Breweries to survive coronavirus?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
The only one I’ve found in the area doing growler refills is Fenceline in Huxley. They sanitize it first by running it through their dishwasher.
How is Fenceline? I've stopped by Alluvial to pick up some crowlers a couple of times and intended to stop in Huxley on the way back, but didn't really want to wait for beer I've never tired.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
How is Fenceline? I've stopped by Alluvial to pick up some crowlers a couple of times and intended to stop in Huxley on the way back, but didn't really want to wait for beer I've never tired.

Definitely not on Alluvials level but they’re new so hopefully they will improve.

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
My buddy sent me a snap chat of a bottle of Peace Tree Blonde Fatale that said it was brewed by Backpocket. I wonder what's up there?

Was it an older bottle?
I think Backpocket has done some contract brewing for them in the past.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
I would love it if there was something like an Iowa only version of Tavour (if not familiar it's basically a craft beer by mail club). I'm someone out in the sticks and a ways away from all my favorite breweries. I used to have regular reasons to travel to Des Moines and would stock up there, but those trips are gone for the moment. I've been hitting the local HyVee but the selection is just so so here.

I've been stepping up my consumption levels to do my part to support breweries. Mainly sources through larger Tavour orders. If I had an option to do similar but Iowa focused I'd love to.

I know the Iowa Beer Tent or someone out of DSM was doing one over the holidays as I got one for my Bro-In-Law and dad, but not sure if they are doing that year-round.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
In Cedar Rapids:
- Third Base Brewery in CR is apparently open as a restaurant that serves beer. I'm sure there is a limit to who is there and where they may sit. I haven't been there though, so don't know the details.
- Granite City in CR is back open to limited groups, and I hear the bar is closed at the moment.
Others sound like they are continuing curbside pickup, etc.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Any DC area residents here? I’ve been ordering a ton of Aslin beer since this pandemic and have been ordering from The Veil and Vasen about two hours south of DC. All three are excellent and are thriving while still doing curbside pickup.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I just drink ice cold Budweiser, so any of these IPA swilling wannabes can fold up like a cheap suit.

Hoks still stuck.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think this latest closure could be the final straw for a lot of places. 1717 just said their sales were down 80% and they are pretty pissed at Reynolds. Some of surly's staff are threatening to unionize.

One idea that seemed interesting was to temporarily raise the drinking age to 25.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I think this latest closure could be the final straw for a lot of places. 1717 just said their sales were down 80% and they are pretty pissed at Reynolds. Some of surly's staff are threatening to unionize.

One idea that seemed interesting was to temporarily raise the drinking age to 25.

You lost me.

I checked out 1717's beer list and wouldn't even stop by if I was back in Iowa. Looks boring.

Why does Surly's staff want to unionize? You provided no context.

Whose idea is it to raise the drinking age and what purpose would that serve?

Blink twice if you aren't okay.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Raising the drinking age would be dumb. But then again, i think having a different age for drinking and every other adult thing is dumb. Its not like people under 25 are the only ones that have behaved poorly during ths virus. Those who are young have often just been more visible about it.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Wtf would raising the drinking age do? Alienate more adults of their liberties?