8/10 weather

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The siren went off in Ankeny at ~10:45 and the storm was full tilt around 11.

Tornados are tough because they show up on pretty short notice, just a few minutes time. I got sirens warning me of that tornado ahead of time, but at that time the threat was over Johnston. Had it just popped up over Ankeny, there probably would've been less notice. I don't know what to tell you there, they can't predict the exact location of a tornado ahead of time. That being said, tornados generally aren't at the front of a storm. If it's already storming out and the siren begins, one would think there's probably an advanced reason for it.

Again, like, this isn't complicated. If a siren goes off, there's probably a good reason for it. They aren't overused for every little storm.
Maybe it’s an issue of how they are used in different cities. Ours were going off by 10 as I said. Ours in Urbandale do go off all the time. Basically it comes down to either we have to set them off for enough that they give people enough warning to pay attention or we need something separate for when you need to get to your basement.
When I was growing up the sirens meant to get in the basement. I was fine with that. Now they set them off for storms that are no where near as bad as yesterday.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is anyone’s cell service still crappy? I’ve got a Verizon and us cellular and both are still spotty.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Anybody complaining about any sirens yesterday is out of touch with reality.

On another note, are there any Beaverdale residents with power restored today?
Not as of 8:00 this morning. Haven't been home since to check. I'd be shocked if ours is back today. MAYBE tomorrow.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
After this storm, I’ve concluded people need to stop planting silver maples. Man those trees suck.
There is a silver maple in my backyard that was there when I bought the house. I ******* hate that tree. It's going to cost an insane amount of money to get rid of that ***** too because of the proximity to power lines and houses. Zero chance it would survive the winds this storm brought. But I wasnt in the path of the storm.

Reactions: awd4cy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Not as of 8:00 this morning. Haven't been home since to check. I'd be shocked if ours is back today. MAYBE tomorrow.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'd like the comfort of knowing the AC came on for the dog. I basically boarded up the windows to prevent any sun from coming in.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'd like the comfort of knowing the AC came on for the dog. I basically boarded up the windows to prevent any sun from coming in.
Yeah, not banking on ours being back soon. Looks like plenty of outages still being reported on Mid-American's site, and we couldn't even get through to report until today.

My wife drove around yesterday after the storm and it sounded like a lot of trees and lines were down.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Is anyone’s cell service still crappy? I’ve got a Verizon and us cellular and both are still spotty.

US Cellular seems to have been hit particularly hard by this storm. I read a rumor somewhere (but can't find it now) that they had lost around 40 towers in the storm.

On Down Detector the US Cellular service complaints are almost all from cities in Iowa.

Verizon looks to be having issues but not nearly as bad as US Cellular.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
think of all the productivity lost by sirens going off too early. We got an economy to worry about

Sirens are just another hoax from the do nothing dems.

sorry, I promise no more politics

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If the sirens didn't go off in Ankeny, I would've had no idea this was coming at all. Hearing them allowed me to stop what I was doing (working), evaluate the situation and prepare properly for it as best I could.

And had they not gone off when they did, I'm not sure they would have at all, as power in my area was down before the storm really hit. They're supposed to go off for winds greater than 70 MPH... yeah, we definitely got that.
Absolutely the same reason for us in Ames. I stood up and looked out the windows, didn't see much so turned on TV with weather guy saying 107 mph winds somewhere south and west. I said, "What? 107 mile per hour winds??" I decided to take down the hanging plants and our flagpole, and move outside chairs next to the house. Came back in to wind really picking up and lights flickering. Then they went off, and the storm began.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Yeah, not banking on ours being back soon. Looks like plenty of outages still being reported on Mid-American's site, and we couldn't even get through to report until today.

My wife drove around yesterday after the storm and it sounded like a lot of trees and lines were down.

I think you're right. I'm pretty sure the DSM metro numbers were up by 4k customers since this morning. I've been eagerly checking to see if power is back on the south side and have noticed a few more dots show up in the map around my hood. I keep seeing a few people post on the west side they are getting power now but nothing for us yet. The gf just got home and confirmed we are still blackout. I need my A/C!!

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Absolutely the same reason for us in Ames. I stood up and looked out the windows, didn't see much so turned on TV with weather guy saying 107 mph winds somewhere south and west. I said, "What? 107 mile per hour winds??" I decided to take down the hanging plants and our flagpole, and move outside chairs next to the house. Came back in to wind really picking up and lights flickering. Then they went off, and the storm began.
Pretty much what happened to me. My windows only face NE so I went down to see what was happening west and saw the clouds coming in fast. Watched for a few minutes, no sooner than I felt a couple raindrops and the gusts fired up, my power was already out and hell started breaking loose. It was crazy, like a switch flipped on and suddenly a hurricane was occurring. No "buildup" to it.