Big10 AD's Transfer Proposal

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Saw where Big10 AD's are proposing transfers be eligible immediately.

IMO the NCAA has created this situation by their arbitrary handling of transfer requests. But I don't think the Big10 AD's proposal is a good idea and basically creates unrestricted "free agency". I also feel it values the kid for their athletic ability ONLY.

With so many behind the scene hangers on (family, handlers, etc.), it creates a situation where elite programs will be able to recruit other college players. I think it would only be natural to see the NBA mentality of super teams happen in college sports. It also make conferences like the MVC, MAC, A10 the minor leagues for P5 conferences.

I am for loosening the rules, but I think there needs to be an academic element. I would propose:
  1. Give student athletes 5 years of playing time. Eliminate redshirts.
  2. I would require all transfers within the first 2 years of entering college to still have to sit a year.
  3. After the first 2 years a player can transfer and be eligible to play immediately. But I would include an academic progress component as well. Academic progress would be credit and GPA based on years in school. If a kid doesn't meet academic progress requirements they have to sit.
This would apply to all sports- Olympic and Revenue. No exceptions for family situations.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Definitely needs tweaked but immediate eligibility probably isnt the best answer.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wonder if consistency is officially long gone for college basketball.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Yea that's ridiculous. Can you imagine a starting QB switching rosters the week of a rivalry game? Sounds far fetched but it would absolutely happen somewhere.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yea that's ridiculous. Can you imagine a starting QB switching rosters the week of a rivalry game? Sounds far fetched but it would absolutely happen somewhere.

I assume the new rules would require that you wouldn’t be eligible until you’re enrolled in classes, so I’m not sure you could have a player flip mid-football season. But you could mid-basketball season.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I assume the new rules would require that you wouldn’t be eligible until you’re enrolled in classes, so I’m not sure you could have a player flip mid-football season. But you could mid-basketball season.

If that's the only thing stopping them... you think those SEC programs are going to let that hold them back?

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Don't all the non basketball/football sports already allow this? I think the old school can still restrict schools so it maybe isn't totally open though.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Don't all the non basketball/football sports already allow this? I think the old school can still restrict schools so it maybe isn't totally open though.
Yep, men's and women's basketball, baseball, hockey and football are the only sports that don't already allow this. So the NCAA is ripe for another lawsuit in this area.

Better to get out in front of it than risk having your hand forced. A judge might rule that limiting transferring at all is illegal.

Just another example of how big time college sports are changing

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron