Calling all Auto Insurance Experts

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've been shopping around for awhile, simply because Progressive started to fleece me after a little one car accident I had on an icy road in Feb of '19. The best quote I've gotten is from GEICO. Now, the kicker is I don't have a GEICO insurance agent anywhere remotely close to Dubuque, where I live. How big of a deal are we talking about here?

My Dad and Father in Law both think I should shop local for car insurance, talk to my insurance agent face to face etc. Is this some old fogey, boomer mind set or not? When I suggested it was a generational difference to my Dad (I got the GEICO quote online, obviously, and have only spoken to one of their agents over the phone and email) he told me it was simply a ME and HIM difference.

Lastly, the GEICO quote matches roughly what Progressive had me at coverage wise. The wife's policy through Farm Bureau has a little bit higher coverage, but also a higher deductible. But maybe her coverage is too much, or maybe mine isn't enough. What is an easy way to tell?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I've been shopping around for awhile, simply because Progressive started to fleece me after a little one car accident I had on an icy road in Feb of '19. The best quote I've gotten is from GEICO. Now, the kicker is I don't have a GEICO insurance agent anywhere remotely close to Dubuque, where I live. How big of a deal are we talking about here?

My Dad and Father in Law both think I should shop local for car insurance, talk to my insurance agent face to face etc. Is this some old fogey, boomer mind set or not? When I suggested it was a generational difference to my Dad (I got the GEICO quote online, obviously, and have only spoken to one of their agents over the phone and email) he told me it was simply a ME and HIM difference.

Lastly, the GEICO quote matches roughly what Progressive had me at coverage wise. The wife's policy through Farm Bureau has a little bit higher coverage, but also a higher deductible. But maybe her coverage is too much, or maybe mine isn't enough. What is an easy way to tell?
what are your limits compared to hers and then the cost of each policy? Also have you shopped Allstate at all? I shopped around after buying a house 2 years ago and recently re-shopped just to see if I could save anything and Allstate still easily beats everyone's basic coverage when I have 250/500 through Allstate. I did every thing online for Allstate and only met the Agent in Waterloo (1hr away) to sign the papers, and then once a year to review policies.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
what are your limits compared to hers and then the cost of each policy? Also have you shopped Allstate at all? I shopped around after buying a house 2 years ago and recently re-shopped just to see if I could save anything and Allstate still easily beats everyone's basic coverage when I have 250/500 through Allstate. I did every thing online for Allstate and only met the Agent in Waterloo (1hr away) to sign the papers, and then once a year to review policies.
I am covered pretty basically. 50k/100k and my deductibles are both at 500. She has hers at 250/500 deductibles at 1000. We rent, so not much in the way of assets is concerned, which is why I was at 50/100. She couldn't even tell you why she's covered at 250/500, probably something her Dad set up for her when she was 18.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Been with State Farm for 15 years, no complaints. Started using their drive safe app about 15 months ago and have saved almost 200 bucks throughout the year.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Been with State Farm for 15 years, no complaints. Started using their drive safe app about 15 months ago and have saved almost 200 bucks throughout the year.
Insurance is so freaking fickle when it comes to certain stuff that effects rates, my parents back in Ankeny have been with State Farm for years (like before I was born), and even when I was out in NC SF was still competitively priced for the coverage (under my parents policy still) yet when I bought my house in NE Iowa SF wasn't even close to Allstate (but then again no one else is either..), even shopping individual policies or as a multi policy quote.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ve never had a problem not having a geico agent nearby. Generally just quote with them all and see who’s lowest.

Some of them do things like gap insurance that others don’t, you might be interested in it underwater in car. Stuff like that.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I’ve never had a problem not having a geico agent nearby. Generally just quote with them all and see who’s lowest.

Some of them do things like gap insurance that others don’t, you might be interested in it underwater in car. Stuff like that.
yep you inevitably have to basically shop everyone to find the best deal for yourself. SF still calls asking to do quotes then will never call back after.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
FWIW I had a very negative experience with Allstate. Person backed into my car in Home Depot. Called cop, got report. Showed it was his fault. Filed claim through Allstate (per my company's recommendation).

They 'determined' I was 50% liable. No matter what I did they would not come off the dime. They would talk to me but no amount of logic and proof would make them change the determination.

Finally had to go through my insurance. So I paid the deductible to get my car fixed. Then my insurance company got the settlement from Allstate and they reimbursed my for the deductible.

I HATE ALLSTATE..

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
FWIW I had a very negative experience with Allstate. Person backed into my car in Home Depot. Called cop, got report. Showed it was his fault. Filed claim through Allstate (per my company's recommendation).

