Big 12 STATS through 3 Weeks

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
Some really fun stats in there! I am definitely surprised by the sacks by stat for sure. I doesn't feel like we are getting much pressure though still. 6 sacks yesterday definitely helps that stat out. Let's see what kind of pressure we can get against these Big 12 offenses. Texas has given up the most sacks, so getting pressure will be a big key to success.

Being last in opponents 3rd down conversion is definitely alarming. If we don't at least get to 6th or 7th as we move forward, we are going to lose these close games again this year. I have confidence that we will, though.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Some really fun stats in there! I am definitely surprised by the sacks by stat for sure. I doesn't feel like we are getting much pressure though still. 6 sacks yesterday definitely helps that stat out. Let's see what kind of pressure we can get against these Big 12 offenses. Texas has given up the most sacks, so getting pressure will be a big key to success.

Being last in opponents 3rd down conversion is definitely alarming. If we don't at least get to 6th or 7th as we move forward, we are going to lose these close games again this year. I have confidence that we will, though.

Yep, some good stats in there for us, but last in stopping teams on 3rd down is a killer for us. We MUST get off the field on 3rd downs. Whatever it takes.

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
Yep, some good stats in there for us, but last in stopping teams on 3rd down is a killer for us. We MUST get off the field on 3rd downs. Whatever it takes.

What is especially killer is the 3rd and longs we seem to give up so consistently. I think Kamari coming back will help, but it's not like we were all-stars with him in there. I don't know how many long 3rd downs we've given up, but I would like to see that stat, if possible.

I think as our linebackers get more comfortable, our secondary will get better, but it's a struggle right now.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Yep, if we don't clean this up it will be a long conference season sans BU and KU.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I guess Jacob Park is a worthy Big XII QB. Hope that newspaper guy is paying attention.

Nice to be #2 in rush defense.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Our pass defense has been getting shredded, but we are missing our top DB and we are leading the conference with 5 interceptions, including 2 for touchdowns. It's possible our coaches are trying to be extra aggressive. I've seen enough blown assignments, but that can be a side effect of aggressiveness. Rhoads' DB's rarely got interceptions, but we liked to sit back on routes to make teams drive the length of the field.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
No lost fumbles through 3 games is also a really nice stat to see. I agree 3rd down D needs to be better, but we also should be converting better than 40%, especially with our WR's. I'd be interested to know how many 3rd downs were not converted due to dropped balls.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Quick observations … some of these already noted in thread.

POSITIVES
Offense
  • Montgomery second in YPG in both rushing and all-purpose (downside: only 8th as a team)
  • Butler being 10th in RYPG is cool; Lazard is 3rd in receptions per game, and will get his yards eventually. Good to have at least one additional threat.
  • Sacks against: 1st
  • Scoring offense: Almost in upper-half of league!
  • Penalties: 3rd
  • Red zone offense: 3rd
Defense
  1. Rushing defense: 2nd -- and that’s vs. 3 teams that a run-first
  2. Sacks: Tied for 1st
  3. Turnover margin
  4. Interceptions: 1st
  5. Fumbles forced: Spears #1
LESS-ENCOURAGING
  • Red-zone defense (last — 11-for-11. Eek)
  • Pass defense (a few B12 teams could shred us badly here)
  • Team rushing
  • Opp 3rd-down conversion
  • Pass efficiency (not horrible, but could be better)

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I find these are pretty fluid and rather meaningless stats for now. How many teams played national legitimate top 10 defenses? Maybe 3 teams.

How many played rivalry games (which can produce pretty wild stats in either direction), probably just ISU.

Not all cupcake teams are created equal either.

I like where we sit however after 3 games relative to the last 4 years of ISU football. On paper we look like a ball-hawking defense, but if you watch the games you wince a lot at DB's getting beat over the top. I wonder how much of this is true with other teams.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
Trying to think of the different Power 5 teams that our conference brethren have played.

Texas - USC, Maryland
Oklahoma - Ohio State
Ok State - Pittsburgh
Us - Iowa
KState - Vanderbilt
Kansas - ???
TCU - ???
Baylor- Dumpster fire
WVA - ????
Texas Tech - ???

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We have 3 of the top 10 tacklers, 4 of the top 15. That's with Kamari out.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
3rd and long needs to be the killshot for our defense, not a liability. Are our blitz packages too predictable in those situations? Need to mix it up somehow, Heacock.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
3rd and long needs to be the killshot for our defense, not a liability. Are our blitz packages too predictable in those situations? Need to mix it up somehow, Heacock.

The problem is we haven't blitzed much on 3rd down. We sat back and played coverage.