Brockington and the NBA Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
For those of you who know more about the NBA than me...

Does the NBA like lefties? Are they considered an odd changeup that messes with defenders?

Or does it not like them because they're kind of weird mechanically?

Or does it not care -- productivity matters and most everybody is functionally ambidextrous?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Does the NBA like lefties? Are they considered an odd changeup that messes with defenders?

Or does it not care -- productivity matters and most everybody is functionally ambidextrous?

#3 Doesn't care... Bucket getters are bucket getters. James Hardin for instance is left handed.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Brett44

Nov 26, 2014
You see older guys drafted more in the 2nd round since the standard contract for a 2nd rounder is a 1+1 followed by RFA. They don’t have the same runway as 1st rounders so if they make the roster teams often want them to produce early. First rounders have four years before restricted free agency.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Going into the year I didn't think we would have anyone to follow for the draft, but it shouldn't be a surprise that he's starting to show on some draft boards. Should be fun to follow if he keeps playing this well.
All I know (and this is no slight to Matt Thomas or Naz Long), if they can make nba rosters.... Isiah Brockington sure should. He's a gifted player, lethal at the mid range two, an incredible athlete, gets rebounds, can play gritty D, oh and is a great teammate.

How many games this year against quality teams has he had 20 pts+? Has to be a half dozen..

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
That mid range game of his is kind of unique. As we've seen it's deadly, and something a lot of teams don't see a lot of. I liken his draft stock to Nader's who I was surprised made a roster.

• Winner
Reactions: MTCyclone43

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I could see him drafted late 2nd or going the UDFA route and getting a 2- way deal. Seems doable for a guy who could project well as a 3 and D or lockdown defender even

Reactions: MTCyclone43

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I could see him drafted late 2nd or going the UDFA route and getting a 2- way deal. Seems doable for a guy who could project well as a 3 and D or lockdown defender even
Yeah and a guy that if had a shot in the right spot, could have one of those games that blows people away and he could stick with a team

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Someone will draft this man. I love the nickname NBADraft.net gives him. I think it needs to catch on.
43. San Antonio Spurs (via LAL): Izaiah Brockington, SG, Iowa State, Sr.

Mid-range maestro who knows how to elevate on his jumper and finish with power at the rim. Could be a spark plug off the bench with the relentless energy and effort he plays with on both ends of the floor.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Wouldn’t be surprised one way or the other. Tough to say. Late second round to a team that values the defense, rebounding from a guard position, and midrange game is plausible (funny link above mentions Spurs as I could see him going to that kind of a team). On the other hand, NBA seems way more interested in drafting younger players with potential in the off chance they might blow up and he doesn’t really match that profile.

There is no way there are 60 better players in college right now, but draft works in mysterious ways and college game doesn’t always translate - positively or negatively.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

NBA gms will value his defense way more than any non-NBA fans realize, look at how rapidly Georges improved on defense. It wasn't by accident. It was the only way to advance his career. If you aren't a great defender you have to be an all star level scorer and IB is that for college but not at next level among shooting guards. Of course being dominant with one hand doesn't help but I don't think it's a death sentence.

The way he has been hitting the 3 and long 3s recently is absolutely the best thing he could have done for scouts. It's why I went from thinking he wouldn't be drafted to a guy who has a shot at second round pick or sticking eventually without being drafted.

Reactions: isutrevman

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wouldn’t be surprised one way or the other. Tough to say. Late second round to a team that values the defense, rebounding from a guard position, and midrange game is plausible (funny link above mentions Spurs as I could see him going to that kind of a team). On the other hand, NBA seems way more interested in drafting younger players with potential in the off chance they might blow up and he doesn’t really match that profile.

There is no way there are 60 better players in college right now, but draft works in mysterious ways and college game doesn’t always translate - positively or negatively.

It's also more like 30-40 American players that get drafted a year now too. International draft picks are hitting as often as domestic ones and sometimes absolute multi-year MVP level home runs in Doncic and Jokic.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
NBA gms will value his defense way more than any non-NBA fans realize, look at how rapidly Georges improved on defense. It wasn't by accident. It was the only way to advance his career. If you aren't a great defender you have to be an all star level scorer and IB is that for college but not at next level among shooting guards. Of course being dominant with one hand doesn't help but I don't think it's a death sentence.

The way he has been hitting the 3 and long 3s recently is absolutely the best thing he could have done for scouts. It's why I went from thinking he wouldn't be drafted to a guy who has a shot at second round pick or sticking eventually without being drafted.

I don't think he's hit many long threes.

He's been feasting on open corner threes -- ones that are about the same distance from the hoop as many of his mid-range step-backs only they count for three points instead of two, of course.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I don’t see him making it in the NBA.

I hope we can put together an NIL deal that’s equivalent to what he’d make overseas to keep him here another year, then hope he goes overseas and has a productive career where he makes a lot of money.

Reactions: CloniesForLife