Auto Diagnostic Tools

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have debated off and on investing in one of these to figure out what's going on when a check engine light comes on instead of taking it to a dealer and paying them to do it. Does anybody have a good suggestion on one that offers a good combination of value and practically? I see you can get ones that hook into your smartphone, but am uncertain if they are as good as a more traditional plug in unit?

Side note, You Tube is a wonderful way to look up how to fix things you are unfamiliar with repairing.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I have debated off and on investing in one of these to figure out what's going on when a check engine light comes on instead of taking it to a dealer and paying them to do it. Does anybody have a good suggestion on one that offers a good combination of value and practically? I see you can get ones that hook into your smartphone, but am uncertain if they are as good as a more traditional plug in unit?

Side note, You Tube is a wonderful way to look up how to fix things you are unfamiliar with repairing.
AutoZone will do the diagnostic for free. Just go up to the desk and ask them. They'll come out, plug in, run the diagnostic, and give you the printouts.

kobe-youre-welcome.gif

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
AutoZone will do the diagnostic for free. Just go up to the desk and ask them. They'll come out, plug in, run the diagnostic, and give you the printouts.

kobe-youre-welcome.gif
Do you know if they will still reset C-E codes? Not all places do anymore. I'm actually looking for one that does (damn O2 sensor).

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
There are some good options out there that run off apps and Bluetooth, but I haven't picked one of those up yet.

I have an Equus OBD2 code reader that cost about $80. Has more than paid for itself over the past 8ish years, and it does reset/clear codes. Once you have the code you can just google it up. Any major auto parts store chain will carry those or something similar.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Do you know if they will still reset C-E codes? Not all places do anymore. I'm actually looking for one that does (damn O2 sensor).

Just fix it. It is illegal to just clear codes.

At my local O'Reilly's they said that they cannot clear the codes but I can. So I let them hold my license behind the counter while I use the OBD scan tool to read and clear codes. Then I give them the tool back, get my license back and go on my marry way.

FYI the tools will only read certain codes. There are codes that are proprietary that generic readers cannot access. Same goes for transmission controller codes, brake controller codes, etc. So even with an OBD scan tool you may occasionally have to go to the dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: DeftOne and wxman1