C-RTC & Recruiting

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
You are clueless. Nate Carr is not making much through the CWC. He does a lot of motivational speaking. Palmer is making minimum as volunteer coach. My educated guess is their budget is probably around $250 - $300k (maybe less) and as mentioned they will not spend their budget this year due to COVID. I’m sure they are building up their cash flow so they can retain future ISU post grads and invest in other top talent. It’s called running a business.
What exactly am I clueless about? My point was that KD has done an excellent job raising finds, one. That ISU & the CRTC has a good coaching staff, two. That the CRTC doesn't have much talent in the cupboard, three. Your rebuttal is Carr, nor Palmer make much and nothing else. I'd say that futhers my point of the discrepancy between the coaching talent and the athlete talent as it relates to the allocation of funds. Try again.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I would love to have Perry as head coach after Dresser.
Idk if I would be about that IMHO. As much as he seems to change jobs (which nothing is wrong with that) Id feel like it would just be a matter of time before he went somewhere else. Something I think we don’t need. I’m in the Metcalf camp for taking over when the time comes.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I would love to have Perry as head coach after Dresser.
Not me. I'd rank Metcalf and David Carr above him looking that far down the road. By that time you might also have JB, DT, Snyder, Cox and a bunch of others who could be top candidates.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Not me. I'd rank Metcalf and David Carr above him looking that far down the road. By that time you might also have JB, DT, Snyder, Cox and a bunch of others who could be top candidates.
This is insane. David Carr??? Metcalf could be there in 5 years, but we don’t know yet. What has anyone seen from him that you think he could be a head coach? What am I missing?

He changes assistantship jobs. This is a very normal thing for a young coaches to do. There is a big difference here. There are only 5-10 programs you’d rather be head coach of than ISU. He wouldn’t be leaving ISU’s head position.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
This is insane. David Carr??? Metcalf could be there in 5 years, but we don’t know yet. What has anyone seen from him that you think he could be a head coach? What am I missing?

He changes assistantship jobs. This is a very normal thing for a young coaches to do. There is a big difference here. There are only 5-10 programs you’d rather be head coach of than ISU. He wouldn’t be leaving ISU’s head position.

Metcalf left his job with USA wrestling like a week in to it, LOL.

Call me insane then. My point is that Dressers not going anywhere for years and by that time Carr could be a hot commodity. What exactly has Perry done to be anointed the next Sanderson/Gable type guy other than being in the Smith family. The Carr family has a pretty great history too... look it up.

Metcalf has left 1 job that I know of and the reasons are well known...as is his loyalty to his wife and being in Iowa. What are Perrys reasons and loyalty? Feel free to educate me with some sane opinions of your own.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Call me insane then. My point is that Dressers not going anywhere for years and by that time Carr could be a hot commodity. What exactly has Perry done to be anointed the next Sanderson/Gable type guy other than being in the Smith family. The Carr family has a pretty great history too... look it up.

Metcalf has left 1 job that I know of and the reasons are well known...as is his loyalty to his wife and being in Iowa. What are Perrys reasons and loyalty? Feel free to educate me with some sane opinions of your own.
Dresser is gone in 5 years. Carr will be in his 1st full time Olympic quad. He’d still be 3-7 years (minimum) out from being a head coach.

Loyalty means nothing. Jackson was loyal, but a terrible coach. Cael ruined his alma mater to go build a power house in Pennsylvania.

Metcalf could be a good coach. In 5 years, we’ll see. Right now if we rated coaches, Metcalf and Perry are on different planets.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
My top 2 choices to replace Dresser when the time comes would be Metcalf or Reader.

Jon is pulling in some serious talent to Wisconsin.
I don't pretend to know Jon but he has paid his dues. If he wants a HC job and ours is open in the next 5 years, I would like him to get a look for it.

Reactions: Cypwr

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Reader > Perry.

Also, Dressers contract is up in 5 years but I assume he could continue on if he wants too and is having success. However, I don't really know him like Crabs does.

Reactions: cyputz

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Reader > Perry.

Also, Dressers contract is up in 5 years but I assume he could continue on if he wants too and is having success. However, I don't really know him like Crabs does.
I don’t think Reader is better than Perry, but he would be very good. Much better than Metcalf or Carr.

Don’t know about Dresser, but he will be pretty old for a head coach.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I don’t think Reader is better than Perry, but he would be very good. Much better than Metcalf or Carr.

Don’t know about Dresser, but he will be pretty old for a head coach.
Just curious what your reason is for not wanting Metcalf? What coaching traits does he lack in your eyes...not trying to start a pissing war just curious maybe there’s something a few of us are missing?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Just curious what your reason is for not wanting Metcalf? What coaching traits does he lack in your eyes...not trying to start a pissing war just curious maybe there’s something a few of us are missing?
Clearly, he lacks in recruiting. Also, he is very young. Does not seem like a great fundraiser and good at strategy for a program. I think he’s a good on the mat coach, but is incredibly green from a coaching perspective. Like I said, by the time Dresser retires, maybe Metcalf will be that guy. But right now he is light years behind someone like Perry in experience and success.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Clearly, Jamie doesn't like dealing with the wrestling program and he already made his one big investment in Dresser & Co. He will not make any move until we are back to going 1-10 in duals like we were a few years ago.

That said, Reader would be my top choice (& would've last time around) should any change be made, but are we sure he'd be interested. If I'm not mistaken, there is a lot of bad blood between Pollard and Bono. And Reader has spent a lot of time with Bono.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Clearly, Jamie doesn't like dealing with the wrestling program and he already made his one big investment in Dresser & Co. He will not make any move until we are back to going 1-10 in duals like we were a few years ago.

That said, Reader would be my top choice (& would've last time around) should any change be made, but are we sure he'd be interested. If I'm not mistaken, there is a lot of bad blood between Pollard and Bono. And Reader has spent a lot of time with Bono.

I'd call the "bad blood " fake news. Bono was brought in with KJ but had a different opinion on how to run the program so he took the high road and resigned. Shorty afterwards the SDSU opportunity came along. The reason had nothing to do with Pollard.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't know if it is a factor or how big of a factor it is,
But when just comparing Bono/Reader/McD and Dresser/Metcalf/St John, I think Big 10 vs not being in Big 10 is a factor. Also think if you are not in Big 10, the next big reason is East coast vs Midwest.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I'd call the "bad blood " fake news. Bono was brought in with KJ but had a different opinion on how to run the program so he took the high road and resigned. Shorty afterwards the SDSU opportunity came along. The reason had nothing to do with Pollard.
Good to know! Thanks!

Help Support Us

Become a patron