know I couldn't align 85 young people from different backgrounds. Just being away from home is a culture shock for some. I have no answers, just questions.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyValley

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Seeing a lot of coaches who downplay praise so that players will keep trying to improve. Yet we have ongoing culture issues. How many 4th quarter chokes did we have - UNI, OSU, BU, KSU? How do you motivate players to try harder without instilling doubt and panic during gameday? Our players act like they aren't expected to win tough games. Is it because they're being told they're not good enough? I know I couldn't align 85 young people from different backgrounds. Just being away from home is a culture shock for some. I have no answers, just questions.
You are asking the wrong questions.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Being smart not pouring to much Kool aide out so early. It's a spring game and hard to see full potential and make sure no one gets hurt

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Well it first starts with having a solid O and Dline and depth that is big 12 depth. We wore down late in those games for that reason. It doesn't all turn around in 1 year with a program that had some of the worst talent in a decade at positions. We had walk ons starting on the Oline who had never played a snap previously.

This years team has talent and if both lines can stay relatively injury free then this team is going to surprise some folks.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

CMC has been addressing that very issue since he got to campus. There were a lot of players on the team that didn't buy in when he arrived. Some of them left making the team short handed, and some just finished their careers on the bench. He inherited a team with very few serviceable linemen, and did a great job of scraping enough together to be in the last 3 games you mentioned. No excuse for loosing to uni ever.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Well it first starts with having a solid O and Dline and depth that is big 12 depth. We wore down late in those games for that reason. It doesn't all turn around in 1 year with a program that had some of the worst talent in a decade at positions. We had walk ons starting on the Oline who had never played a snap previously.

This years team has talent and if both lines can stay relatively injury free then this team is going to surprise some folks.

Cannot like this enough. Every single thing a team is able to do on either side of the ball starts with line play. The lack of depth last year, and potentially this year, is the gift from CPR that keeps on giving due to chronic recruiting misses and lack of development on the OL and on defense.