Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
What this really says, we legally have OU/Texas and ESPN by the balls, we know it and they know it. This was not part of ESPNs plan and they are absolutely shocked we remaining 8 have stayed together this long and we are going to continue to stick together until at least 2025 so we get every penny that is coming to us.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think that having multiple teams credibly capable of being included in a 12 team playoff will be important if that's the direction the sport decides to go. You don't want to be a one bid league if every bid is worth $40 million to the conferences.

Imagine ISU gets one slot in this hypothetical playoff and the SEC gets four. ISU's cut from the Big 12, assuming 10 teams, is $4 million. Vanderbilt's would be $10 million for sucking hind tit and being the conference whipping boy. And let's face it, Big 12 teams will need that playoff money because our TV deal will be static at best. The 12 team playoff is why OU and UT will leave even though they risk their big dog status.

If it is an 8 team playoff, ISU might get $3-3.5M for their cut, but if conferences get a max of 2 teams in it, a 16 team SEC might only receive $3.75-4.3M after the split. Much more equitable, but it removes much of the advantages of consolidating the top brands into one super conference built to suck up all the tv dollars out there.

I agree which is another reason why adding good football programs matters. BYU, UCF, Cincinnati have all been ranked in the top 10 within the last five years. Houston has too but they have fallen off a bit - if they are willing to make an investment that's better than "We can steal the WVU coach they were pushing out anyway," maybe they make sense too.

I think that Big 12 has a decent shot at getting an at-large bid along with a conference champion bid in a 12-team playoff many years. Maybe not most years, but more often than rarely.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

Could it be possible that OU and UT leaving is at least partially a blessing in disguise? Perhaps the conference gets rebuilt on a much more equal basis giving ISU an opportunity to grow even further in the major sports? There is going to be a major hit financially but from a competitive standpoint, this could be an opportunity for ISU to break through? Slightly encouraged by JP here.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Could it be possible that OU and UT leaving is at least partially a blessing in disguise? Perhaps the conference gets rebuilt on a much more equal basis giving ISU an opportunity to grow even further in the major sports? There is going to be a major hit financially but from a competitive standpoint, this could be an opportunity for ISU to break through? Slightly encouraged by JP here.

Sure, why not. Anything anyone involved with realignment says or does is just a blank screen upon which everyone projects their hopes and dreams. So shoot your shot.

Reactions: cyfanatic

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is that the slappies who do a show and not get paid? You gotta be bad to not get paid, I did one part time and got 40 bucks/show and it was a brand new small town station.
You know he gets off on the hate which is weird. But he’s a hawk fan from what I understand so that kinda fits the mold. Couldn’t pay me to listen to that.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
For those that don't remember the old Big East, the actions of Big 12 and process of dissolving may look extremely similar. Lose members, add additional members through the current contract and then other options will come to the members in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: AppleCornCy

CyclonimusPrime

Aug 18, 2021
Ames
Is that the slappies who do a show and not get paid? You gotta be bad to not get paid, I did one part time and got 40 bucks/show and it was a brand new small town station.

Is trent the one that has the annoying pitch to his voice that just makes you want to turn off your radio? You know what I mean? Like that feeling you get when you hear a recording of yourself talk and you are like: “gross, I sound like that?” Is that him?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is trent the one that has the annoying pitch to his voice that just makes you want to turn off your radio? You know what I mean? Like that feeling you get when you hear a recording of yourself talk and you are like: “gross, I sound like that?” Is that him?
No idea. Never heard him and honestly don’t know what station he is on or what time.

Reactions: CyclonimusPrime

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019
Who is shocked these two agree?
Nothing wrong with being optimistic. No one is trying to stop you. I have an opinion, it’s not popular because it’s not optimistic. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

I think others agree as well. They just don’t want to admit it, or don’t want to post it. But I bet if it really came down to it…like if you were forced to wager your life savings and retirement on the outcome…I’m confident where most would put their chips.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What this really says, we legally have OU/Texas and ESPN by the balls, we know it and they know it. This was not part of ESPNs plan and they are absolutely shocked we remaining 8 have stayed together this long and we are going to continue to stick together until at least 2025 so we get every penny that is coming to us.

What this really says is "***** better have my money"