Bolton on why he left Penn State

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Saw this on Twitter just now.. Absolutely disgusting.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Hasn't Chambers been in trouble in the past for his sideline antics? Guy has done some good things at Penn State, but strikes me as a bit unhinged.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hasn't Chambers been in trouble in the past for his sideline antics? Guy has done some good things at Penn State, but strikes me as a bit unhinged.
He got suspended the year Bolton was there for placing his hands on a player I believe.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Yikes... It blows my mind that a college basketball coach could be like this and not get banished from the sport
Another Chris Doyle type. Blows my mind some of these coaches are "mentors" to young men who are predominately black, yet take zero interest in learning about their lives and the unique challenges they face as minorities, and instead have no problem saying extremely racially insensitive things like this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yikes... It blows my mind that a college basketball coach could be like this and not get banished from the sport

Many out there will come out with the 'yeah well coaches used to say this type of stuff all of the time back in my day' schtick, like it was OK ever.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm from the north and incredibly aware of the history between a noose and black people in the US. Penn State can't help but to hire themselves some real winners.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if this causes a domino effect and more former PSU players share their experiences as well.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

The mystery has been solved and fully explains why Penn State supported the waiver request. Rasir or any student athlete was right to leave and rightfully granted his request.
Chambers excuse that "he's from the north" isn't a valid one imo..,

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Another Chris Doyle type. Blows my mind some of these coaches are "mentors" to young men who are predominately black, yet take zero interest in learning about their lives and the unique challenges they face as minorities, and instead have no problem saying extremely racially insensitive things like this.

This is something I've thought about recently and really appreciate about Prohm and Campbell. There seems to be a notion that coaches can give "tough love". Since it falls under the ambit of "coaching", it's acceptable to act in ways that would not be acceptable in an other adult setting. If you tried doing that to your employees, you'd be fired. But because it's "coaching", and hell we are trying to teach these kids some life lessons!

Maybe a good place to start in teaching life lessons is how to effectively communicate with other adults without losing your mind.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is something I've thought about recently and really appreciate about Prohm and Campbell. There seems to be a notion that coaches can give "tough love". Since it falls under the ambit of "coaching", it's acceptable to act in ways that would not be acceptable in an other adult setting. If you tried doing that to your employees, you'd be fired. But because it's "coaching", and hell we are trying to teach these kids some life lessons!

Maybe a good place to start in teaching life lessons is how to effectively communicate with other adults without losing your mind.
You can be tough and teach life lessons while not being a completely unhinged and racist POS.

Kudos to Rasir for sharing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You can be tough and teach life lessons while not being a completely unhinged and racist POS.

Kudos to Rasir for sharing.

You can, but even the non-racist ones I find obnoxious.

Take a guy like Fran for example. The guy is a complete man-baby on the sideline, and it's just him being "firey". That's ridiculous. That's a man with a serious anger problem that would preclude him from being employed in any other profession, but since it's sports it's fine and we give him a few million bucks a year.

I guess I just hate the notion that because it's a sport you can berate and belittle these young people.

Reactions: jmeeksISU and Doc

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Chambers is an easy guy to not like, that explains why his waiver process was so quiet. IT sucks that he had to roll with the punches until he could safely get away and be granted eligibility. Much respect for speaking up, it's never easy and there will always be people who doubt him. Prohm has gotten a lot of flack the last year, some deserving but I'm really glad he's our coach during this transformational time in our country.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can't get past this part - it's the part where 'systemic' comes into play - where he was sent to a psychologist to be taught "how to deal with the Coach's personality type"

that is so insidious and harmful

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Take a guy like Fran for example. The guy is a complete man-baby on the sideline, and it's just him being "firey". That's ridiculous. That's a man with a serious anger problem that would preclude him from being employed in any other profession, but since it's sports it's fine and we give him a few million bucks a year.

I guess I just hate the notion that because it's a sport you can berate and belittle these young people.
Totally agree.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah if it's a problem spread out to everyone it's going to only be maximized when working with someone who may have plenty of other things going on.

I think back to the ways coaches behaved from little league T-ball to high school anything and I can say the most effective and enjoyable experience I had was with coaches that rarely yelled and certainly didn't do it in a belittling way. And these are coaches that to the day I still feel like I have a good relationship with.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The mystery has been solved and fully explains why Penn State supported the waiver request. Rasir or any student athlete was right to leave and rightfully granted his request.
Chambers excuse that "he's from the north" isn't a valid one imo..,

According to Rasir, Chambers didn't apologize. It's one (stupid) thing to pretend like you don't know about what a noose represents. It's a whole other thing not to apologize.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think we all knew that Occam's Razor says the most likely explanation for the transfer and the waiver was, "Coach Chambers was/is a huge *******."

This confirms it.

How rotten is Penn State this guy still even has a job after that?

Help Support Us

Become a patron