Bomb Threat at Durham Center

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Sounds like someone called in a bomb threat to the ISU police at the Durham Center plus in his room tonight. ISU alert system was very slow and most people found out about it on the Yik Yak app. Weird stuff

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
What time was it reported to the police? The alert went out about a half an hour ago...

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Rumors on the twitterverse/other social media say that the alert went out a solid half hour after it was originally reported

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Rumors on the twitterverse/other social media say that the alert went out a solid half hour after it was originally reported
The excuse is always "we don't want to create a mass panic if we don't have all the facts"

Heck, if there's even a chance that there's actually going to be a bomb go off anywhere on campus, I'd rather have it be a false alarm and 25 minutes earlier than 25 minutes later and confirmed after the bomb goes off.

Plus, they can't use that excuse at 1:00 a.m. There's not very many people up to freak out. The majority of people will wake up and see that on their phones in the morning.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Police Scanner is pulling out some funny quotes though.

Cop 1: "I'm on Morrill Road"
Cop 2: "That means nothing to me"

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Has a viable bomb ever been found after a bomb threat?

Serious question. I'd think if someone wanted to successfully bomb something, they'd do it with out warning. That and every bomb threat I've heard of, especially at an academic institution, has yielded no type of actual explosive device.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Serious question. I'd think if someone wanted to successfully bomb something, they'd do it with out warning. That and every bomb threat I've heard of, especially at an academic institution, has yielded no type of actual explosive device.

There have been a couple bomb threats made at my places of employment. Invariably, they were made by somebody who didn't want to work that day (these were usually in the form of written threats inside the port-a-can).

Although one time we found a Wizzinator on the search. Fun find.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

I've been around 2 bomb threats, one in high school and one in college. Both involved someone that was not prepared for a test/presentation that day. The one in college was a kid on the verge of failing out and did not prepare for his test and a bad grade would have sealed failing that class for that semester. Rumor was he called in bomb threat because he didn't want to have to tell his parents he got kicked out due to grades at end of semester but instead got kicked out due to bomb threat. Genius!

One in high school was a kid that did not have a presentation done and called in bomb threat right before that period. He called in the bomb threat from a public phone we had right next to the nurses office. Funny part was they had just put up a camera on it because there were kids prank calling from that phone the last month. He spent the rest of the year having in school suspension. This happened during his senior year when he wasn't on track to graduate anyways. Needless to say at graduation he got a certificate of attendance instead of a diploma.

But neither obviously ended up with a device and both were the "plan" of two idiots.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've been around 2 bomb threats, one in high school and one in college. Both involved someone that was not prepared for a test/presentation that day. The one in college was a kid on the verge of failing out and did not prepare for his test and a bad grade would have sealed failing that class for that semester. Rumor was he called in bomb threat because he didn't want to have to tell his parents he got kicked out due to grades at end of semester but instead got kicked out due to bomb threat. Genius!

One in high school was a kid that did not have a presentation done and called in bomb threat right before that period. He called in the bomb threat from a public phone we had right next to the nurses office. Funny part was they had just put up a camera on it because there were kids prank calling from that phone the last month. He spent the rest of the year having in school suspension. This happened during his senior year when he wasn't on track to graduate anyways. Needless to say at graduation he got a certificate of attendance instead of a diploma.

But neither obviously ended up with a device and both were the "plan" of two idiots.

Any bomb threat I've heard of was either this, or a group of dumb kids who wanted a day off school.

Where I was really going with it is that, yeah, police/fire/EMS have to take it seriously, but I don't think the Daily writer was even remotely risking his life by showing up on scene.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think they more don't want a Daily reporter there because they get on twitter and then make a huge thing out of nothing. Because the daily reporting is about as high quality as a tabloid.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The ISU alert system is a waste of money. By the time the alert is sent out The Daily and legitimate media have already told us all the details.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Ya but the media didn't give us solid warning about the guy who didn't report to the halfway house and was walking around with a wooden stick near campus. So good job ISU Alert system for saving me from stick boy

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I was at Durham at around 10pm and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Transient

Apr 17, 2008

ever heard of ted kaczinski (sp) the unibomber?​

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
ever heard of ted kaczinski (sp) the unibomber?​

He didn't make threats, did he? He just sent people bombs without telling them.

Which, you know, is the point I was making earlier. People use bombs to kill others. No one's disputing that. I'm saying that what they don't do is warn someone that this is going to happen in advance of actually doing it.