Ames Lager

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
A plethora of Ames Lagers to be seen. On the counter, the floor, the shelves, and in the back room (per the worker). A glorious sight. Better check your local stores. Snagged myself a few more.

Care to share any locales?

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
No more Ames Lager at Marshalltown Hyvee. Fareway has the vodka. Looks like I’ll be without Ames Lager for the cyhawk game. Very disappointing.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
A plethora of Ames Lagers to be seen. On the counter, the floor, the shelves, and in the back room (per the worker). A glorious sight. Better check your local stores. Snagged myself a few more.
I second this. Has been a gold mine for me and my buddy’s. I’ve had no issue getting some here

CYaeger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 23, 2019
Urbandale Hy-Vee literally has a mountain of swarm and no Ames Lager... Sad.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This beer was announced what, 2 months ago? And you guys expect them to have a stockpile already? They've obviously been working their asses off to get as much out as quickly as possible, just be patient. The fact it's flying off the shelves is a good thing.
I would just like it to be on the shelf to fly off. Only found one store in my area who even knew what it was and they said they just get a little once a week.

Reactions: isutrevman

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
I would just like it to be on the shelf to fly off. Only found one store in my area who even knew what it was and they said they just get a little once a week.
Again - making beer takes time. It's not like they can just throw the ingredients in a pot today and have beer ready to distribute tomorrow. I'm on the side of the fact that it's flying off the shelves is a good thing. Seeing huge piles of Swarm everywhere I go seems to indicate that there isn't as much demand for that as they thought, but not finding Ames Lager (and having discussions with the people working in the stores) indicates an incredibly high demand.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Again - making beer takes time. It's not like they can just throw the ingredients in a pot today and have beer ready to distribute tomorrow. I'm on the side of the fact that it's flying off the shelves is a good thing. Seeing huge piles of Swarm everywhere I go seems to indicate that there isn't as much demand for that as they thought, but not finding Ames Lager (and having discussions with the people working in the stores) indicates an incredibly high demand.
I understand that, but when I walk into a hyvee in Mason City and the workers have no idea what it is; that is not a good sign. Means they have not even attempted a city of 30k people. They sent me to Clone fest thinking that was what Ames Lager was first. They asked who makes it, I said West O. They then informed me that the West O rep quit a while ago and they haven't had anything from them for awhile. That's not promising for my area.

That's why I said I would like it just on the shelves to fly off in my area.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I understand that, but when I walk into a hyvee in Mason City and the workers have no idea what it is; that is not a good sign. Means they have not even attempted a city of 30k people. They sent me to Clone fest thinking that was what Ames Lager was first. They asked who makes it, I said West O. They then informed me that the West O rep quit a while ago and they haven't had anything from them for awhile. That's not promising for my area.

That's why I said I would like it just on the shelves to fly off in my area.

There is a job I don't think you've done. Any interest in being a westO beer rep?:D

Reactions: BACyclone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If west O isn’t ramped up for these last couple weekends, they really screwed the pooch.
I don't even blame West O, they're too small. It's frustrating all around. I think We Will reached out to other brewers, but no one else was willing to sponsor the beer and risk alienating 1/2 or more of their customer base. Like it or not, Iowa still has a strangle hold on the state. It's pretty telling Exile wasn't worried about pissing off Iowa State fans. Now Iowa fans can find their beer everywhere they look and Iowa State fans are left thirsty.

I'm guessing production eventually gets ramped up and demand settles down and we'll actually be able to get some Ames Lager, but it'll never be as readily available as the Swarm Beer and that's another L for Iowa State. Not having it available for the UNI or Iowa games was another Big L for Iowa State.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't even blame West O, they're too small. It's frustrating all around. I think We Will reached out to other brewers, but no one else was willing to sponsor the beer and risk alienating 1/2 or more of their customer base. Like it or not, Iowa still has a strangle hold on the state. It's pretty telling Exile wasn't worried about pissing off Iowa State fans. Now Iowa fans can find their beer everywhere they look and Iowa State fans are left thirsty.

I'm guessing production eventually gets ramped up and demand settles down and we'll actually be able to get some Ames Lager, but it'll never be as readily available as the Swarm Beer and that's another L for Iowa State. Not having it available for the UNI or Iowa games was another Big L for Iowa State.
The first month of games, especially the two in-state ones were going to be the largest sales. Don't see people making it their everyday drink. I don't drink much beer, but do for tailgating and usually the most for the first couple games.

• Creative
Reactions: BACyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Slight sidetrack: Where is WeWill coffee? That is something I would drink year around. I'm not sure where it's at though.