Best new Android Phones?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Yes. Another one of these threads. And no, I'm not SIAP.

I've got a lot invested in google and such, and although I don't mind Apple, I'm really not interested in the iPhones or anything.

I've been checking out the Droid DNA, but... not sure. The Razr Maxx HD looks pretty darn sweet, but I'm not sure if I need all those guts.

Since it's been a while for me when it comes to getting a new phone (HTC Incredible), I guess I don't really know when the best time to go buy one is, and if I'm going to drop decent cash on a phone, I'd rather not do that and then either a bunch of sales happen, or the next wave of new stuff.

Is there anything coming out that I should wait for? I can wait probably 2 months max, although the sooner the better.

Thanks!

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Don't wait for the "new" phone to come out. You will be waiting your whole life to get a new phone.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The best Android phone you can buy, as of December 2012 (International edition) | Android Central

I like the nexus phones for less carrier garbage, but the latest one is only available as a gsm phone. The SIII seems to be the overwhelming consumer choice. Also the screen sizes keep going up, don't know if that matters to you, some people like it and some don't. The MWC is also coming up in a couple of months, and new phones will be coming out, but timing is hard to pick really. In 5 months whatever you get will most assuredly be dated. :)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It sounds like youre on verizon.

Right now id probably say the best is the Galaxy s 3 or the droid dna if youre re-upping your contract and want the latest and greatest.

At the same time, ive got no complaints about the Galaxy Nexus i got a few months ago, and you can get them for decently cheap off contract (important if you have unlimited data and want to keep that), plus your updates will come faster than on any other verizon phone.

I had an incredible, and liked it, but unfortunately HTC hasnt really released a great phone on verizon since then, dumbing down their incredible line. The droid DNA may change that. Ive read that sense really hasnt adapted well over time though, i prefer vanilla android that a nexus has. (and the GS3's customizations stay out of the way a lot more than sense does)

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I too have a Nexus on verizon, wouldn't trade it for another android phone at this point.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have the same scenario as the OP, currently have an Incredible w/ Verizon looking to upgrade without losing my unlimited data.

Have been looking at the Maxx HD & GSIII but haven't really wanted to drop that much money. I'll have to look into the Nexus some more.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I got the Galaxy Note II a month ago and I love it. Battery life is strong, and I've had no problems with slowness. It is very large though, and if you are normal sized (I'm 6'4") you will probably want the Galaxy S3. It's plenty big enough.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I sat on my Incredible for a whole year waiting for the right phone to hit the market. The DNA was it for me. The screen and processor are currently peerless in the market. Sealed battery and no SD slot don't matter to me. Built in wireless charging is handy for times I do need to bump charge. Fantastic phone.

Note II is also a great phone. A little too big for me, and I don't care for Samsung's gimmicky stuff like S-Voice and S-Beam that already exist in Android.

Motorola is 9 months late to the party with the Razr HD line. Dual-core Snapdragon with a 720p screen? HTC, Samsung and LG have all moved beyond those specs. The MAXX was the go-to because of the battery for most of the last year, but the Note II has all the battery life in a much better package.

The only credit I'll give Motorola is that the Razr M is a solid midrange phone. Good internals, manageable size, Jelly Bean with Google Now and priced to move.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
My family has 4 Droid HD Maxx and have had no problems, except for the wife. She cannot figure out how to use all the features, but she also had problems on a simple phone making call and texting.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
This is like asking which is the better team at the bottom of the crappy B10 conference. Should I pick Iowa or Minny.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
My family has 4 Droid HD Maxx and have had no problems, except for the wife. She cannot figure out how to use all the features, but she also had problems on a simple phone making call and texting.

Time to upgrade the wife.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
This is like asking which is the better team at the bottom of the crappy B10 conference. Should I pick Iowa or Minny.

Lolz...

I get that you're a crapple fanboy & all, but you seriously think the iPhone is better than the top droid models out right now??

Please do tell in which ways!

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I had the same situation as the OP. Original Droid Incredible. I went with the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Pretty happy with the phone so far. Few issues with the software, no complaints about screen or battery life. Probably the most annoying thing is how the dialer only shows the immediate previous call - have to make a second selection each time going into the dialer to see recent calls. Love the battery life. I don't even think about charging during the day. The heaviest usage days I've still got 40% left.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have had her for 36 years. I think I am a lifer. I signed her up for the class at the Verizon store, but she did not go. I think she just likes to have things to complain about.

The video quality is great on the HD and the battery life is great, have never gotten below 40%, even on days when I did not charge it overnight.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Lolz...

I get that you're a crapple fanboy & all, but you seriously think the iPhone is better than the top droid models out right now??

Please do tell in which ways!

There are actually a lot of things the iPhone does better....and this is coming from a serious Android user. You just sound like a fan boy on the other side...

I have a Nexus 4 on the Straight Talk $45/mo unlimited plan. I save $45 a month on my plan, and have no contract so can move wherever and whenever I want. And the phone was $350, UNLOCKED. Google is really pushing the pricing with this phone, and I loved being able to tell Verizon where they could stick their $90 plan on 2 yr contract.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
There are actually a lot of things the iPhone does better....and this is coming from a serious Android user. You just sound like a fan boy on the other side...

I have a Nexus 4 on the Straight Talk $45/mo unlimited plan. I save $45 a month on my plan, and have no contract so can move wherever and whenever I want. And the phone was $350, UNLOCKED. Google is really pushing the pricing with this phone, and I loved being able to tell Verizon where they could stick their $90 plan on 2 yr contract.

I looked at this option, but in Fart Dodge, Verizon and US Cellular are the only carriers that blanket the area. ST is tied to AT&T towers, right? We're really getting hosed on the 4G revolution up here. US Cell has it up and running, Verizon was working on it but hurricane Sandy took all their techs. AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile aren't even pushing 3G to the area.