Android Phone Upgrades

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Looking to get a new android phone (I use it for work and personal). I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S8 and it did everything I need. I don't need the best of the best, but my priorities would be something in similar size and not having to relearn a new phone. There are about 4-5 different Samsung S20 5G phones that all appear similar to me. Also, I've always bought phones through my carrier (Sprint/T-mobile ect) but am curious if I should be getting them from another retailer such as Amazon ect.

Also, I'm not interested in an iphone at this time.

TIA!

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm looking at the Samsung S20 FE which seems to be a lot of phone for the money

Also waiting to see the Pixel 4A 5G phone. Mostly for the camera

My 3 year old phone takes pretty bad pics compared to my wife's new iPhone.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm looking at the Samsung S20 FE which seems to be a lot of phone for the money

Yeah the S20 FE is the leader in the clubhouse for me right now.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Best buy has it currently for $549.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I like my S10, but I also get a new phone about every 6 years or so.

My work pays for it so I go every 2.5-3 years. I like the S8, but understand there are newer options.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have a Pixel 4a. Nice price, does everything I need, updates directly from google.

I'm reading the 4A 5G is basically the Pixel 5 Light.

The phones are getting so good now that a middle of the road phone should be more than enough....at least I think

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The new Pixel 5 might be a good choice depending on whether you preferred the samsung apps vs the Google apps. They've taken a step back this year from releasing a phone with the latest specs to have their flagship come in at $699 rather than the $1000 that Samsung and Apple are releasing.

I have a previous Pixel and really like the plain android over the extra stuff Samsung puts on their phones. They're always the first phones to get a software upgrade and they hold up well from a build quality standpoint.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Another vote for the Google Pixel. Great phones. Never have to wait for android updates. Phones not preinstalled with a bunch of apps you'll never use. I was a Samsung guy for years, but I switched to the Pixel series maybe 3 years ago and never looked back.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Another vote for the Google Pixel. Great phones. Never have to wait for android updates. Phones not preinstalled with a bunch of apps you'll never use. I was a Samsung guy for years, but I switched to the Pixel series maybe 3 years ago and never looked back.

Is the interface the same? I am a creature of habit. I also don't care or want to have my stuff stored on a cloud or whatever as sometimes I have sensitive work info I download.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Have the S20. It's a great phone but probably over the top for the price.

Would have gotten a Pixel when I upgraded but Google has a long way to go to catch Samsung in good looking phones.

Reactions: aauummm

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Have the S20. It's a great phone but probably over the top for the price.

Would have gotten a Pixel when I upgraded but Google has a long way to go to catch Samsung in good looking phones.

I'm sure I'd like the google phone but I just want something that does what I do now and is similar size ect. I'm not paying for it but don't need the top end $1400 either. If my charge port wasn't on the fritz with my current phone I'd just wait another year.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ that I've had for about 16 months now. I love it. It's borderline too big for me (and I don't have small hands), but the huge screen and all day and more battery are great. The cameras are pretty dang good.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron