Akron cutting some sports

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's amazing how little cushion people and institutions built. Part of that is due to IRS rules for non-profits as it pertains to a University. They've been spending like there is no tomorrow, well, we are finding out there is a tomorrow that is not quite as nice as yesterday.

Reactions: Cyeedy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think the G5 is going to be in a world of pain honestly.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Will get REAL ugly

If we are not playing college football this fall we are probably not doing a lot of things this fall then. It is going to get ugly with way more than just college sports.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I am a little bit cynical in the sense that I think a few of these schools have been wanting to do this for awhile but didn't want to take the P.R. hit and now they got their excuse to do it so they will pull pull the trigger.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Having grown up in a suburb of Akron, with many people I know that get scholarships there, this sucks for them. Also Akron football is barely a moneymaker as is, they average one of the lowest attendance in the country and the big time athletic donors are few and far between. Academics wise, they get $10-15million a year on average.

They also stretched themselves out really thin on academics. They used to focus on hard sciences and engineering (like Iowa State) because of the tire companies in the area while Kent State, a university only 20-30min away, focused on liberal arts, teaching, medicine, and law (like Iowa).

In the last few decades, Akron has tried to expand into other areas to increase enrollment but they didn't do any of those things that great and while they saw an initial surge, it has fallen flat and now they're dropping enrollment like flies.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I’m not sure why schools have so many sports anyway. Nobody shows up to half the sports teams offer so what exactly does the school benefit from having them.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think the G5 is going to be in a world of pain honestly.

Yeah, I mean the P5 trying to break away were the first ugly cracks. This non-sense and cancelling the basketball tourney is the earthquake. That revenue and the pay to get boot stomped in a football game or two each year are what kept them in the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's amazing how little cushion people and institutions built. Part of that is due to IRS rules for non-profits as it pertains to a University. They've been spending like there is no tomorrow, well, we are finding out there is a tomorrow that is not quite as nice as yesterday.

You'd think UT would be fine, but those that had to value this type of thing in order to keep up won't be.

lockers_jpeg.0.jpg

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Might have been able to save a sport if they didn't spend a TON of money suing Nebraska.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I’m not sure why schools have so many sports anyway. Nobody shows up to half the sports teams offer so what exactly does the school benefit from having them.
Is some of it due to equal out the Title IX compliance aspect of number of scholarships available due to football having so many? Not sure?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Is some of it due to equal out the Title IX compliance aspect of number of scholarships available due to football having so many? Not sure?

I agree but honestly I don't see any need for Golf Teams, Cross Country teams, that type of stuff. Nobody goes to watch it, it does nothing for the university other than add more athletes to the mix. You could eliminate both the men's and womens teams and be in compliance of Title IX

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
I agree but honestly I don't see any need for Golf Teams, Cross Country teams, that type of stuff. Nobody goes to watch it, it does nothing for the university other than add more athletes to the mix. You could eliminate both the men's and womens teams and be in compliance of Title IX

Men's sports are the ones that can be significantly cut, without cutting football first, but a lot of the men's programs have already been cut. This is going to be ugly, wrestling might be in real trouble.