Barry Alvarez to retire this summer.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Given Pollard's tension with ISU faculty, who knows.
I would imagine there is some tension between AD’s and some faculty at every major University. Especially the places where an insane amount of $ is spent on athletics. Alvarez had his fair share at Wisconsin too.

Reactions: FatNTired

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

They have to reach out to JP right?

Who knows? I think his last kid is graduating from high school this year, so they could be looking to move.

It would be nice if we could keep him and Campbell for 20 more years....

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Pollard legacy is and will be ISU...He's not going anywhere. His stress level would be higher at Wisc and given his health history I'm betting he has zero desire to leave isu. He might be from Wisc but he raised his family in Ames and been in Ames 20 years.

Aside from that there is no way he's leaving ISU right before ISU football really does something special..

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I heard Pollard give a talk to a small audience years ago at a professional conference. It was more about leadership than athletics specifically. But somehow the topic of Wisconsin came up and he talked about how they've changed, they forgot who they are, etc. I was surprised both at the disdain he seemed to have for Wisconsin and that he would talk publicly about it, even at this low-visibility event.

That's just one data point (which is now very dated), and obviously things can change. But he's talked numerous times in recent years about not forgetting who we are as we grow and experience more success, and whenever he does I can't help but think of that speech. Whatever happened when he was at Wisconsin, or since he left, appears to have had a real impact on him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anyone going to take Barry's place will be under a big shadow for a long while.

He's the king of football and face of UW athletics and was in charge largely during some of the UW's best years in the big sports regardless of actual influence.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
And here I thought Wisconsin was working on that technology to keep him alive forever. :p