Before I watch the game replay

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
There are a couple of items that I am wanting to check out that had me shaking my head sitting in JTS with the limited replay they show on the scoreboards.
1) Our interception that was overturned. The images on the scoreboard looked like a clean grab after being batted by 2 other defenders.
2) The targeting penalty. Seeing it live, iffy if even roughing passer let alone an ejection.
3) Kolar being penalized as ineligible receiver negating a big Cyclone play at the SEZ.
4) The play where the OU defender demolished our center prior to the snap and the officials huddled for what seemed like an eternity before calling it a false start.

There are probably a couple others that I will remember as I watch.

Reactions: atlantacyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There are a couple of items that I am wanting to check out that had me shaking my head sitting in JTS with the limited replay they show on the scoreboards.
1) Our interception that was overturned. The images on the scoreboard looked like a clean grab after being batted by 2 other defenders.
2) The targeting penalty. Seeing it live, iffy if even roughing passer let alone an ejection.
3) Kolar being penalized as ineligible receiver negating a big Cyclone play at the SEZ.
4) The play where the OU defender demolished our center prior to the snap and the officials huddled for what seemed like an eternity before calling it a false start.

Item 1 was the right call. Item 2 was right call given what their told to do. Item 4 was weird and not the right call most likely.

idk about item 3. Was taking a piss.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
1. It made enough contact with the ground to overturn IMO.
2. It was iffy but he did make contact with his helmet.
3. I believe this was called correctly but didn't pay enough attention.
4. This was crap.

Lincoln Riley is still a *****.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I still never understood the personal foul penalty called on Hudson for being on his back on the ground getting punched and stepped on by OU?? That one really ticked me off. The ONLY thing I can even imagine is if he said something really bad??

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

1) correct call
2) by rule, correct call, although dumb.
3) can’t recall enough detail to give an opinion.
4) a WR definitely moved before the defender crossed the line and made contact, so it was the correct call. If the WR wasn’t falling forward, its an obvious offsides on the D.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
#4 the false start was called on our receiver (no. 9) and he was definitely starting his "LOS shake-and-bake" thing that receivers do before the snap and before the defender ran over the center.

#1 the INT was a good call, ball hit the ground before he had possession.

#2 roughing the passer was a good call, but i thought targeting was a bad decision. He hit chest-to-chest with helmet offset to the side and didn't launch into the QB. But the hit was too late.

#3 I don't remember seeing the replay.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I still never understood the personal foul penalty called on Hudson for being on his back on the ground getting punched and stepped on by OU?? That one really ticked me off. The ONLY thing I can even imagine is if he said something really bad??

He kicked the OU guy from his back. It barely made contact and wasn’t a huge deal, but you just can’t kick or hit (or even make a kicking/hitting motion).

• Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
IIRC the explanation on #3 was that Kolar was not set properly before the snap, or something similar related to his position on the field pre-snap. It was after a group motion I think.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
1) correct call
2) by rule, correct call, although dumb.
3) can’t recall enough detail to give an opinion.
4) a WR definitely moved before the defender crossed the line and made contact, so it was the correct call. If the WR wasn’t falling forward, its an obvious offsides on the D.
Was the defender between the ball and the WR? If the defender crosses the line and is between the ball and wr that should have been offsides since receiver watch the ball and movement into that region blocking the ball would be considered cause for the false start.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
He kicked the OU guy from his back. It barely made contact and wasn’t a huge deal, but you just can’t kick or hit (or even make a kicking/hitting motion).
Yeah he definitely tried kicking somebody, but the ref missed the OU guy throwing a punch a second prior. Should have been offsetting personal fouls.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Was the defender between the ball and the WR? If the defender crosses the line and is between the ball and wr that should have been offsides since receiver watch the ball and movement into that region blocking the ball would be considered cause for the false start.
The defender was right over the center, the WR was split off to the right. Neither player went offsides because of each other, they just both happened to jump and our WR unfortunately moved first.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Our receiver was clearly moving before the defender moved.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It looked to me like Hudson attempted to kick the OU player in a tender region.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Had some pre snap mistakes. Akers an illegal motion, the Kolar ineligible, and had another play called back because there were only 6 on the LOS, one of the WR supposed to be on the LOS but wasn’t.

The false start on Hutchinson is tough. Though the OU DL moves first, they are saying that movement isn’t what made XH jump (which I agree is prob the case), and that XH moved before the OU DL made contact (very close).

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The way the game played out reminded me a lot of the 2017 win.

- OU offense has their way with us the first couple possessions, and it looks like things could get out of hand if we don't step up. The "classic OU vs ISU" mentality creeps into the fan's minds

- Defense clamps down, offense methodically moves the ball and keeps us within striking distance going into the second half.

- ISU makes some big plays in the second half and pounces when they can smell blood in the water.

- ISU does what's needed to put the game away. 2017, the defense makes a 4th down stop. 2020, the offense gets the one first down they needed.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Our receiver was clearly moving before the defender moved.
I thought it looked like in slow motion that the OU DL moved first. But watching live it is so close I think it’s clear that both the OU guy and Hutchinson got fooled by the hard count.

Help Support Us

Become a patron