Austin Desanto Transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I would much rather have Gomez than Desanto. Excited to see these two go head to head next year. Hopefully Gomez is good at defending arm bars :)

Reactions: cyclonenation5

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Their seasons went in opposite directions after that. With the training partners at Iowa and this kid's raw talent he will become a hammer--IF he can mature. I've heard he is Iowa bound.
It's doubtful they wrestle again, but Parker is a more complete wrestler at this point in their careers. DeSanto's season was better statistically, but he racked up a lot of wins versus chumps. Parker had to get his knee scoped 3-4 weeks before the post season, after beating a two time NCAA champ. He hand fights better, controls ties better, and mat wrestles better than DeSanto. Plus his motor is better. DeSanto was a bit of a Flo hype machine. By the end of the year people had watched him and figured out how to control ties and keep him out of his wheelhouse positions, and he had a lot of trouble adjusting. Plus his weaknesses on bottom were exposed. Iowa may be a good place for him to make gains, but he will have to make some big mental and technical adjustments.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It's doubtful they wrestle again, but Parker is a more complete wrestler at this point in their careers. DeSanto's season was better statistically, but he racked up a lot of wins versus chumps. Parker had to get his knee scoped 3-4 weeks before the post season, after beating a two time NCAA champ. He hand fights better, controls ties better, and mat wrestles better than DeSanto. Plus his motor is better. DeSanto was a bit of a Flo hype machine. By the end of the year people had watched him and figured out how to control ties and keep him out of his wheelhouse positions, and he had a lot of trouble adjusting. Plus his weaknesses on bottom were exposed. Iowa may be a good place for him to make gains, but he will have to make some big mental and technical adjustments.

Flo didn't get him to the quarters at nationals.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Yeah, and I’ve made this point before too, but the kid is good. I don’t really see the need to disparage his results as a wrestler.

I don’t like DeSanto, but he has gotten results against AA’s and finalists. The “hype” argument is stupid.

However, he seems like a ticking time bomb that can’t control his emotions. I understand he has a condition but if it’s affecting him to the point where he’s going to seriously injure other athletes then he shouldn’t be out there.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, and I’ve made this point before too, but the kid is good. I don’t really see the need to disparage his results as a wrestler.

I don’t like DeSanto, but he has gotten results against AA’s and finalists. The “hype” argument is stupid.

However, he seems like a ticking time bomb that can’t control his emotions. I understand he has a condition but if it’s affecting him to the point where he’s going to seriously injure other athletes then he shouldn’t be out there.

Agreed. He's very talented and if his head is on right, very difficult to beat. I also don't get this 'easy to figure out' line. 3 of his 7 losses on the year were to Mueller from VA, who he then proceeded to major at Nationals. Yes, Micic hammered him (after DeSantos majored Micic earlier) but Micic was on a hell of a roll at the time.

Iowa has had major success with head cases such as this in the past. I predict Austin will be very successful there. I imagine Spenser Lee will be a big influence on him also.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

He made the quarters at the NCAAs as a true freshman. Did the Flo hype get him there? He's going from Drexel to a room where he will be the Brands, Gilman, Clark and Lee on a daily basis. On the flip side 133 is tough and the guy has some serious issues between the ears. It will be intruiging to see how and if he develps.

• Agree
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
He made the quarters at the NCAAs as a true freshman. Did the Flo hype get him there? He's going from Drexel to a room where he will be the Brands, Gilman, Clark and Lee on a daily basis. On the flip side 133 is tough and the guy has some serious issues between the ears. It will be intruiging to see how and if he develps.
Would it be too much to ask for you to just go post over on your own fan site?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I loved listening to all the Hawk fans ripping DeSanto after his antics at the NCAA's, just like everyone else in the country, and rightfully so.

Now it's crickets though. Brands must be getting desperate trying to beat Cael by bringing in guys like Downey and DeSanto.

• Winner
Reactions: Brandon and Scott34

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
If I recall, he lost to Chaz Tucker at EIWAs. Then, his first match at NCAAs was a forfeit due to a skin condition, then he beat Mueller (who closed the season in a slump) to get to the quarters and then lost to Delvechio. So, he went 1-2 at nationals in matches he wrestled. Time will tell, he had deficiencies on the mat and from neutral if you don't underhook him he gets frustrated easily.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I loved listening to all the Hawk fans ripping DeSanto after his antics at the NCAA's, just like everyone else in the country, and rightfully so.

