Calling all Auto Insurance Experts

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Personally having a local agent is old school fogey stuff...the local agent isnt going to be able to do much other than what you can on a good website. If you have a claim other folks will get involved, etc. The agent is there to sell you more than you need and profit.

I had a local agent for years, and finally realized when he didnt call back and was out of the office 2 out of 3 times I called him, I didnt actually get anything for my higher premiums. Had Farmers, and switched to Progressive and set it up online in like 20 minutes. All your data is online, and I felt dumb paying more for ****** service. Your experience may vary....

I dont have full coverage on any vehicles, they are all paid for the day I buy them. I would have a high deductible if for some reason I needed full coverage.

One other person recommended an umbrella policy. I think thats good advice too, maybe look into that for all of your needs? Good luck...

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Personally having a local agent is old school fogey stuff...the local agent isnt going to be able to do much other than what you can on a good website. If you have a claim other folks will get involved, etc. The agent is there to sell you more than you need and profit.

I had a local agent for years, and finally realized when he didnt call back and was out of the office 2 out of 3 times I called him, I didnt actually get anything for my higher premiums. Had Farmers, and switched to Progressive and set it up online in like 20 minutes. All your data is online, and I felt dumb paying more for ****** service. Your experience may vary....

I dont have full coverage on any vehicles, they are all paid for the day I buy them. I would have a high deductible if for some reason I needed full coverage.

One other person recommended an umbrella policy. I think thats good advice too, maybe look into that for all of your needs? Good luck...

Wait, unless you're just shuffling between low value vehicles this makes no sense. If you're buying newer/higher priced vehicles, you'd still want to protect your financial investment in them.

RafterJLcy

Mar 10, 2020
I would suggest putting your and your wife's vehicles on the same policy with the same limits. You can get multi vehicle discounts that way, and while the discounts aren't large, every little bit helps. As far as limits, 50/100/50 is very much on the low side. Many umbrella policies require you to have higher limits to purchase a million dollar policy.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Wait, unless you're just shuffling between low value vehicles this makes no sense. If you're buying newer/higher priced vehicles, you'd still want to protect your financial investment in them.

I have older vehicles (newest is a 2010), but i also work on them. My investment is minimal, as I pay cash from private parties. Cars are a **** investment, especially mainstream newer stuff. I have some cool stuff, but dont insure them all at the same time and take my chances. Low value is relative too....got an amg benz, 7 series bmw, classic cadillacs, suburban, tahoe, silverado, sports cars, etc. All not worth much if you crash them, but expensive to insure (your local agents favorite kind)....

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I have older vehicles (newest is a 2010), but i also work on them. My investment is minimal, as I pay cash from private parties. Cars are a **** investment, especially mainstream newer stuff. I have some cool stuff, but dont insure them all at the same time and take my chances. Low value is relative too....got an amg benz, 7 series bmw, classic cadillacs, suburban, tahoe, silverado, sports cars, etc. All not worth much if you crash them, but expensive to insure (your local agents favorite kind)....
I think you're in a much different situation than an average person not knowing what, how much, or where to insure things. working in the insurance industry there are a lot of people who don't actually know what their policy covers, so unless you're willing to put in the time and read through the policy packet and research things, it's nice to have an agent.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I've been shopping around for awhile, simply because Progressive started to fleece me after a little one car accident I had on an icy road in Feb of '19. The best quote I've gotten is from GEICO. Now, the kicker is I don't have a GEICO insurance agent anywhere remotely close to Dubuque, where I live. How big of a deal are we talking about here?

My Dad and Father in Law both think I should shop local for car insurance, talk to my insurance agent face to face etc. Is this some old fogey, boomer mind set or not? When I suggested it was a generational difference to my Dad (I got the GEICO quote online, obviously, and have only spoken to one of their agents over the phone and email) he told me it was simply a ME and HIM difference.

Lastly, the GEICO quote matches roughly what Progressive had me at coverage wise. The wife's policy through Farm Bureau has a little bit higher coverage, but also a higher deductible. But maybe her coverage is too much, or maybe mine isn't enough. What is an easy way to tell?

Find an independent agent that represents many companies and let them do the work for you. My local agent is fantastic. I signed everything electronically, and at our annual renewal, they look and make sure we still have the best deal for our options. We talk over the phone and email, it's been great. I've had nationwide, auto owners, state farm and now progressive. Your agent is the most important part, if you have a good agent, it really doesn't matter what company you have.

We have 250/500/500 through progressive, cheaper than we were paying 100/300/100 with our previous company. Those levels are required to get the $1mil umbrella. Being in the metro, one big accident adds up quick.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
If you're planning on quoting with allstate, I'd probably see what the rate is through esurance first (I believe allstate backs their policies). I doubt they clear against each other but just in case.

