Awesome piece in the DI

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This has nothing to do with sports, but we had a really awesome piece run in Monday's paper, and it's gotten a lot of national attention. It's been picked up by the Huffington Post, MSN, and several other news outlets.

My baby, not my child - The Daily Iowan

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I cried when I read that because I am adopted and learned a few years ago that my theories on the process were so much different than the reality.

For 25 years I thought my birth mom was some low-income drug user or alcoholic. I was certain that's why she gave me up. When I finally met her I learned her story was very similar to this woman. She wanted me but the cards didn't come out right. I hear people say they could never give their baby up for adoption. I hear people say adoption is for selfish people.

Giving me up for adoption was the hardest experience my birth mom ever faced and to this day I am so thankful I ended up where I did. Don't ever discount adoption. Don't say it doesn't help the woman and the child. In this story it is clear the adoption saved two lives, the mother and the baby. What a wonderful thing.

Reactions: 1 person

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I cried when I read that because I am adopted and learned a few years ago that my theories on the process were so much different than the reality.

For 25 years I thought my birth mom was some low-income drug user or alcoholic. I was certain that's why she gave me up. When I finally met her I learned her story was very similar to this woman. She wanted me but the cards didn't come out right. I hear people say they could never give their baby up for adoption. I hear people say adoption is for selfish people.

Giving me up for adoption was the hardest experience my birth mom ever faced and to this day I am so thankful I ended up where I did. Don't ever discount adoption. Don't say it doesn't help the woman and the child. In this story it is clear the adoption saved two lives, the mother and the baby. What a wonderful thing.

With all due respect, I've never heard any kind of mainstream thought that discounts adoption. I'm sure there are a few cranks out there who feel it's selfish or whatever, but I've just never heard anyone seriously suggest it's in any way a bad thing.

I read this story the other day and it was well done. I wasn't expecting to actually *see* the childbirth, but it was well done.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Good story, do the videos add much? I didn't bother to watch them.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Good story, do the videos add much? I didn't bother to watch them.

The video are a narration by Callie with photos. They're broken up so the video you're watching involves the part of the story you're reading at that moment. The last video also has some stuff from the adoptive mother that was really good.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I appreciate the fact that she owned up to her mistakes and did the right thing in the end. She seems to have learned a lot of lessons...

I really wish young men and women would be smarter. There are so many resources and ways to prevent unexpected/unwanted pregnancies, yet we still end up with way too many. Abstinence is a pipe dream for most unfortunately. Birth control exists in all shapes and sizes and it's the responsibility of both the guy and the girl to take care of this. There aren't a lot of excuses anymore IMO. (It's a different story in the 1% of cases or less where the birth control fails).

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
With all due respect, I've never heard any kind of mainstream thought that discounts adoption. I'm sure there are a few cranks out there who feel it's selfish or whatever, but I've just never heard anyone seriously suggest it's in any way a bad thing.

I've not heard that either, but I work with a population that has a lot of teenage unwed mothers, welfare recipients, etc., and frequently I'll here them talk about how adoption is wrong. It's not an isolated lady here or there, it's almost a universal thought. Not sure why but oh well...

I don't get upset about much in life and try to stay away from politics but this is one topic that for obvious reasons grabs my attention.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I also cried when I read it - I am also adopted. I know today's method is much different than when I was born in 1970. I have made contact with an investigator about finding my birth parents and he confirmed what I've read about the agency in Sioux City.

I believe I still carry much guilt around about being adopted. I can't imagine what life was like for my birth mom during those 8 (?) months she was aware of my presence. Being a single teenage mother in 1970 was not something anyone wanted to do.

I have an immense amount of expect for anyone that would go through that and give the child up for adoption. And I also fully support a woman's right to choose.

Help Support Us

Become a patron