Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

Hoggins

Sep 2, 2019
Houston released their Big 12 contract

https://gocoogs.com/big-12-contract...tIzF8CnwIgQo3qtQYuXDuc3NMxbdhWXQ782vC4IYBzdAs

Biggest news that I take from this is that there will be a new grant of rights. Not terribly surprising as a new GOR increases the value of the contract to TV partners. Every hateful 8 member agreed to a new GOR in 2019 while OU & UT declined too

Basically, expansion is going to be done for awhile unless the Power 5 adds from the G5.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

https://gocoogs.com/big-12-contract...tIzF8CnwIgQo3qtQYuXDuc3NMxbdhWXQ782vC4IYBzdAs

Biggest news that I take from this is that there will be a new grant of rights. Not terribly surprising as a new GOR increases the value of the contract to TV partners. Every hateful 8 member agreed to a new GOR in 2019 while OU & UT declined too

Basically, expansion is going to be done for awhile unless the Power 5 adds from the G5.
I don't have time to read through sadly, which part makes it sound the odds of us getting poached from again are unlikely

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

This is the only semi-interesting pieces.

"– Houston will join on July 1, 2024, or an earlier date agreed upon by UH and the conference. The school will be bound to a “grant of rights” (for broadcast, bowl, and NCAA revenues) beginning that day.

– UH deposited $2,500,000 with the conference upon execution of the agreement. The conference put it in a money market account, and UH will recover its earnings upon entering the league.

– Beginning on July 1, 2025, Houston will participate fully in conference revenue distribution. This is where the contract is redacted:

The day that full revenue distribution begins for UH is the same as the current grant of rights (GOR) for the Big 12 ends.

This means UH (and likely Cincinnati, UCF, and BYU) will not receive a full distribution for at least the first year. In all likelihood, Houston will not receive any conference revenue until the current GOR ends even if UH enters the league next summer. Texas and Oklahoma are bound to the Big 12’s grant of rights (GOR) through 7/1/2025, and unless an early separation agreement is signed, they will be due their full shares.

Because the conference is negotiating with UT and OU, it appears the State agreed that sharing revenue distribution information before 7/1/2025 “would cause substantial competitive harm.” If the two schools leave early, the remaining Big 12 schools will share their exit fees (the remaining amount owed in the GOR). The four new schools will have no claim to that.

– The agreement insists that UH “made the initial contact with the Big 12 about becoming a Member of the Conference and that the Conference did not contact UH about becoming a member.” This clause is directly due to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby sending ESPN a cease and desist letter, accusing the network and other conferences of meddling in Big 12 affairs. Bowlsby did not want the American Athletic Conference to have a similar claim about the Big 12."

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Who's the "hateful 8"?

We need better branding than that.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
In an effort to get to know our new brethren, can someone explain to me this *Cough, cough* hand signal UH uses? I was unaware that they had one and I discovered they did when going on their site. It seems to be slightly.... inappropriate.

rawImage.jpg

rawImage.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
In an effort to get to know our new brethren, can someone explain to me this *Cough, cough* hand signal UH uses? I was unaware that they had one and I discovered they did when going on their site. It seems to be slightly.... inappropriate.

rawImage.jpg

rawImage.jpg

Texas (the state) is just dumb as hell in general. Hand signs are just one of many ways to confirm that you are as dumb as everyone else.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011

rawImage.jpg

rawImage.jpg
Is she asking for a 3 way? Asking for a friend.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
The Cougar Hand Sign
The hand sign is made by folding the ring finger of the right hand toward the palm of the hand. Its origins date back to 1953 when Shasta I* lost a toe in a cage door. University of Texas fans mocked the cougar's injury by making the hand sign and UH quickly adopted it as a symbol of pride.

*The first live cougar mascot arrived at UH in 1947 and was named Shasta.

Source

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Cougar Hand Sign
The hand sign is made by folding the ring finger of the right hand toward the palm of the hand. Its origins date back to 1953 when Shasta I* lost a toe in a cage door. University of Texas fans mocked the cougar's injury by making the hand sign and UH quickly adopted it as a symbol of pride.

*The first live cougar mascot arrived at UH in 1947 and was named Shasta.

Source
What in the hell?

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN

rawImage.jpg

rawImage.jpg
It would only be inappropriate if her thumb ("the tickler") was also pointing out ;)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron