Blue Blood Notre Dame

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I went to the ND boards and they seem pretty upset they have to play us. I know we aren't what they hoped for, but I would hope they would take the time to watch some of our reruns vs teams like Oklahoma,Baylor and Texas. I think we have the ability and coaching to beat this team. any thoughts ?

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and isu83

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
They don't want to play our brand. It's not that they don't think we are a quality opponent. Just like when we played Memphis. We knew they were good but would rather have played a power 5 school with a name. Like Notre Dame.
I think we have come a long way these past few years. College Game Day really liked being in Ames and loved our loyal fans. we have played some pretty good teams and beat them, I was hoping for a little more respect.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I went to the ND boards and they seem pretty upset they have to play us. I know we aren't what they hoped for, but I would hope they would take the time to watch some of our reruns vs teams like Oklahoma,Baylor and Texas. I think we have the ability and coaching to beat this team. any thoughts ?

I think they'll really be upset after the Cyclones hand them their ass. This matchup is starting to look an awful lot like only one team really wants to play the game and the other would rather stay home. Dangerous spot for Notre Dame.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think we have come a long way these past few years. College Game Day really liked being in Ames and loved our loyal fans. we have played some pretty good teams and beat them, I was hoping for a little more respect.
It's going to take a few more years of continued success to have the fan bases of blue blood programs start giving ISU props. The coaches and media members are catching on, but fans are irrational and usually take alot longer

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think they'll really be upset after the Cyclones hand them their ass. This matchup is starting to look an awful lot like only one team really wants to play the game and the other would rather stay home. Dangerous spot for Notre Dame.
tbf, we have not heard any ND players or coaches echo this, have we? It's all just the fans.

We said last year that we thought WSU would sleep walk into this game because they felt slighted. There is 2 ways a team can handle that feeling, either you say "screw everyone, we'll show them how good we really are" or "screw this, we deserve better". I don't think Brian Kelly is going to be taking these bowl preps lightly, personally.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I really hope ND chooses to sleep walk through this game. Would love nothing more than to **** slap them on national tv.
I train one of their players in the off season, I’m going to ask him what the attitude is like in the locker room and practices.

PS: join a conference.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I read through some of their boards. Most of them actually seem knowledgeable about us. I read alot of comments where people said we have alot of talent and that we are a better team than the record indicates.

I dont blame them though, regardless of who they are playing, if they are a blue blood at 10-2 of course they are going to be disappointed playing a 7-5 team in a non-NY6 game.

There is no doubt which team and fanbase will have the motivational advantage in this one.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

I believe their last 4 bowl opponents were Clemson, Ohio St., and LSU twice. So if we're fair you can see their issue. I'm fine with them not understanding what a tough game this is going to be...

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I see a lot of them are upset that this is their bowl game sitting at 10-2, I can't really blame them for that, but when you take a look at college football it makes sense:

1. College football is extremely top heavy this year (Bama didn't even make a NY6 at 10-2).
2. They are independent, how can they expect to have good bowl tie ins? (join a conference already).
3. They didn't really beat anybody that great, 3 fringe top 25 teams (Navy, USC, Virginia).

There's a lot of whining from them but it makes sense that this game is happening. Also, they really are only about 10 spots in front of Iowa State in most of the computer rankings I believe.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Almost any team would feel slighted if they finished 10-2, with both losses coming to top 15 teams at the time. The thing that hurt ND this year was, their schedule,the usual suspects like USC and Stanford were nothing special and nearly half their schedule was against a watered down ACC. They only really had one chance to impress and they made Michigan look like LSU.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I believe their last 4 bowl opponents were Clemson, Ohio St., and LSU twice. So if we're fair you can see their issue. I'm fine with them not understanding what a tough game this is going to be...

But you also have them playing 6-6 Rutgers in the Pinstripe in 2013. Bet their fans didn't dig that much. They are #15 this year, not some playoff team.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hopefully we won't play like some watered down version of ourselves in this bowl game. Gonna have people paying attention as this is a good TV matchup for us. I don't think we have played a really good game in a bowl since 2000 as far as playing to our capabilities. Huge opportunity to take a step forward nationally after missing that chance to impress in the regular season.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I read through some of their boards. Most of them actually seem knowledgeable about us. I read alot of comments where people said we have alot of talent and that we are a better team than the record indicates.

I dont blame them though, regardless of who they are playing, if they are a blue blood at 10-2 of course they are going to be disappointed playing a 7-5 team in a non-NY6 game.

There is no doubt which team and fanbase will have the motivational advantage in this one.
what are the best sites for their forums? SIAP

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

From Notre Dame fans??

Nope Nope Nope