Best Ames Bank for Students

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

OPCyclone

Dec 4, 2008
Overland Park, KS
My son is planning to start at ISU this Fall. My work credit union (free account where he banks at) does not have any ATMs in the Ames area that are "fee" free.

Recommendations for the most handy, low charge, banking account that has handy ATM locations for students in Ames? Or is there a national chain that would work well and has a good presence in Ames with available ATMs?

It has been forever that I looked into banks as I have been using the same one for 27 years....maybe an "online" bank is better - but that is really out of my understanding....

Thank you in advance!

Mike

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Midwest Heritage Bank is located in the East Hy Vee and open on Sundays. Could do shopping, banking and Cyclone Liquor all in 1 trip.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My son is planning to start at ISU this Fall. My work credit union (free account where he banks at) does not have any ATMs in the Ames area that are "fee" free.

Recommendations for the most handy, low charge, banking account that has handy ATM locations for students in Ames? Or is there a national chain that would work well and has a good presence in Ames with available ATMs?

It has been forever that I looked into banks as I have been using the same one for 27 years....maybe an "online" bank is better - but that is really out of my understanding....

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Most kids don't carry cash, they use a debit card or cycash. Just get one through your local bank and slip him 20 bucks when he goes.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I dont know about how the checking accounts work there or any fees associated, but if you bank with US Bank then your student ID can double as a debit card.

The best option may be to just get cash back when getting groceries or a snack at a gas station and continue to use your current bank.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
US bank is the way to go. ATMs in the library, the Union and other locations on campus. There is a bank branch with ATMs in campus town and one in downtown Ames.

As mentioned above US Bank can link your son’s student ID to the account and he can use it as an ATM card.

They have an decent app for your phone too.

Both my kids use US Bank and it has worked well.

Last edited:

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I used US Bank when I was there. There was a branch just down the street from my parents house so if I needed money for something they could put it in.

One of my roommates simply used cashback at stores as his ATM. Several times we'd have to stop at Hy-Vee or somewhere so he could spend $1 on a candy bar and then get like $60 cash back

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Another vote for US bank. I still use the account over 15 years later as my main checking account. If I remember, they have no fee checking for students and will use your student ID number for your account login. My login to my online account is still my student ID.

They have ATMs all around the university and town, plus the bank branch across the street from Friley is nice if you need to use it.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Is your credit union on the Shazam network? If so. Almost any credit union atm will be free to use. Im a member at Veridian and I use all sorts of other credit union ATM's for free

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
US Bank sucks balls along with any other major bank. I use Vision Bank but would also go with Greater Iowa Credit Union,

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
My freshman year of college I showed up to the dorms with $150 to my name that I stashed in my sock drawer. It’s kindve mind boggling how poor college kids are but still scrape by.