Bowl Game Projections

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm sorry...but this is a kick in the nuts...

Playing a non-P5 team...in a 'ehhh' market....in their home stadium.

Couldn't be less excited about this game.

Plus as OP stated, it's a hornet's nest game.

Beating Memphis? wow
Getting beat by Memphis? sucks
Memphis has both a chip on their shoulders from not being a P5 team & also dissed by the B12. I'm sure they all think they should be in the B12...probably in Iowa State's place.

Beating Memphis would be a nice season finish...but won't change my opinion on anything.

For the love of God...can't the NCAA figure out HTF to schedule bowls so they don't end up with a bunch of ****** home team bowl games? Or just kill the damn things and be done with it.

We went 7-5. Why do people feel like we're entitled to a great bowl game?

I guess I don't really care that we're playing in their stadium. Seems like more of a bummer for their players than our fans.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We went 7-5. Why do people feel like we're entitled to a great bowl game?

I guess I don't really care that we're playing in their stadium. Seems like more of a bummer for their players than our fans.

It is because our fans don't think we can win.

Something changed in October though. I started thinking we could win. Against TCU I thought we could win. Against West Virginia I thought we could win. And against Kansas State, I thought we could win (and we did win against Kansas State). We didn't always win, but I'm not sure why anyone thinks we can't.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It is because our fans don't think we can win.

Something changed in October though. I started thinking we could win. Against TCU I thought we could win. Against West Virginia I thought we could win. And against Kansas State, I thought we could win (and we did win against Kansas State). We didn't always win, but I'm not sure why anyone thinks we can't.

It is weird. I fully expect to beat Memphis.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It is weird. I fully expect to beat Memphis.

I do too. We might not win, but I think we will. And, like I said, something changed in October. As I was celebrating on the field after the TCU game, I commented that I actually thought we were going to win. It seemed odd to say. That doesn't mean I will pitch a fit when we lose games. It doesn't mean that I will go all idiot fan and act like any game we lose is a disaster (because that is a miserable way to be a fan and all teams lose). It certainly doesn't mean that we won't get screwed over by the officials and lose some games that we actually won.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
IMHO this scenario of Iowa State playing memphis in memphis is a lose-lose scenario.

We win this game.....Yay? I guess? we beat a mid major how exciting (obvious sarcasm)
We lose this game and we kill a HUGE amount of momentum this program had going. Memphis is really good team and Norvell is a great coach...I just don't see this ending well of us either way.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
IMHO this scenario of Iowa State playing memphis in memphis is a lose-lose scenario.

We win this game.....yay guess? we beat a mid major how exciting (obvious sarcasm)
We lose this game and we kill a HUGE amount of momentum this program had going. Memphis is really good team and Norvell is a great coach...I just don't see this ending well of us either way.
WE GET IT. You hate this game and aren't going. It isn't changing so just shut the **** up about it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

We win this game.....Yay? I guess? we beat a mid major how exciting (obvious sarcasm)

See people are smart enough to realize that Memphis is a good program, so people are smart enough to realize that a win would be great and a loss would be disappointing but not killing any momentum. For ****'s sake, I would think our fans are smarter than Iowa fans, but it seems not.

• Funny

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Gotta feel kind of bad for Western Michigan. 6-6 isn't great especially with the schedule they had but they took on USC and Michigan State so it's not like they were taking on cupcakes.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
See people are smart enough to realize that Memphis is a good program, so people are smart enough to realize that a win would be great and a loss would be disappointing but not killing any momentum. For ****'s sake, I would think our fans are smarter than Iowa fans, but it seems not.

Yup. Memphis has lost to one team all year.

If beating a team with just a loss to one team in it's own home stadium for a bowl game doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

LOL

FFS, people. Win or lose, this game doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things. Does anyone remember who won the Liberty Bowl last season?

Anyone that has been paying attention to college football this season knows Memphis is a good team. This is a matchup of two up and coming coaches. That will be the story.

Our momentum as a program is not going to be killed if we lose to a 10-2 team. 2017 will always be the season that Campbell's program took a big step forward and beat Oklahoma.

Drama queens.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Who do you think the team wants...a middle of the pack Power 5 team or a team that was a field goal away from playing on New Year's Day? Seems to me that the team has risen to the challenge every game and will look forward to the challenge here.

• Agree

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I worked for a little Jewish guy one time who asked if I ever got in fights in HS. I told him no, never been in more than a hand full of fights. He said he loved to fight guys my size (I'm 6'5" and 240 at the time). WTF would you want to do that? (He was 5'7" and maybe 170, but probably like 145 in HS).

"Because I couldn't lose!" "If I beat some big guy everyone thought I was a badass! If I lost everyone expected it and thought the guy your size was a bully and I got sympathy and credit for being a tough guy because I fought guy way bigger than me!"

That pretty much sums up this bowl match up for me.

Do I think we're better than Memphis? Yea.
Do I think we'll win? I don't know. A month of prep & mashup issues, not to mention the mentality of the teams (Are ISU kids excited about this game? Pumped to play? How about Memphis?...I know they're probably disappointed, but they'll still have a huge chip on their shoulders).

Does beating Memphis give us some huge bragging right? No. We'll have beaten a non-P5 team that has a win over a 6-6 UCLA team that fired their coach and Navy.

Would it mean a lot for Memphis to win? Yea, shows they're P5 level, over looked, and they beat a team OU & TCU couldn't.

And it'll be a home game for them as well.
itsatrap.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: JSmoove and GTO

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I worked for a little Jewish guy one time who asked if I ever got in fights in HS. I told him no, never been in more than a hand full of fights. He said he loved to fight guys my size (I'm 6'5" and 240 at the time). WTF would you want to do that? (He was 5'7" and maybe 170, but probably like 145 in HS).

"Because I couldn't lose!" "If I beat some big guy everyone thought I was a badass! If I lost everyone expected it and thought the guy your size was a bully and I got sympathy and credit for being a tough guy because I fought guy way bigger than me!"

Do I think we'll win? I don't know. A month of prep & mashup issues, not to mention the mentality of the teams (Are ISU kids excited about this game? Pumped to play? How about Memphis?...I know they're probably disappointed, but they'll still have a huge chip on their shoulders).

Does beating Memphis give us some huge bragging right? No. We'll have beaten a non-P5 team that has a win over a 6-6 UCLA team that fired their coach and Navy.

Would it mean a lot for Memphis to win? Yea, shows they're P5 level, over looked, and they beat a team OU & TCU couldn't.

itsatrap.jpg

Are the Iowa State kids excited? Are you kidding?

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

itsatrap.jpg

I don’t know, sounds kind of racist to me.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I didn't realize that the Camping World Bowl will be the THIRD bowl this season to be played on that field in that stadiium within a few weeks time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
LOL

FFS, people. Win or lose, this game doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things. Does anyone remember who won the Liberty Bowl last season?

Anyone that has been paying attention to college football this season knows Memphis is a good team. This is a matchup of two up and coming coaches. That will be the story.

Our momentum as a program is not going to be killed if we lose to a 10-2 team. 2017 will always be the season that Campbell's program took a big step forward and beat Oklahoma.

Drama queens.
This. When it comes down to it no one gives a **** about bowl games outside the playoffs. Even to ISU fans this will be a footnote after opening kick next year. Get over yourselves you bunch of crybabies.