Ames Lager

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Oh, I hope West O explosed and becomes the biggest brewer in the state. When it becomes more available in stores, their beer wont be the only beer I buy, but it will definitely be the majority.

Won’t exile and west o automatically be #1 and #2 by far if this nil situation stays as it is?

It’s not like they’re going up against the biggest craft brewers in the country. If I was a local craft brewer I’d be worried if I didn’t have one of these and seeing how to get one.

For any “alienated” customer they’re probably gaining 5.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just checked, and $20/4-pack? Damn. That's more expensive than pretty high-end beer.

For the people who go to Starbucks every day or buy comparable canned and bottled products already it’s a cool option. I have three trendy coffee shops and two huge coffee chains within a couple blocks and make coffee exclusively at home, you’d all lol at the LA prices of even the national chains. Once in a blue moon I’ll have a work meeting at one of these places and buy a round of $8 coffees for all w the company acct.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Doing some odds and ends today. Stopped into a liquor store that proudly wears their ISU gear. Had Cody road right away, has cyclone vodka. Asked about Ames Lager. Told me they ordered 20 cases got 5, that’s all gone and they don’t expect any more for awhile. It’s like trying to find the holy grail in NC Iowa.

CoachKM

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
The Fareway near 63rd and Grand in WDM had a few sixers of Ames Lager and some of the Jack Trice beer last night. It is in the back near the meat counter. Hopefully there is some left.

Reactions: NWICY

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
For the people who go to Starbucks every day or buy comparable canned and bottled products already it’s a cool option. I have three trendy coffee shops and two huge coffee chains within a couple blocks and make coffee exclusively at home, you’d all lol at the LA prices of even the national chains. Once in a blue moon I’ll have a work meeting at one of these places and buy a round of $8 coffees for all w the company acct.
For sure. I still want to get some for traveling and such, but I make cold brew for my wife and I anyway, so this will be more rare for us. I was just hoping to try it before shelling out $80 for it.

Reactions: HFCS

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Doing some odds and ends today. Stopped into a liquor store that proudly wears their ISU gear. Had Cody road right away, has cyclone vodka. Asked about Ames Lager. Told me they ordered 20 cases got 5, that’s all gone and they don’t expect any more for awhile. It’s like trying to find the holy grail in NC Iowa.
The Holy Grail would be easier to find.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Worse. At least the holy grail might actually exist in the 'wilds'.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Just checked, and $20/4-pack? Damn. That's more expensive than pretty high-end beer.
I feel like cold brews I've seen are $4-$5 so doesn't seem too crazy. As someone who makes his own coffee every morning it's definitely expensive but I'm going to get a pack or 2 just to have every once in awhile. Plus I'm not in Iowa so it's the only thing I can actually get and I feel left out right now lol

Reactions: BACyclone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

When it was first announced it was listed at $7/can on their website, at least they lowered it.

I got some at the Prairie Trail Hy-Vee in Ankeny last week, anybody else try it yet? We tried it at tailgating, and nobody who tried it was a fan unfortunately. The coffee flavor was solid/great, but there was a metalic/tin-like taste that ruined it. Wondering if anyone else experienced the same, hoping we just had a bad batch (though that taste was there in 4 different cans we tried).

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Guy at university liquor said that jordan creek hyvee got 4 pallets today.

University liquor was down to their last case after I left

H

Reactions: 06_CY

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Won’t exile and west o automatically be #1 and #2 by far if this nil situation stays as it is?

It’s not like they’re going up against the biggest craft brewers in the country. If I was a local craft brewer I’d be worried if I didn’t have one of these and seeing how to get one.

For any “alienated” customer they’re probably gaining 5.
Toppling Goliath kicks out around 50,000 barrels a year and has distro to at least 30 states now. I don’t think they will ever match that because these collective beers will only do well locally.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Guy at university liquor said that jordan creek hyvee got 4 pallets today.

University liquor was down to their last case after I left

H
Was just in the Jordan Creek HyVee and didn’t see any.
It was busy and I had to leave so couldn’t ask about it.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Was just in the Jordan Creek HyVee and didn’t see any.
It was busy and I had to leave so couldn’t ask about it.

I called them and sadly, you are correct. Said they haven't gotten any in a week.

H

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It usually does the opposite for consumers. I’ve designed some products that were manufactured below demand and then watch the insanity on eBay, I’m convinced half of them wouldn’t want it even for msrp if thousands were sitting in shelves at retail, let alone pay 8x msrp.

This thread is even probably building long term demand.

In fact, if West O had invested a bunch to meet demand, with a release timed for the start of tailgating season, I think they would be in a world of hurt in 6-9 months. I can’t imagine demand will ever be higher than it is right now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron