Both Gach Transfer Target

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
All good. I probably could of been clearer. I think we're an ideal fit for Both and his brother.
Honestly didn't even know he had a brother but turns out he as a twin!? And he's a heck of a player as I'm seeing. Went a different route than Both however seems to be quite the prospect. Wonder if Prohm is considering taking both. (no pun intended)

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa

I like our chances based on the order....

OIP.EWb_4t0EZ0ButzlmpZ5b2gHaEK

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I like how we stack up against Minnesota in regards to this:

What his Gach looking for at his next basketball stop?

“A school or team that fits his playing style and a place he feels comfortable and happy,” his older brother Gach Gach told the Star Tribune. “Obviously, getting to the NBA is the goal, so a place that can help him develop into the player he wants to be is something I believe he’s looking for.”

Amir Coffey signing a two-way contract with the Los Angeles Clippers gave the Gophers their first player during the Pitino era to see game action in the NBA earlier this season. Sophomore Daniel Oturu earning All-America honors this year also gives him a chance to be the U’s first draft pick since Kris Humphries in 2004.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

“A school or team that fits his playing style and a place he feels comfortable and happy,” his older brother Gach Gach told the Star Tribune. “Obviously, getting to the NBA is the goal, so a place that can help him develop into the player he wants to be is something I believe he’s looking for.”

someone who tweets at recruits, please share this with Both
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.23.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.24.36 AM.png

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
The line between history, journalism, and politics can be fine, but I would consider this more of a historical question than a political one at this point.

Nobody really gets that passionate about foreign policy in the Eisenhower administration anymore, even if it was a pretty hot issue back in 1960.

I would argue there are at least two cold wars from a historical perspective, and I could make a case for three (and plus two more recent ones proceeding now).

Cold War Zero between 1917 and 1933. The stated policy of the United States and many of the other Western powers after the October Revolution was to simply not recognize Lenin and the Bolsheviks as the legitimate rulers of what used to be the Russian Empire and then the Russian Republic. This included supporting the White side in the Russian Civil War, diplomatic isolation and trade embargoes after Red victory, and attempts at subversion in Russia by Western intelligence agencies and support for various international and national communist and anti-colonial movements by Lenin and Stalin. Passions eventually cooled and everybody kind of gave up on the idea of Russia going back to the old ways by the 1930s, and FDR recognized the Soviet Union as a legitimate country in 1933.

There was a definite rapprochement between the West and the Soviet Union in the 1930s, despite the various horrors of Stalinism perpetuated at the time, culminating in renewed trade, Lend-Lease, the alliance against the Germans, and allowing the Soviet Union a veto on the U.N. Security Council at the San Francisco Conference.

The First Cold War is the "classic" period of the Cold War of Dr. Strangelove, North by Northwest, and Fail Safe fame. It runs from roughly 1945 through the early 1970s and climaxes with the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Space Race.

After competing with each other on virtually every economic, military, and political front almost gets everybody killed with the whole Cuba thing and the cost of all this starts to break Washington and Moscow's backs, both sides eventually cool off, start respecting each other's right to exist, and begin some collaborative projects related to scientific and engineering research and restart of trade. Historians usually call this era of a more peaceful relationship détente, and it runs through the U.S. presidential election of 1980.

Then we have the Second Cold War after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the Reagan defense buildup, and more aggressive measures by both sides to support allies throughout the world (e.g., American help for Afghan insurgents, Soviet and Cuban troops in Africa, etc.) before that ends because of the collapse of the Soviet Union and another period of general cooling. The Americans/the West really did win that one.

Then you know how it goes -- the end of history, Russian finally joining the West once and for all, maybe even eventually being invited into NATO.

Then that all kind of went away.

The historian in me wants to call our current relationship with Russia the Third Cold War. We have clearly restarted the geopolitical and ideological competition that marked the first two... or three, depending... of them in the last century. I would argue we are in one with mainland China just as much, and that really the main one right now.

So historically...

0 = tie
1 = tie
2 = clear American/Western victory
3 = ongoing
new 1 with China = ongoing

1-0-2 with two counts still with the jury
Hey! Iowa State is an ENGINEERING SCHOOL. Any history lesson better include mention of Anson Marston, Jacob Waggoner, Frank Paine, Atanassoff/Berry -- or really any of your favorite famous ISU engineers -- there are so many to choose from.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hey! Iowa State is an ENGINEERING SCHOOL. Any history lesson better include mention of Anson Marston, Jacob Waggoner, Frank Paine, Atanassoff/Berry -- or really any of your favorite famous ISU engineers -- there are so many to choose from.

I’m guessing that anything dealing with engineering in this recruit is totally irrelevant.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Most of my friends in college were in the marching band with me, and most of them were (1.) male and (2.) engineering majors. I do not know if there is something where music and mathematical/spatial reasoning are correlate with one another, or if it was just more the engineering buildings, Music Hall, and the band practice fields were all in the same quadrant of campus together (and it made it convenient).

As a liberal arts major in such company, I had to endure plenty of taunts of essentially this nature, "Stupid liberal arts major, better get used to asking if you'd like fries with that!" So I sympathy to the god's gift to women engineering majors is relatively limited. My career stayed pretty far away from fries and food service, too.

:)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Amir Coffey signing a two-way contract with the Los Angeles Clippers gave the Gophers their first player during the Pitino era to see game action in the NBA earlier this season. Sophomore Daniel Oturu earning All-America honors this year also gives him a chance to be the U’s first draft pick since Kris Humphries in 2004.
Kris Humphries? Wow.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
As I suspected, Mr. Gach's origins are in South Sudan, like those of another successful recent transfer.. Can Shayok not help bring this one home? His transfer achieved the objective of getting to the NBA.

Reactions: Psiclone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I do like him working with Morris. Minnesota’s competition might be tough.

I think his final 5 could have been a final 2.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
As I suspected, Mr. Gach's origins are in South Sudan, like those of another successful recent transfer.. Can Shayok not help bring this one home? His transfer achieved the objective of getting to the NBA.

Yes, come to Ames, Mr. Gach, where Dr. John Garang got his PhD. :)

I sometimes wondered what people in the north think of him. But I’ve met many Sudanese now in the United States, and found him pretty widely respected by people from both north and south — and the prior government (prior, now), not that popular. Many live in Iowa.

When Garang was installed as 1st Vice President, and he returned to Khartoum for the first time in over twenty years, I also recall reports of 2 million people on the streets to greet him. It is unfortunate that he died in a helicopter crash just one month later, at night, near his ranch. It was uncertain what happened for a day or two. When his death was reported in the New York Times, it was front page center, above the fold — with a big photo of two young South Sudanese guarding the opening to a building, where inside you could see Dr. Garang’s coffin draped with the South Sudanese flag — the most important news story of the day.

Of course this is a long time ago now, 2005, so not within the memory of many people today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psiclone

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I’m guessing that anything dealing with engineering in this recruit is totally irrelevant.

And that conclusion is based on what? Please post a link to where you obtained information re: this. In the absence of such information, people are left wondering if your statement is based on something else.

Thank you.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Most of my friends in college were in the marching band with me, and most of them were (1.) male and (2.) engineering majors. I do not know if there is something where music and mathematical/spatial reasoning are correlate with one another, or if it was just more the engineering buildings, Music Hall, and the band practice fields were all in the same quadrant of campus together (and it made it convenient).

As a liberal arts major in such company, I had to endure plenty of taunts of essentially this nature, "Stupid liberal arts major, better get used to asking if you'd like fries with that!" So I sympathy to the god's gift to women engineering majors is relatively limited. My career stayed pretty far away from fries and food service, too.

:)
Marching band engineering majors taunting marching band liberal arts majors? This kind of makes me feel like a tough guy as an accounting major.

Reactions: moores2