They 'determined' I was 50% liable. No matter what I did they would not come off the dime. They would talk to me but no amount of logic and proof would make them change the determination.

Finally had to go through my insurance. So I paid the deductible to get my car fixed. Then my insurance company got the settlement from Allstate and they reimbursed my for the deductible.

I HATE ALLSTATE..
that's basically what an insurance agency is supposed to do though. I went through a situation out in San Diego where someone made a left turn in front of me at a light that was out, only spoke to SF (my Insurance) and they denied the claim from the other party through Progressive. In other words only speak to your insurance agency (this is coming from my father who works in insurance) and request the other agency go through your insurance for everything (even if they call you directly). the other parties insurance can not force you to make a statement against yourself.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Carry a nice umbrella policy no matter what. An insurance company will fight a little harder if their exposure is 2.5MM versus 500k

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Ouch, I don't pay that and that covers a couple businesses and a semi on the road.
as I kind of said before, it really depends on the insurance agency, area, and policy sometimes.. Allstate is the cheapest by far for my current situation, but might not fit everyone. Which is why you have to shop around for insurance, no matter the time commitment.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I’ve never had a problem not having a geico agent nearby. Generally just quote with them all and see who’s lowest....

I did that several years ago and Geico was the lowest. Unfortunately they jacked the rates so fast I unloaded them.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
that's basically what an insurance agency is supposed to do though. I went through a situation out in San Diego where someone made a left turn in front of me at a light that was out, only spoke to SF (my Insurance) and they denied the claim from the other party through Progressive. In other words only speak to your insurance agency (this is coming from my father who works in insurance) and request the other agency go through your insurance for everything (even if they call you directly). the other parties insurance can not force you to make a statement against yourself.

I called my insurance company first and they're the ones who told me to go through the other guy's insurance company first. I just did what they recommended. In hindsight it was a huge clusterf and I wish I'd have just filed with mine right away instead.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

OK, first question to ask yourself: how comfortable are you in your understanding of auto insurance?
  • Do you understand the pros and cons of carrying high limits of liability vs low limits?
  • How about the proper amount of deductible on your physical damage coverage?
  • Do you know the difference between uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage?
  • What is a good level of medical payments coverage?
  • Do you need loan/lease coverage?
  • Is roadside assistance a good deal?
If you feel comfortable with these questions, then go ahead and sign up with GEICO. I say this because GEICO does not have insurance agents. They have customer service reps who can help you process coverage changes, but they likely won’t give you sound advice on what kinds of coverage and how much coverage you should carry.

If you don’t feel comfortable about car insurance, then find an independent agent. They will work for you and help find a policy that best fits your financial situation. You can look at a State Farm or an Allstate but keep in mind that those agents are exclusively representing one company and can only show you what their insurance company provides.

Request quotes from more than one company. Ask questions, especially the ones I listed above. If you aren’t satisfied with the answers, go find a different agent and go through the process again. You want someone who will provide you great service and attention to your situation. Don’t settle for some guy who’s only interested in collecting his commission check - there are plenty of those out there.

Every year (and I tell this to my family members) shop your insurance around. Don’t just accept the renewal policy. Companies change rates and rating factors all the time. You never know if you are getting the best deal unless you check out the competition.

Good luck!

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
Have you tried an independent insurance agent that represents multiple companies? We are with West Bend through an independent agent, and I don't think any of the companies mentioned can touch our rates. Demographics, however, may not be similar.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
To me it's just a personal preference. Some people want an agent they can see. Either way an agent can explain your options and needs. Bottom line, if you ever have a claim, it gets handled by whatever claim adjuster is assigned to you. And over that you have no control. And all companies have adjusters that are good and a few that are so-so. So don't let a negative review affect your choice, IMO.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Have you tried an independent insurance agent that represents multiple companies? We are with West Bend through an independent agent, and I don't think any of the companies mentioned can touch our rates. Demographics, however, may not be similar.
I got hooked up with Progressive from an independent agent. I went back and talked to the same agent when Progressive bumped my premiums up by about $80/month after my 1-car incident on an icy road. I asked him if he could find any better deals for me. He basically told me that my premiums had gone up because of my accident (duh) and that it would stay on the scale/record that insurance companies use to determine risk for at least 3 years, possibly 5, so I'm probably stuck paying these high premiums for at least that long. No effort at all on his part to check with the 4 (at least) other companies he can sell insurance for. That kind of weakened my faith in him and his independent company. Couldn't help me out despite being a loyal customer of the agency for 8 years or more.