Now it's crickets though. Brands must be getting desperate trying to beat Cael by bringing in guys like Downey and DeSanto.

Yeah I remember Iowa State fans spitting venom at Metcalf when he was at Iowa for his antics too. Happens everywhere.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If I recall, he lost to Chaz Tucker at EIWAs. Then, his first match at NCAAs was a forfeit due to a skin condition, then he beat Mueller (who closed the season in a slump) to get to the quarters and then lost to Delvechio. So, he went 1-2 at nationals in matches he wrestled. Time will tell, he had deficiencies on the mat and from neutral if you don't underhook him he gets frustrated easily.

He beat Lee and dominated Mejia 18-5 in HS and majored Micic at Cliff Keen, and made it to the quarterfinals at nationals as a freshman. Yes time will tell and he has issues to deal with but if you think he's just hype you're kidding yourself.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah I remember Iowa State fans spitting venom at Metcalf when he was at Iowa for his antics too. Happens everywhere.

Metcalf wrestled a few years and it kind of cooled off and still not every ISU fan was sold.

Iowa went from badmouthing Downey and DeSanto to 15 minutes later worshiping them. DeSanto might cool off (I actually think its a good fit). But its not really apples to apples IMO

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Just stop it. Nothing he has said in this thread is out of line. You guys piling on the "Iowa fan" thing all the time is what's annoying.

Except that he is a hawk fan. And you never see him here unless it’s to talk about them and defend them.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Just stop it. Nothing he has said in this thread is out of line. You guys piling on the "Iowa fan" thing all the time is what's annoying.
Agree...and I personally don't care if posters on here are Panther fans, Hawk fans, or Cyclone fans. Good wrestling conversation, sharing opinions, and "insider info" is why I visit this forum. As long as there isn't straight out bashing of our program, I welcome most posters. If it's about bashing KJ when he was coach, I was calling for his head several years before it actually happened too. I liked him as a person, but didn't think he was doing well (in many areas) as a college coach. I voiced that opinion on this message board several times for years. Maybe I had a softer approach? Either way, the constant bashing of a poster for being a Hawk fan is extremely silly in my opinion.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Agree...and I personally don't care if posters on here are Panther fans, Hawk fans, or Cyclone fans. Good wrestling conversation, sharing opinions, and "insider info" is why I visit this forum. As long as there isn't straight out bashing of our program, I welcome most posters. If it's about bashing KJ when he was coach, I was calling for his head several years before it actually happened too. I liked him as a person, but didn't think he was doing well (in many areas) as a college coach. I voiced that opinion on this message board several times for years. Maybe I had a softer approach? Either way, the constant bashing of a poster for being a Hawk fan is extremely silly in my opinion.

If I'm remember it right it went back to KJ's 3rd year when Sorenson got hurt so we had 0 all americans and a historically poor showing at Nationals. Everybody was in a bad mood and he was on the leading edge of the fire KJ front and supposedly had some online spats with some of his family which people didn't approve of. I didn't think it was fair to judge KJ at that point because we were at the absolute bottom of trough of what Cael left behind. Now, as it turns out, those that were calling for his head were right and I was wrong and I have owned that several times over. I don't know if he's a hawk fan, a hawk sympathizer, or just has connections in IC and honestly, it makes no difference to me. As you state, as long as it stays civil, the more wrestling talk we get on here the better.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I haven't piled on anyone at anytime about being an "Iowa fan" other than this time. It is warranted in this case with him because a huge majority of his post are positive Iowa posts and negative ISU posts. I don't care if hawk fans post here - I do care if hawk fans who pose as ISU fans post here - thats what is annoying to me.

He brings his pro Iowa "insider info" that is completely false sometimes, which is the case with his Teske claim.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Thanks, fellas. I was anti-KJ early on, I don't drink the Kool Aid, and due to family ties I get a number of rumors from the East side. So I'm branded an "Iowa fan." Nevermind I have posted many times how my "life" has been hell the past several years between wrestling and football. And no one seems to recognize that during the dark days of KJ I was telling the multitude of posters portraying our program as the Sisters of the Poor that they were full of it--we are one of the "haves" not the "have nots" in wrestling. The hire of KD shows this. And I've been one of his biggest proponents since Day 1 even through this rough initial season. I'm also a huge fan of the sport overall, not just our program.