anyone still use sling tv?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
With YTTV recent price hike, we are looking at alternate services to try out. Sling has a 14 free trial right now and going to try it out. We have CBS all access so we have that local streaming channel and we have an antenna too if needed. DVR isn't quite a good it seems. They have on-demand stuff too which most of the stuff we watch on YTTV is Ondemand/DVR. DVR doesn't look as good with sling but would be do able.

$45 ($50 for DVR upgrade to 50hr) vs $65 and has most of the channels we normally watch.

Anyone still use sling? Thoughts?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I can't speak to sling, but I have been using Hulu Plus Live TV and been happy with it. Get on demand content plus live TV. Pretty much identical channels to Youtube TV, has DVR, and on demand. I pay $55 with a commercial plan. I think it goes up a bit for on demand without commercials. I switched to it when PS Vue went away.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I can't speak to sling, but I have been using Hulu Plus Live TV and been happy with it. Get on demand content plus live TV. Pretty much identical channels to Youtube TV, has DVR, and on demand. I pay $55 with a commercial plan. I think it goes up a bit for on demand without commercials. I switched to it when PS Vue went away.

Yeah, we tried hulu live and it wasn't too bad. Not being able to FF on DVR was annoying though. Exploring all the options right now with trials.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Side note, if rates for these streaming services keep going up they are going to price cable and dish back into existence.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My wife and I are still on Sling. It's still okay. We thought about switching to YTTV but then they increased the prices. I've actually have found that we have watched less TV during the pandemic and I may end up dropping it.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Yeah, we tried hulu live and it wasn't too bad. Not being able to FF on DVR was annoying though. Exploring all the options right now with trials.
Trying my free trial of Hulu with Live TV now. Not impressed so far. May decide that the increased price of YTTV is worth it.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
YTTV is so far ahead of the other services that nothing else compares. Not worth haggling over $5-$15.

Honestly...just get an OTA antenna with PRIME and that is your cheapest option. My sister has that with a new LG TV and LG has like 160 free streaming channels they give you as well.

https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/lg-channels

pluto tv is a good streaming service for free as well.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
With YTTV recent price hike, we are looking at alternate services to try out. Sling has a 14 free trial right now and going to try it out. We have CBS all access so we have that local streaming channel and we have an antenna too if needed. DVR isn't quite a good it seems. They have on-demand stuff too which most of the stuff we watch on YTTV is Ondemand/DVR. DVR doesn't look as good with sling but would be do able.

$45 ($50 for DVR upgrade to 50hr) vs $65 and has most of the channels we normally watch.

Anyone still use sling? Thoughts?

I have used Sling for about 5 years. The service itself is not bad and I don't ever recall broadcast issues. We chose it because it had the channels we want (ESPN 1&2, History, HGTV, A&E) in the same package and was the cheapest to get those. Pretty much my only complaint is the limitation of one stream at a time if you only get the Orange package. If you get Blue or Orange and Blue you get three streams. I sign up for the Sports Extra every fall to get FS2. We don't watch a lot of TV outside of ISU sports anymore, watch more Netflix and Prime.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
We've been using Sling since Hulu Live increased prices 6 months or so ago. It seems like each platform has different idiosyncrasies. Some stations on Sling the audio and video will mess up in the last like 5-10 seconds of a show. Hulu fast forward was terrible and it seemed like we ended up watching groups of ads multiple times. We're simple and only need one stream, hardly ever use DVR, so it's really been about whats cheapest. Actually just cancelled Sling because Live PD was the only thing we were watching live. When (if?) football starts we'll go with whatever has all the sports channels for the lowest price.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
$65 / month is getting pretty close to the gotcha rates of DirecTV. So much for that whole game changer thing. Like I said, these things will converge somewhere in the middle and then probably start all going up again.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Side note, if rates for these streaming services keep going up they are going to price cable and dish back into existence.

As predicted. The method doesn't really even reduce costs. Eventually they are going to want to actually make money.

I use Sling because I kind of need there worse technology. I need to downgrade the quality at home to save data. It works but their tech and help are not great.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I will say the flexibility of the month to month from Sling and other subscription services is probably the biggest sell for me. I had DirecTV before this and I couldn't wait to get out of that contract. If I could get a month to month a la carte streaming option, I'd be all in on that.