Big-12 / Pac-12 possible merger

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Names for the new Pac12/Big12 conference.

Continental Divide Conference (CDC). Lots of post pandemic marketing potential.

or.

Left of THE Mississippi Conference

Reactions: agentbear

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The B1G started out as this.

Personally, I do like Pac 20.
What'd I miss? I only read page 1.

Pac 16, 18, 20 seems right. If Pac stays in tact especially, and picks up some or all of Big 12 orphans. They deserve to keep their base name.

Will it happen who knows. I think it would inject a lot of new excitement and relevance into the PAC. Not sure if they would want it. Not sure if anything better for us or them either. Doesn't hurt to talk about.

Reactions: agentbear

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I'd be alright with this but bummed if KU goes B1G and we don't.
You’d hope we’d be within these talks as well since we were the team KU was rumored to be connected with.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Harry Palms. All WAC-Offense. Split End.
E9Hovg.gif

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this merger or schedule alliance with the Pac-12 is way far off, if at all. The Pac-12 will follow or do whatever the Big 10 tells them to do. Like we with the AAC schools, there is no rush for the Pac-12 or Big 10 to add. The Big 12 schools will still be there. Both conferences are going to wait and see how they can work out their own football merger or scheduling agreement together. Plus, Kevin Warren doesn't appear to me to be the type to move fast.

This meeting today is nothing more than posturing for use in negotiations with Fox and ESPN.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26 and Win5002

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I mean, isn't a little comical to keep "Pacific" in the conference name for a something that contain schools in... Iowa and Kansas?

There is a Southeastern Conference school in Missouri and Atlantic Coast Conference schools in Indiana and Kentucky. And a Big East school in Nebraska for good measure. Don’t forget the Atlantic-10 school in Missouri too.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
There is a Southeastern Conference school in Missouri and Atlantic Coast Conference schools in Indiana and Kentucky. And a Big East school in Nebraska for good measure. Don’t forget the Atlantic-10 school in Missouri too.
Does anyone remember this, too?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Scheduling agreement with SEC would be better.
Not a chance in hell that happens until college football stabilizes. Not until the BIG, the PAC, the ACC and Big 12 know what they're doing or are going to do, and all the current power teams (or more) are taken care of and have relative equity in media contracts. Not likely happening any too soon.

No reason to accept any bones thrown our way or to help sec/espn in any way until that happens. Otherwise just a short term gain over a long term death. Band together and lock 'em out. The sec can't play the schedule they want unless outside teams cooperate. Don't cooperate.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Not a chance in hell that happens until college football stabilizes. Not until the BIG, the PAC, the ACC and Big 12 know what they're doing or are going to do, and all the current power teams (or more) are taken care of and have relative equity in media contracts. Not likely happening any too soon.

No reason to accept any bones thrown our way or to help sec/espn in any way until that happens. Otherwise just a short term gain over a long term death. Band together and lock 'em out. The sec can't play the schedule they want unless outside teams cooperate. Don't cooperate.
We could offer an earlier exit to SEC as an incentive.

• Dumb
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Sure. All options will be on the table. I only offer my largely uneducated opinion on how I feel about sec/espn right now. Don't feel like helping them one bit, unless it truly helps us in the long run.

All of it will get ironed out in time. Just hope we and other teams used to power conferences get more than just a few scraps from sec (BIG, PAC, ACC for that matter too).

• Winner
Reactions: HawaiiClone

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Sure. All options will be on the table. I only offer my largely uneducated opinion on how I feel about sec/espn right now. Don't feel like helping them one bit, unless it truly helps us in the long run.

All of it will get ironed out in time. Just hope we and other teams used to power conferences get more than just a few scraps from sec (BIG, PAC, ACC for that matter too).
Yeah, we definitely don't want to help the SEC unless it gives us a good standing as a power conference.