B12 Tournament - 2024

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
See they are splitting the MBB & WBB Tournaments again - but both in KC. Appears to be so the WBB is played in T-Mobile also. I TOTALLY disagree with this move, first because it makes most fans choose between the two tournaments - they do not have the resources to be in KC that long to stay for both tournaments. Secondly it will reduce the attendance at the WBB tournament and the games will look baron in T-Mobile with 2-3 thousand in a 20 thousand seat arena. Also means a long layoff for the WBB teams before the NCAA games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
See they are splitting the MBB & WBB Tournaments again - but both in KC. Appears to be so the WBB is played in T-Mobile also. I TOTALLY disagree with this move, first because it makes most fans choose between the two tournaments - they do not have the resources to be in KC that long to stay for both tournaments. Secondly it will reduce the attendance at the WBB tournament and the games will look baron in T-Mobile with 2-3 thousand in a 20 thousand seat arena. Also means a long layoff for the WBB teams before the NCAA games.
Yeah, I think that this is so heavily based on the appearance of equality for the women's game but it is going to seriously work against the women's game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's only a really big deal if you're a fan of a bad women's team and a good men's team and want to watch both.

The women's tournament will start on a Thursday night, but in a 14-team format (2024 and 2025), the top 4 seeds won't play until Saturday.

So if the ISU women are a top 4 seed and make the finals, and the men are 5-8 and make the semis, your schedule is: Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Last edited:

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Yea, I hate this. One of the big appeal to KC this year and next is being able to take in 2 games.

Reactions: ISC

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Very dumb move. I wonder who they were listening to.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's not great, overall, but it's a hell of a lot better than the "different week and different city" debacle from 2013-19.

Nothing screamed "power 5 conference championship game" like 3,500 people in the Thunder or Mavs arenas at 8:00 on a Monday night while the majority of the league's basketball media and fans were still getting ready for Kansas City.

Reactions: ISC and acoustimac

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I do t think the womens team attendance in KC will be hurt that much. It seems that a large percentage of WBB ticket holders only follow the women. But we shall see.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I do t think the womens team attendance in KC will be hurt that much. It seems that a large percentage of WBB ticket holders only follow the women. But we shall see.

I don't think attendance will drop too much though lots of ISU fans went to both. I think the issue is putting it in the Sprint center (Whatever it's called now) It's going to look empty.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
For those of us who attend both, that’s an awful lot of time in KC and lots more hotel $. Only saw the article here on CF, and didn’t read about two separate tournament schedules in the same arena. Yuck.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For those of us who attend both, that’s an awful lot of time in KC and lots more hotel $. Only saw the article here on CF, and didn’t read about two separate tournament schedules in the same arena. Yuck.

The question is why does the B12 admin hate BB fans.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Depends on what kinda baron we are talking about. Cattle baron, oil baron, a pimp is a whoar baron so that could be a funny looking crowd.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Depends on what kinda baron we are talking about. Cattle baron, oil baron, a pimp is a whoar baron so that could be a funny looking crowd.

Well the 1st 2 are all running to the SEC. Suppose Baylor might have some oil money but they always talk about lawyering on their website. Okie state and kstate have some real life cowboys.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The Big 12 website.
Yeah, I had to look in the spring meeting notes to find this. They “conveniently” didn’t include it in the article announcing keeping both in KC. That sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I agree that it is moving backwards for fans, but it’s also possible this was a request of Kansas City and/or T-Mobile Center.

Reactions: BoxsterCy