SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
These guys just released a new album on Friday and my mind is blown. In a day where people really only download a song or two from an album, this feels like an epic. There are 17 songs, five songs I'd consider "great", there's only two that I skip over, and that's simply for the excitement of the next song.

It amazes me how they've grown their fanbase for all these years. They tour every summer and every show I've been to looks like a sellout. The past couple of albums have been very bland but this could be a game-changer for them. I'm pretty excited about it.

311.jpg

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I was down on their last couple of albums. This ranks up there with my all-time favorites. I hope I didn't over-sell it!
I'm with ya. They were OK, good to run to, but nothing special. My favorites are Transistor and Music. Grassroots is up there as well, so if this album is anything like those I'll be pretty happy.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I'm with ya. They were OK, good to run to, but nothing special. My favorites are Transistor and Music. Grassroots is up there as well, so if this album is anything like those I'll be pretty happy.

Music is clearly my favorite. The blue album and Transistor come in neck-and-neck. Mosaic has potential to sneak into the #2 spot for me.

I actually really like the album Uplifter. That was was pretty much universally panned.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Well, listened to the entire album twice now. I gotta say, I'm a fan. I still don't think its up there with Music, Grassroots, or Transistor, but it might be a solid #4 or # 5 for me. I definitely enjoy it more than Uplifter, Universal Pulse, and Stereolithic (not that I DISLIKE those albums). I really like the scope of the album, and you can tell there are some hallmark 311 lines, which I always enjoy.

Can I just say how crazy it is for a band to be around this long? They're still making pretty good new music and they're all what, in their 40's? These guys have ALWAYS been very loyal to their fans and I cant wait to see them this summer for what will be my 9th 311 show!

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe and SC Cy

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I may have to download it tonight. For some reason I love 311 and rap/rock is not normally in my zone. However, I saw 311 play when I was young at a bar in Des Moines when nobody knew who they were. Nick was super cool to me and I became a fan. However, like everyone else says. I thought there last few albums sucked pretty bad. Just bland as heck.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I may have to download it tonight. For some reason I love 311 and rap/rock is not normally in my zone. However, I saw 311 play when I was young at a bar in Des Moines when nobody knew who they were. Nick was super cool to me and I became a fan. However, like everyone else says. I thought there last few albums sucked pretty bad. Just bland as heck.

Nor mine, but I wouldnt call them rap/rock anymore. I would call them 'stoner' rock, from the same mold as Incubus, Hoobastank (not a fan), and to an extent Sublime. They've actually toured with the Long Beach Dub All Stars (and the previously mentioned bands) many times.

Yes, there are some hip-hop influenced lines or songs, but I think they shed the rap-rack stigma years ago.

I wiki'ed 311 genre and Alternative rock, Reggae Rock, Funk Rock, and Rap Rock all came up, so you have a point.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Nor mine, but I wouldnt call them rap/rock anymore. I would call them 'stoner' rock, from the same mold as Incubus, Hoobastank (not a fan), and to an extent Sublime. They've actually toured with the Long Beach Dub All Stars (and the previously mentioned bands) many times.

Yes, there are some hip-hop influenced lines or songs, but I think they shed the rap-rack stigma years ago.

I wiki'ed 311 genre and Alternative rock, Reggae Rock, Funk Rock, and Rap Rock all came up, so you have a point.

They started to turn a little when them and the Urge started coming on strong. I honestly think they kind of were grooving to the Urge. haha. THen again I love the Urge

Reactions: Farnsworth

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think I saw the urge open for 311 at some point in the early 2000s

They used to open for them a lot. When 311 was trying to stay around the Midwest for a mini tour they would always have the Urge open. Since they are from St Louis area. The Urge used to play at a bar I bartended at called Safari. Nicest guys.

Reactions: DeftOne

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
The opening bands for 311 over the years have been pretty impressive. Sugar Ray, No Doubt, Slightly Stoopid, Snoop Dogg, Pepper, The Wailers, etc. Watching The Naked and Famous open for them a few times made me a big fan.

I'll be at their show in Lincoln tomorrow and am curious to see New Politics and The Skintz.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I also remember there being an Urge song that I really liked that was unreleased back in the winamp days, but I could never for the life of me find it. There was a clip on YouTube but the quality was terrible. Now I can't even remember the name.

edit: nevermind, the song I was thinking of was Stockholm Love by 2 Skinee Js.

Last edited:

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I also remember there being an Urge song that I really liked that was unreleased back in the winamp days, but I could never for the life of me find it. There was a clip on YouTube but the quality was terrible. Now I can't even remember the name.

edit: nevermind, the song I was thinking of was Stockholm Love by 2 Skinee Js.

The Urge song I really liked was Jump Right in.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Oh man...The Urge. So many memories from my college days. They are really fun live.

I've listened to the new 311 album a few times now, and I'm really digging it. Solid from start to finish.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy and StratCY