I've had esurance for 4-5 years for our house/cars: it started off dirt cheap and continues to be dirt cheap on renewal

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
If you're planning on quoting with allstate, I'd probably see what the rate is through esurance first (I believe allstate backs their policies). I doubt they clear against each other but just in case.

I've had esurance for 4-5 years for our house/cars: it started off dirt cheap and continues to be dirt cheap on renewal
Have to say I thought esurance was just a quote blaster, not a direct writer of insurance.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Not having read the previous posts on this thread, I think you are just moving your situation from one discount insurance company to another. If you want better service, you will likely need to choose a company with an agent you can face to face with. If you want cheaper insurance without a face, but are willing to deal with nickels and dimes, then go with GEICO or just stick with Progressive.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've had the same State Farm agent since 2008. About 1.5 miles from my house and I've talked to him once in person. Talked to the receptionist maybe 3 times in person.

I really like State Farm and they've been easy to work with on a couple incidents. But I'm not really sure how much value they add to an online auto insurance company.

I really should shop around but I hate even the idea of that.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I've been in the business for pushing 15 years now and truest fact on the planet is that people that don't need an agent think they do and call all the time and people that really do need an agent never pick up the phone and shop online.

You'd be amazed at the number of incredibly well off people that have tons of assets and tons to lose are driving around in their brand new BMWs with damn near state minimum coverage while not disclosing to Progressive all of the members of their household. It's frightening.

Also, whoever it was that's paying $100 a month for an umbrella, unless you have a horrible claims history, you're getting ripped off.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I've been shopping around for awhile, simply because Progressive started to fleece me after a little one car accident I had on an icy road in Feb of '19. The best quote I've gotten is from GEICO. Now, the kicker is I don't have a GEICO insurance agent anywhere remotely close to Dubuque, where I live. How big of a deal are we talking about here?

My Dad and Father in Law both think I should shop local for car insurance, talk to my insurance agent face to face etc. Is this some old fogey, boomer mind set or not? When I suggested it was a generational difference to my Dad (I got the GEICO quote online, obviously, and have only spoken to one of their agents over the phone and email) he told me it was simply a ME and HIM difference.

Lastly, the GEICO quote matches roughly what Progressive had me at coverage wise. The wife's policy through Farm Bureau has a little bit higher coverage, but also a higher deductible. But maybe her coverage is too much, or maybe mine isn't enough. What is an easy way to tell?

Watch out for Geico. I had them quote home and auto and ended up switching because of the homeowners policy was better, especially in terms of roof replacement.

However, when I got my declaration page for auto I found out they had totally dropped collision on my truck "because it is over 10 years old and most people don't carry collision then".

I figured I was smart enough to know when I didn't want collision coverage.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've been in the business for pushing 15 years now and truest fact on the planet is that people that don't need an agent think they do and call all the time and people that really do need an agent never pick up the phone and shop online.

You'd be amazed at the number of incredibly well off people that have tons of assets and tons to lose are driving around in their brand new BMWs with damn near state minimum coverage while not disclosing to Progressive all of the members of their household. It's frightening.

Also, whoever it was that's paying $100 a month for an umbrella, unless you have a horrible claims history, you're getting ripped off.

I texted and had an agent quote me 2MM umbrella and it was 65/month. About what my mill is now so I am going to have to check more into this. No accidents to note.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Given the amount of insurance jobs in Iowa, I always try to guess who works for who haha.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Request quotes from more than one company. Ask questions, especially the ones I listed above.
Every year (and I tell this to my family members) shop your insurance around. Don’t just accept the renewal policy. Companies change rates and rating factors all the time. You never know if you are getting the best deal unless you check out the competition.
Good luck!
I'm trying to do this every few years myself just because of the time it can take. so far State Farm has tried to say they have lowered rates and will work on a quote for me but then never call back, and Allstate still beats every one by a few hundred dollars overall, but again my situation will be different then the next so the best advice is as you said shop around and make sure the coverage's are actually comparable.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Our 1 mil umbrella is ~$150/year.
under 30 and still technically single might be bumping my rates up a bit still, hell most places wanted over $1000 a year for full coverage on my $8k sports bike when I first got it, had to go under my parents insurance for it for a while even with having a motorcycle license when I turned 16 and a permit before that even, with multiple safety courses taken because of the military.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
under 30 and still technically single might be bumping my rates up a bit still, hell most places wanted over $1000 a year for full coverage on my $8k sports bike when I first got it, had to go under my parents insurance for it for a while even with having a motorcycle license when I turned 16 and a permit before that even, with multiple safety courses taken because of the military.

Told they go by age, driving record, businesses, age of all drivers, your income, credit history was mentioned, a few other things I don’t remember.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Told they go by age, driving record, businesses, age of all drivers, your income, credit history was mentioned, a few other things I don’t remember.
age and driving record (clean) are the biggest factors then credit score.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron