2nd degree sunburn remedies?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
So I made a big mistake of not using sunscreen the other day and it’s biting me in the ass right now. I’ve developed tons of blisters over both of my shoulders that are extremely painful and annoying. Went to urgent care and the doctor prescribed me Silver Sulfadiazine cream to put on twice a day. So, has anyone dealt with this before? How long before the blister pain goes away? I’ve been using the cream the last few days, but it doesn’t provide any pain relief. I think it’s just there for possible infections. I can barely extend my arms straight up without stinging pain.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy-downsized-large.gif

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Drink lots of water. It may sound stupid, but severe sunburn draws tons of water in the body to the burned skin. Stay hydrated to help your body heal itself.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So I made a big mistake of not using sunscreen the other day and it’s biting me in the ass right now. I’ve developed tons of blisters over both of my shoulders that are extremely painful and annoying. Went to urgent care and the doctor prescribed me Silver Sulfadiazine cream to put on twice a day. So, has anyone dealt with this before? How long before the blister pain goes away? I’ve been using the cream the last few days, but it doesn’t provide any pain relief. I think it’s just there for possible infections. I can barely extend my arms straight up without stinging pain.

Got it when I was 21 on my arms. Worst part was heat exhaustion followed it since I was unable to be inside for my job. I slept about 18 hours straight. Aloe Vera will help to cool and lessen the burn also. I didn't have that and just tried to rest and would stand in the shower my skin would just burn from the cool water hitting it. I was back to "normal" in about five days.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The silver cream will work wonders for healing. In between applications, use solarcaine. It works really well to sooth and cool burns.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Solarcaine spray. It cools and numbs the blisters for awhile. Been there it takes a week to start feeling better.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Luckily I've gotten as bad as you have. When I've had a bad one I got the route of aloe vera and a cold compress.

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
African Shea Butter, warm it up and apply it when its warm and runny. wear a crappy t shirt as it will stain. Your burn will be GONE in 36 hours!!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Down in Florida at Grandmas condo every single old ass leathered retiree that lives in her complex has two actual live aloe plants going at all times. Every time I come back from the beach and they are out in the pool area playing cribbage I get 10 people offering me a piece of their aloe plants.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
This stuff is excellent for soothing damaged skin. It's cheep and is available in many brands:
eyJleHRlbmQiOiB7fSwgImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpdGhvdXRFbmxhcmdlbWVudCI6IHRydWUsICJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJiIjogMSwgInIiOiAxLCAiZyI6IDEsICJhbHBoYSI6IDB9LCAiZml0IjogImluc2lkZSIsICJoZWlnaHQiOiA3NTAsICJ3aWR0aCI6IDc1MH19LCAiYnVja2V0IjogImluZmx1ZW5zdGVyX3Byb2R1Y3Rpb24iLCAia2V5IjogIm1lZGlhL3Byb2R1Y3QvaW1hZ2UvNTNiY2FmZmFjYWY1NmQyNjAzYTE4ZGNjZjlmNjM0NDIucG5nIn0=

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This was me last year after a day in Folly Beach SC. The itching was the worst part. It lasted every bit of a week if not longer. I did plenty of lotion and occasionally used some solarcane spray. And yes plenty of water.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I spent most of my childhood summers on a boat in the middle of a Iowa or south dakota lake. I had some epic sun burns. I have since developed several basil cell carcinomas, the most common type of skin cancer. I am by far the youngest person at my dermatologist. I'm now more of a camp in the shade kind of guy. I remember just having aloe as a kid so I don't have any great advice.

Just a reminder to everyone to wear sunscreen or stay in the shade

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

As a kid I had blistering sunburns every summer (THANKS Mom!). Vinegar takes the sting out but you have to let the blisters weep and pop, then deal with the piles of skin that sluffs off. Oh - and the skin cancer that starts popping up 30+ years later if you happen to be me...

I LOVE the sun, beach, lake but I've just adopted wearing a rash guard / sun shirt and a hat at all such functions.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've never had that bad of a sunburn. Don't know how because I was at the pool all afternoon every afternoon and never wore sunscreen when I was a kid.

My grandpa told a story about his worst sunburn. He was bald and was burned on his head so bad he got blisters. Then he was working on his farm and bent over next to a metal roof shed and scraped his head on the overhang. Apparently a bunch of the skin on his head just kinda slid off. Said he vomited from the pain.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
This happened to me when I was swimming a long time ago. It hurt so bad for a few days afterwards. I just used aloe vera gel to help relieve the burn. I still have freckles on my shoulders from getting burnt to a crisp.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron