Best beer prices?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
So some buddies and I are heading up to Wisconsin this weekend for a bachelor party. We'll be floating so needless to say we will need some beer.

With that said, I know it's been discussed on here that some alcohol prices are better in surrounding states. Since we'll be going to Somerset we will head through Minnesota just east of the Twin Cities as well.

I thought I would ask what state would give us the best prices. Feel free to suggest any specific stores/beers as well since I know the selection of crafts is greater up there.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's not really cheap beer if that is what you are going for but I always like to pick up something from New Glarus when I am in Wisconsin.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
That's a very broad question. It depends on the type of beer, how much you'll be buying, etc. Do you want craft beer or are you cool with yellow fizzy stuff? Do you have any brand loyalties (some beer won't even be available depending on what state you're in)?

No matter what, there's probably not going to be a huge difference in price either way.

howie

Sep 10, 2013
So some buddies and I are heading up to Wisconsin this weekend for a bachelor party. We'll be floating so needless to say we will need some beer.

With that said, I know it's been discussed on here that some alcohol prices are better in surrounding states. Since we'll be going to Somerset we will head through Minnesota just east of the Twin Cities as well.

I thought I would ask what state would give us the best prices. Feel free to suggest any specific stores/beers as well since I know the selection of crafts is greater up there.

Have made this trip up to AR multiple times. Right when you come into somerset there is a good liquor store with good prices. About 17$ for a 30 rack of Busch Cookies. AR is not a place for craft beer, bottles take up way to much space and you need way more room/beer than you think. 12 guys went through 300+ beers Friday night through Sunday. Pro tip - bring beads and make Jell-O shots and only give them out to girls. Only way to have ahem...a better view. Rivers up BTW so prepare to make your own sandbar stops by just stoping where it gets shallow. And as said before being way more beer than you think you need on the float.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
If you just want the absolute cheapest price for any canned beer, there are several places in the Twin Cities that'll sell a 30-pack of Hamm's for $14.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If you just want the absolute cheapest price for any canned beer, there are several places in the Twin Cities that'll sell a 30-pack of Hamm's for $14.

/thread.

Not gonna beat that deal for price, quality, and hipsterness anywhere.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Have made this trip up to AR multiple times. Right when you come into somerset there is a good liquor store with good prices. About 17$ for a 30 rack of Busch Cookies. AR is not a place for craft beer, bottles take up way to much space and you need way more room/beer than you think. 12 guys went through 300+ beers Friday night through Sunday. Pro tip - bring beads and make Jell-O shots and only give them out to girls. Only way to have ahem...a better view. Rivers up BTW so prepare to make your own sandbar stops by just stoping where it gets shallow. And as said before being way more beer than you think you need on the float.

Plenty of craft beer comes in cans now. Finally, because cans > bottles in literally every single way.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
You don't want craft beer for tubing down a river. Just get some crappy light beer and go from there.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA

I was just there on the 4th and the river was low and sand bars were everyone did Wisconsin just get a bunch of rain all of sudden cause that river was perfect then.

Feb 6, 2013
We always stopped in Stillwater, just before the border. Not necessary the cheapest beer, but not too expensive either. And a fun little town to boot! If you want the best selection in MN, check out Blue Max liquors at the 35 E/W split.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Thanks for all the responses, I'll mention these suggestions. I figured maybe some craft beer would be nice while at the campsite but then again I could see some of the guys going ham nonstop.

I don't think any of the group has actually been there before so if there's anything else you can think of feel free to throw it out there.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Thanks for all the responses, I'll mention these suggestions. I figured maybe some craft beer would be nice while at the campsite but then again I could see some of the guys going ham nonstop.

I don't think any of the group has actually been there before so if there's anything else you can think of feel free to throw it out there.

Some good craft beer that comes in cans:

12 oz cans - Summit, Oskar Blues, Big Sky, Ballast Point, Boulevard (just started)

16 oz cans - Surly, Tallgrass, Bell's

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't know if you go through there but Woodmans(onalaska) near LaCrosse has a ton of beer. Both craft and domestic. You're asking about getting the best beer prices so I would ignore craft beer. This would be like saying "Tell me the best car I can get for $20k new" and people recommending a BMW.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you cross the border in Prairie Du Chien you NEED to stop at Starks. Great liquor prices and you can pick up a 5th of whiskey AND a hi-power rifle in the same aisle. To me this store is the essence of Wisconsin. Boats, tackle, booze and guns.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
If you cross the border in Prairie Du Chien you NEED to stop at Starks. Great liquor prices and you can pick up a 5th of whiskey AND a hi-power rifle in the same aisle. To me this store is the essence of Wisconsin. Boats, tackle, booze and guns.

You forgot cheese