Above Ground Pools

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I know there are some folks here as trashy as me and rock the above ground pool. I’ve thrown a couple patches (from the pool store) at ours and they’ve held steady.

I just filled it up for the summer and have a leak at the seam. Any tips on sealing this thing up around a seam?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
flex-tape.gif

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
flex-tape.gif

But seriously that stuff works even with pressurized system. I farmerized some damage with flexseal tape.

I’ve got half a roll of this sitting in the garage but I used it on the old pool and it started peeling after a few weeks. Hoping for something a little more permanent.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Oh I’m just as trashy.

I’ve used this product in a couple places in mine. Going on year 5. The seam might need redone or something but maybe you could get a big enough piece to seal it with this. This stuff is great and can be applied underwater which seems insane. Maybe put a piece on the outside and inside? Worse thing might you slow the leak down enough or something and you just put more water in every couple weeks. I mean, that’s just advice from one trashy redneck to another.

1716032806513.jpeg

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
I think Gorilla Tape has some patch stuff that my wife bought for one of our daughters toys that seems to have held up well last summer.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So I got the hole patched up but a couple more started up and I think the liner is just done.

Anyone have experience with the Intex XTR series pools? We have the regular Intex Prism pool right now.

The current one is sitting on a concrete pad but we’re looking at going bigger and cutting out a spot in the yard, thus freeing up the pad for other stuff. The plan is to dig out the sod, level it, lay some sand and the put the pool directly on the sand base.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
So I got the hole patched up but a couple more started up and I think the liner is just done.

Anyone have experience with the Intex XTR series pools? We have the regular Intex Prism pool right now.

The current one is sitting on a concrete pad but we’re looking at going bigger and cutting out a spot in the yard, thus freeing up the pad for other stuff. The plan is to dig out the sod, level it, lay some sand and the put the pool directly on the sand base.
Sounds like you’re just figuring out pools suck and cost a lot of money. Liners go bad all the time. Pumps too. Filter needs new sand. Neighbor kids popped a new float. Chlorine tabs cost twice as much as 4 years ago. I don’t have experience with above ground, but it sounds you are a pool-owner to me. God speed my friend. God speed.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Sounds like you’re just figuring out pools suck and cost a lot of money. Liners go bad all the time. Pumps too. Filter needs new sand. Neighbor kids popped a new float. Chlorine tabs cost twice as much as 4 years ago. I don’t have experience with above ground, but it sounds you are a pool-owner to me. God speed my friend. God speed.

Funny, I was just texting my wife as I was pumping out and taking down our old pool. I said go for it and she’s on the fence. I’m not scared of the work or the few dollars here and there to keep it running. We’ve got three kids that use it multiple times a day, every day, weather permitting.

We’re just in that situation with three kids where spending a grand or two matters and want to make a good decision on what’s next. We’re on our third pool right now of varying sizes and I’m just sick of patching and replacing. I’m hoping the better Intex series lasts a bit longer. Hard sides or in ground isn’t an option.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
flex-tape.gif

But seriously that stuff works even with pressurized system. I farmerized some damage with flexseal tape.
Ya we tried it on a waterline in Houston when the excavators hit the line in the CVS parking lot and we couldn't find the shut off. It just lol'd at us and we were in tears laughing as we tried it as a last ditch effort.

Help Support Us

Become a patron