Carpenter Ants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Found one in our home today, the first I have noticed. There is a line of rotting logs separating our property from the home to the west so I assume the nest is there. Anyone had luck clearing these with DIY stuff or should I get a pest management service in?

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
lol
construction-ants-2-3434622.jpg

CydlineFan

Oct 25, 2014
Terro works great....but I suggest the "nuclear option"....concentrated borax. If you look at Terro's active ingredient list, it's 5.4% borax and 95.6% active ingredient. Go buy a box of borax make a more concentrated batch. I guarantee you won't have ants again this year.

For the dry batch, I put some bait along the floor/wall edge and used my finger to spread a trace amount of bait along the perimeter of your wall. This will prevent ants from coming in and out. For the wet batch, go outside and carpet bomb their colony...problem solved!

https://www.practicallyfunctional.com/get-rid-of-ants-with-borax/
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-carpenter-ants-wings-borax-73366.html

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I had them in 2 spots in house, used Amdro and it eliminated both colonies. Comes in bait stations and granular.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Terro works great....but I suggest the "nuclear option"....concentrated borax. If you look at Terro's active ingredient list, it's 5.4% borax and 95.6% active ingredient. Go buy a box of borax make a more concentrated batch. I guarantee you won't have ants again this year.

For the dry batch, I put some bait along the floor/wall edge and used my finger to spread a trace amount of bait along the perimeter of your wall. This will prevent ants from coming in and out. For the wet batch, go outside and carpet bomb their colony...problem solved!

https://www.practicallyfunctional.com/get-rid-of-ants-with-borax/
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-carpenter-ants-wings-borax-73366.html

I second this. A mixture of warm water, sugar, a little maple syrup and borax. I used old plastic pill bottles and scoop a little into each and set them inside and outside every spring. Rids the house of them pretty quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I second this. A mixture of warm water, sugar, a little maple syrup and borax. I used old plastic pill bottles and scoop a little into each and set them inside and outside every spring. Rids the house of them pretty quickly.

If you time it right, at the right spot in the year, Spring, when they first emerge or are building a new colony, sugar solutions will work for carpenter ants. Usually though, Capenter ants are not attracted to sweets. There are specific carpenter ant baits that work really well. Advance Carpenter Ant Bait is the one I use.

Almost ebery thing you will buy at the store will say it wont work for carpenter ants. Also, if you can see their holes, get a puffer and Delta Dust and puff inside their nest for a quick knockdown. I only reccomend that if they are actually in your house though. If they are outside and you poison the nest, It is likely they will move and your house could become their new home.

They are attracted to wet and rotting wood. So best protection is to make sure you don't have any roof or other leaks in your house. That is the main reason I don't use wood mulch next to my house. The smell of mulch will attract them and eventually, they will find a way in.

I live next to a wooded nature preserve, so it has been a 22 year battle for me.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
We just sold our house and the termite inspection found carpenter ants in the shed which was already on it's last legs. I'm still bitter about that $160 bill. That's my somewhat related carpenter ant story.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I live next to a wooded nature preserve, so it has been a 22 year battle for me.

True. I live in a very wooded area with trees hanging over the top of my house, so it's a battle for me as well. I line the house with DE a few times a year as well, which seems to do a good job plus it's not toxic.

Amazon product

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I had a carpenter ant issue in my home for the first time last spring tried a few things before I found the terro carpenter ant bait. Once I sprinkled that around I stopped seeing them in a few days. It worked crazy fast. Saw a few this spring so I sprinkled more around.
My next step is to get rid of the ugly ass tree in my backyard. Anyone want to cut it down?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190610-153846_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-153846_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 12

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
What works for me! My killer shelf. see the paint peeling?

Attachments

• what works for me!.jpg
    what works for me!.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: