Car Issue

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Replaced the battery (Interstate MTP-48/H6) in our 2017 Buick Enclave (117k miles) a few weeks ago.

A few days later she said it wouldnt start. I went outside and it started right up for me.

Fast forward to this last Thursday and it wouldnt start again for her. I tried starting it and it was a no go and it had a single click sound but all the dash / interiors lights looked good. Check the terminals and shut off the radio and fan and it started.

Drove it last night to a party. Went to leave and it wouldnt start. Got a jump and drove home. Car started right up this morning.

Got the volt meter out this morning and here are the readings:

Not started: 12.52
Running: 14.8
Turned off: 12.25
Went back to 12.52 after a few minutes off.

Does this sound like a starter going bad?

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
Seems like quality of batteries has gone downhill lately. I have had (2) new off the shelf batteries that have had a bad cell in them. Sometimes works great, next time voltage is too low. Check the battery connections, but don't be afraid to have that battery load tested. Just because it is new, doesn't mean it is good.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Replaced the battery (Interstate MTP-48/H6) in our 2017 Buick Enclave (117k miles) a few weeks ago.

A few days later she said it wouldnt start. I went outside and it started right up for me.

Fast forward to this last Thursday and it wouldnt start again for her. I tried starting it and it was a no go and it had a single click sound but all the dash / interiors lights looked good. Check the terminals and shut off the radio and fan and it started.

Drove it last night to a party. Went to leave and it wouldnt start. Got a jump and drove home. Car started right up this morning.

It's always the Finsterwald valve

Mar 21, 2021

You might simply return it, exchange for another. I buy my batteries at Walmart, they accept returns on vehicle batteries for 90 days. If that doesn't solve prob, you'll know it ain't the battery.

Last edited:

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011

Are any of those readings from a time when it wouldn't turn over? Would really like to know where the battery is when it won't start.

Possible explanations:

1- bad starter that is failing to engage even though the battery level is good
2- loose connection from your previous battery swap
3- parasitic drain on the battery from software/firmware leaving things on when you turn the car off
4- parasitic drain from a hardware fault.

I had a combination of 3 and 4 that would sporadically kill the battery on my Ford fusion. Ford published a bulletin about a wiring harness getting frayed in the trunk area. Upgrading all firmware and applying the patchwork from that bulletin solved the issue.

Measuring the battery when the car won't start will eliminate some of these candidates.

H

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I'd follow the negative battery cable to the ground locations and make sure those look good. GMs do some weird things when the grounds start to get flaky. My 2013 Denali had gremlins.

Any dash lights at all? Mine would manifest as the fuel pump control module.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Does your car have an auxillary battery? If it's bad it can cause problems with the main battery.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This is how I discovered that some domestic auto makers actively hate their customers.
They do it on purpose to make more money. I've been changing my own batteries for 30 years but tried doing it my wife's Ford Escape and ended up having to take it in.

They are intentionally designing things more difficult now to make more off service. They don't want you fixing your own vehicle.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I'd follow the negative battery cable to the ground locations and make sure those look good. GMs do some weird things when the grounds start to get flaky. My 2013 Denali had gremlins.

Any dash lights at all? Mine would manifest as the fuel pump control module.
Everything appears normal minus it not starting sometimes.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Does it turnover at all when it does it? Could be the park switch. Could be a loose battery cable going down to the starter, or the ignition switch/relay in your engine compartment. Be sure there's nothing draining it like the trunk light or a Bluetooth receiver left plugged in. I've experienced both.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Everything appears normal minus it not starting sometimes.

Wiggle the wires with them connected to the battery. If one feels different/looser/real easy to wiggle…

Sometimes everything will look fine, but the copper wire strands where the connectors are crimped are broken.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Impossible to tell from what you gave. Go to any auto parts store and have them load test the battery and alternator. They'll do it for free. When you tested the running voltage you should have a high load, lights on, ac on etc. Could be the battery, alternator, your wires including grounds, a parasitic drain or less likely the starter. 12.52 is a little low for a new battery, that would indicate 80% to 90% charged, even less charged if it is an AGM.

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron