Bracketology 2024

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Lunardi just said we won't be a 1 seed because 1) human nature - committee likely had 1 seeds picked Thursday or Friday and 2) a strength of nonconference schedule in the 300s which a one seed has never, and will never have on their resume.

Those are the lamest excuses ever. No mention of our Q1 record or overall strength of schedule.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The best draw for ISU is to be a 2 seed with Purdue being the 1 seed in our side of the bracket. That put us in Omaha and allows us to miss both UCONN and Arizona, the two teams that we want to avoid until the final four.

We do not want the final 1 seed out West and have Arizona as the 2 seed, no fans out there to support us and we are playing in Arizona's back yard.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The best draw for ISU is to be a 2 seed with Purdue being the 1 seed in our side of the bracket. That put us in Omaha and allows us to miss both UCONN and Arizona, the two teams that we want to avoid until the final four.

We do not want the final 1 seed out West and have Arizona as the 2 seed, no fans out there to support us and we are playing in Arizona's back yard.

WE WILL BE IN OMAHA NO MATTER WHAT.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Lunardi just said we won't be a 1 seed because 1) human nature - committee like had 1 seeds picked Thursday or Friday and 2) a strength of nonconference schedule in the 300s which a one seed has never, and will never have on their resume.

Those are the lamest excuses ever. No mention of our Q1 record or overall strength of schedule.
Now I want a 1 more to see him have to react. I hate him.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006

Playing in Omaha has no bearing on our regional placement

• Winner
Reactions: huntt26

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Lunardi just said we won't be a 1 seed because 1) human nature - committee like had 1 seeds picked Thursday or Friday and 2) a strength of nonconference schedule in the 300s which a one seed has never, and will never have on their resume.

That first one is ********, but I think he's right.

I can understand the second point, but I think it should be a data point and not the deciding factor. We are very similar to NC.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Those are the lamest excuses ever. No mention of our Q1 record or overall strength of scschedule.
True. The noncon stuff is just window dressing for the fact that these folks will favor UNC because of tradition, bias, and sheer laziness. That's really why they won't give it to ISU.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
The amount of conflicting information on here is incredible. I don’t know how you can just say it’s based on distance.

For example, assuming Marquette and ISU are both twos, two things are true:

1). We are closest to Detroit of all the regional sites
2). Marquette is closer to Detroit than Iowa State

So Marquette gets Midwest because they happen to be closer to the site than Iowa State? That seems like a weird way to pick.

People saying the S Curve doesn’t matter but others saying it does.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
Lunardi just said we won't be a 1 seed because 1) human nature - committee likely had 1 seeds picked Thursday or Friday and 2) a strength of nonconference schedule in the 300s which a one seed has never, and will never have on their resume.

When you completely ignore all of ISUs positives, they shouldn't get a 1. Huh.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I agree, but the MVC is often a one bid league. I think those guys pretty much know they need to win their tournament to get in.
As of one week ago, I think Indiana State had reason for confidence. I still think they deserve to be in over a the rest of the bubble, but probably won't get in.

So scheduling is the #1 determining factor? Then why play the freaking games? If you are going to award the seeds as the primary factor then there really is no need to have these Conference Tournaments. It is all about non-conference schedule.
There isn't, and never has been any reason for conference tournaments other than money. There are a bunch of teams that are wishing today that there weren't. Including Indiana St., Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadeClone

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Now I want a 1 more to see him have to react. I hate him.
I think he is right on both accounts, I don't think we were in the conversation yesterday morning, the margin of victory is what is giving people pause, and our ncsos is something they will punish us for. Remember they did punish us on the original release. A lot of forecasters had us in the 2/3 range ahead of Baylor and had to drop us after the release.

I am trying to remember if he had us as a one seed at one point. I thought he did prior to kstate loss, but maybe I am misremembering. Awfully hypocritical of him if that's the case.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Deleted my last post because the picture was way too large, and wasn’t sure if I’d be able to edit soon.

Here are the resume comparisons for us, Marquette, and Tennessee.

Attachments

• 80DAF3D0-E529-45DE-8796-61DF2DBD7013.jpeg
    80DAF3D0-E529-45DE-8796-61DF2DBD7013.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: Cyclonepride

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
The amount of conflicting information on here is incredible. I don’t know how you can just say it’s based on distance.

For example, assuming Marquette and ISU are both twos, two things are true:

1). We are closest to Detroit of all the regional sites
2). Marquette is closer to Detroit than Iowa State

So Marquette gets Midwest because they happen to be closer to the site than Iowa State? That seems like a weird way to pick.

People saying the S Curve doesn’t matter but others saying it does.
So there is no s-curve in the sense of seeding 1-16 into brackets. But they seed 1-4 into regions. After that they will seed 5-8 based on geography, if there are no conflicts based on schedule/conference/venue the five seed goes to its closest geographic region. So if Detroit is open for ISU, UT, or Marquette they will take the 2 seed there. If it's not open it goes to the next closest. For ISU that's Dallas, but we cannot go to Dallas, so we go east to Boston.

I hope that helps

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
So there is no s-curve in the sense of seeding 1-16 into brackets. But they seed 1-4 into regions. After that they will seed 5-8 based on geography, if there are no conflicts based on schedule/conference/venue the five seed goes to its closest geographic region. So if Detroit is open for ISU, UT, or Marquette they will take the 2 seed there. If it's not open it goes to the next closest. For ISU that's Dallas, but we cannot go to Dallas, so we go east to Boston.

I hope that helps
Basically we need to be 4 or 5 on the S-Curve to avoid UConn. If were 6, 7, 8 were most likely going to Boston.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Deleted my last post because the picture was way too large, and wasn’t sure if I’d be able to edit soon.

Here are the resume comparisons for us, Marquette, and Tennessee.
I would say of the five that matter most (in no order) NET, KP, BPI, SOR, KP we are ahead in 4 of 5 and should be ahead of Tennessee, but if the committee feels it's close enough to dig deeper they will look at ncsos as well as others and that COULD **** us. I am not saying other things cant outweigh that but it would be a pretty big black eye