Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
If this speculation has merit, it would be interesting to see if BYU could potentially join the conference sooner since they are not tied to a GOR. If we try to add 3 teams from the AAC, things could get weird with ESPN, since they own their TV rights. For that reason, I would almost prefer a team out west (Boise or CSU) over Houston to move with BYU and get to an even 10 in the short term.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
If this speculation has merit, it would be interesting to see if BYU could potentially join the conference sooner since they are not tied to a GOR. If we try to add 3 teams from the AAC, things could get weird with ESPN, since they own their TV rights. For that reason, I would almost prefer a team out west (Boise or CSU) over Houston to move with BYU and get to an even 10 in the short term.

I like CSU over UCF for many, many reasons. This is one I hadn’t really thought of as far as timing.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Everybody should subscribe to CW Patreon but you are alluding to what he shared tonight: the common thread between moving OU/UT to the SEC (ESPN league), and UCF/Houston/Cincy out of the American (ESPN league), and BYU (ESPN contract) into the Big 12 all at the same time would be lots of ESPN $$$ flowing to the right entities so that all of this can happen at the same time in 2022 or 2023.

• Agree
Reactions: BCoffClone125

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Everybody should subscribe to CW Patreon but you are alluding to what he shared tonight: the common thread between moving OU/UT to the SEC (ESPN league), and UCF/Houston/Cincy out of the American (ESPN league), and BYU (ESPN contract) into the Big 12 all at the same time would be lots of ESPN $$$ flowing to the right entities so that all of this can happen at the same time in 2022 or 2023.

I am signed up on the Patreon, but I don't believe CW mentioned anything about BYU's TV contract. I didn't realize they had something with ESPN.

It would kind of sicken me to get back into bed with ESPN after all of this, but if they can give us a favorable deal that keeps up with at least the ACC and PAC, in exchange for a quicker UT/OU exit, I would take that in a heartbeat.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Of course not. There were 5 power conferences, currently there are 4.

If you disagree with that statement, please explain what part and why.

Dude, your definition of a power conference is out in la-la land. A REASONABLE definition would be:

1. Consistently having multiple teams in the top 25.

2 Consistently having teams in the top 10, especially if they finish there.

KSU, TCU, OSU, TT, WV, BAY, ISU and even KU have all finished in the top 10...with several of them multiple times. If you took out Swinney's recent run at Clemson, that conference would suck as bad as the Big East did years ago. Even with Clemson, the ACC has been far weaker than a reconstituted Big 12. (but kudos to UNC!)

As for one of the teams leaving that supposedly makes us a non-power conference, (Texas) TCU since joining has won 7 of 9 meetings against them. As a matter of fact, since UT lost the BCS championship in 2009, they're a whopping THREE games over .500 in conference play over those past 11 seasons. THREE. That's with three different coaches. (including 4 seasons under Mack Brown) So in reality, that leaves OU. Sorry, one school does not make a power conference.

Sans KU, the bottom of the Big 12 is stronger than any of the supposed P4 schools. There are some absolute garbage programs in the B1G and PAC. Your argument that the Big 12 won't be a power conference is nonsense.

The problem with your line if thinking is that you've allowed yourself to fall prey to national media groupthink where if you're in flyover country where there aren't a lot of eyeballs, the level of football outside the "blue bloods" is far inferior. It is nonsense. The people on this board have developed a real disdain for those with such a mindset, which is why they're letting your have it. We just haven't made up our minds as to whether you don't know any better or are trolling.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I think they have it right with those teams.

If we go two:
BYU
Cincy

If we go 4 then add:
UCF
Houston

I still have no idea how adding these 4 teams doesn't completely tank our funds coming in, but who knows.
we are essentially cutting our TV revenue in ~half with Tex/OU leaving, then adding two more teams to split that pot also? maybe we will have to start selling pot and beer at games...lol

and if we add these teams this soon, then that tells me there is probably no B1G or Pac invite coming anytime soon. hope they don't sign some 15 year deal or something..

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

slag-vomit.gif

May 7, 2020
Dude, your definition of a power conference is out in la-la land. A REASONABLE definition would be:

1. Consistently having multiple teams in the top 25.

2 Consistently having teams in the top 10, especially if they finish there.

KSU, TCU, OSU, TT, WV, BAY, ISU and even KU have all finished in the top 10...with several of them multiple times. If you took out Swinney's recent run at Clemson, that conference would suck as bad as the Big East did years ago. Even with Clemson, the ACC has been far weaker than a reconstituted Big 12. (but kudos to UNC!)

As for one of the teams leaving that supposedly makes us a non-power conference, (Texas) TCU since joining has won 7 of 9 meetings against them. As a matter of fact, since UT lost the BCS championship in 2009, they're a whopping THREE games over .500 in conference play over those past 11 seasons. THREE. That's with three different coaches. (including 4 seasons under Mack Brown) So in reality, that leaves OU. Sorry, one school does not make a power conference.

Sans KU, the bottom of the Big 12 is stronger than any of the supposed P4 schools. There are some absolute garbage programs in the B1G and PAC. Your argument that the Big 12 won't be a power conference is nonsense.

The problem with your line if thinking is that you've allowed yourself to fall prey to national media groupthink where if you're in flyover country where there aren't a lot of eyeballs, the level of football outside the "blue bloods" is far inferior. It is nonsense. The people on this board have developed a real disdain for those with such a mindset, which is why they're letting your have it. We just haven't made up our minds as to whether you don't know any better or are trolling.
I agree with what you are saying. My only fear is, how much money will this new conference generate for us? OK/TX leaving probably means we have to take less. I just hope it’s not too much less.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If this is all negotiation tactics (which is what I have 100% believed all along) it's getting quite convincing...

I mean, what if they DO add teams in the next month?? What does that imply? I think it suggests the Alliance said "no way no how" to adding any Big12 teams, but might have been supportive of the Big12s continuing existence (ie they won't vote them out of the P5 club).

• Winner
Reactions: Tornado man

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Recruiting rankings, no.
NFL draft picks, no.
CFP appearances, sure.
National Championships, sure.
Then something like Massey or FPI to gauge the depth of the league as opposed to just looking at the top of it.

I'd go strictly with an equation balancing inputs from FPI and the two major ranking services. Keep it simple. Who gives a fart about NFL draft picks...that would be an idiotic and irrelevant criteria. How you play against cross conference competition...that's the only valid measure.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
If this is all negotiation tactics (which is what I have 100% believed all along) it's getting quite convincing...

I mean, what if they DO add teams in the next month?? What does that imply? I think it suggests the Alliance said "no way no how" to adding any Big12 teams, but might have been supportive of the Big12s continuing existence (ie they won't vote them out of the P5 club).

Oh, they will add teams. They have to. What I expect you will not see is a new GOR...that will come later and some teams will not be a part of that who are currently in the Big 12.

I think you are correct about the "Alliance" and how it views whatever remains the Big 12. I believe the idea...from 6000 feet...is to gather the very best of G5 and pair it with the remaining Big 12 schools...and I think that number will include 5-6 of the current Big 12 teams. This pairing will create a viable Big 12 that reliably votes with the "Alliance" on issues and which...in effect...brings the best of the G5/BorderliineP5 schools in the country together and gives them a guaranteed slot in the playoffs. The idea all along with an expanded playoff was that it would allow the top 1...and maybe even 2...schools at the G5 level a shot in the playoffs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron