Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Hey! That's the bread-and-butter play that somehow persists in that lovely offensive chart this staff picked up from the CPR staff.
Manning should watch how Buffalo does it. They put a reciever in motion then use him to get push behind the QB. It's not like Dekkers is small either.

Bit it makes much more sense to start 7 yards back just to get back to the LOS.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Honest question: do you believe that CMC will do what needs to be done to address these things? Or is he hoping to just land another NFL RB to mask these problems?
well considering the one year Manning was with the Colts, CMC took control of the play calling for the 2018 season, no, I don't have much faith. Myers and Manning need to go and CMC needs to hire someone who can bring a 2022 style offense to Iowa State. Also, I think we need to focus more on offensive weapons in terms of recruiting too. X being the only "go to" receiver makes our offense even more one dimensional

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: joefrog and Daserop

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Ah, so his go to card of hating the special teams is gone so he chose to ***** about the fans instead? Stunning

You'd think for someone whos supposed to be this football genius like people claim he is that hed actually, you know, try and explain whats happening with the offense and tell us why its doing what. But nope. Thats why he sucks

There's about 10 comments giving better analysis here than what he gives every week
You are welcome to do a similar breakdown. Please post it if you do.

He didn't say anything about the fans specifically. Just noted that none of us, from our position, can really pinpoint the issues. We observe symptoms and try to infer causes.

Just because you agree with 10 other comments doesn't mean they're any better informed. Bruns is just a fan who happened to play at ISU 20 years ago. He has a better understanding of football than 99% of posters on this site, self included. Probably better than 99% of the sports journalists in Iowa.

We all know the offense is bad. There are lots of things wrong, and no single "solution" is likely to fix it - even firing the entire offensive staff. But if it makes you feel better to gnash your teeth, go off king.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
well considering the one year Manning was with the Colts, CMC took control of the play calling for the 2018 season, no, I don't have much faith. Myers and Manning need to go and CMC needs to hire someone who can bring a 2022 style offense to Iowa State. Also, I think we need to focus more on offensive weapons in terms of recruiting too. X being the only "go to" receiver makes our offense even more one dimensional
Not backfilling the OC position during that year was utterly bizarre from any perspective....

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
My big takeaways from a really well done podcast.

1. Our formations are not good. They make it too easy for the defense and don't set us up for success. We don't have the most offensive talent in the league so this is an area we have to take advantage of to scheme some advantages.

2. Our OLine is poorly coached. Multiple times where Bruns pointed out OLine mistakes that at this point in the season shouldn't be happening (half the line doing one thing while the other half does something else). At minimum we need a shakeup here in the staff this off season. OLine is so important and is a position group that should be better by now.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
You are welcome to do a similar breakdown. Please post it if you do.

He didn't say anything about the fans specifically. Just noted that none of us, from our position, can really pinpoint the issues. We observe symptoms and try to infer causes.

Just because you agree with 10 other comments doesn't mean they're any better informed. Bruns is just a fan who happened to play at ISU 20 years ago. He has a better understanding of football than 99% of posters on this site, self included. Probably better than 99% of the sports journalists in Iowa.

We all know the offense is bad. There are lots of things wrong, and no single "solution" is likely to fix it - even firing the entire offensive staff. But if it makes you feel better to gnash your teeth, go off king.
Excellent response.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
...... So we can't definitively know if it's coaching, execution or both....
When guys are totally whiffing on blocks, and there's no push with most of the line, it's execution. If their technique is poor and the cause of the problem, it's coaching. If we don't have the talent, it's coaching.
Trying to make this out to be rocket science is just good CF debate.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
When guys are totally whiffing on blocks, and there's no push with most of the line, it's execution. If their technique is poor and the cause of the problem, it's coaching. If we don't have the talent, it's coaching.
Just curious if you listened to the podcast?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Thanks for heads up on Bruns podcast, will have to check out.

I realize it is hard to analyze technique or what's being taught. But it is pretty easy to see that our OL is ineffective and has been for the last 3-4 years. Sure we have seemed to get better as the season progressed, but that isn't acceptable.

Something is broke- player, coaching or both when a group with the experience of Miller, Hufford, Downing, Simmons and Remsburg. The later 4 are all RS-Juniors or RS-Seniors. That group should have been playing at a high level week 1! The other interesting thing, I haven't noticed much substitution this season a long the OL.

I would expect some coaching shift this off-season. One trend around CFB is OC Run Game & OC Pass Game. Would Campbell consider bringing in a OC Pass game to open up the offense a bit. It's pretty hard to run the ball when opposing defenses don't have to worry about passes beyond 10 yards often.

Would also be curious to hear Bruns or Rosenfels take on Dekkers' progress throughout the season. I might be wrong, but it seems like he has fell in love with passing the ball side arm. It causes his passes to float. I just don't recall him going side arm so much the first few weeks.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I haven't listened yet, but will today hopefully. Did he talk about that weird snap that Downing fired off in the first half?

Reactions: Bigman38

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Not only whiffing on blocks, but we don't sustain blocks. Its like we blow off the line, hit the defender and guys stop moving their feet. We get no push.

Andrews was brought in to make guys stronger along the line and not sure I am seeing the power or even mobility I expected with a change in S&C coach.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
My big takeaways from a really well done podcast.

1. Our formations are not good. They make it too easy for the defense and don't set us up for success. We don't have the most offensive talent in the league so this is an area we have to take advantage of to scheme some advantages.

2. Our OLine is poorly coached. Multiple times where Bruns pointed out OLine mistakes that at this point in the season shouldn't be happening (half the line doing one thing while the other half does something else). At minimum we need a shakeup here in the staff this off season. OLine is so important and is a position group that should be better by now.

This was my take away too. You could tell Bruns was thinking "what in the hell was that scheme or play call" several times when breaking it down.

The scariest part of this for me was 1) the scheme seems to be very predictable, 2) we don't adjust (Bruns references a play call where there were 10 people in the box and we still ran it), 3) we appear to be doing some very, very basic things poorly.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Does it talk about the stupidity of snapping the ball 7 yards behind the LOS and handing off to a stationary running back just to gain an inch?

Brilliant play calling.
I want you to know that history suggests running from shotgun in short yardage produces a higher success rate than running from under center.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I want you to know that history suggests running from shotgun in short yardage produces a higher success rate than running from under center.

This is true, but I wonder if you eliminate teams with actual running quarterbacks from the stats if they still hold up.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I haven't listened yet, but will today hopefully. Did he talk about that weird snap that Downing fired off in the first half?
He did as he talked about every play, but I can’t remember what he said.