cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have a round trip commute of about 60-90 minutes each day, so podcasts are really entertaining for me. I can only listen to so much radio before it drives me insane. Letting me listen to something ISU related is very enjoyable living in Chicago. Podcasts make my commutes a lot more enjoyable while sitting in stop and go traffic.

Now, if I didn't have to commute that far and was never in my car for longer than a few minutes, I probably wouldn't listen to as many podcasts.

• Agree
Reactions: neiacy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I listen to most all the podcasts, as well as many other types of podcasts out there. In fact, I prefer them to reading articles. You'd be surprised how many podcasts you can listen to when you've got a 20 min commute each way to work, listen while you mow, listen during an hour-long lunch break walk each day, sometimes on just normal drives around the city, and even occasionally on a road trip with the family. On the road trips, all I can really get my wife to listen to is the Fawcast since it is so off-topic. Anyway, I'm just not much of a music guy and like something to pass the time quickly and keep my mind occupied. Truthfully, on a more personal note, I suffer from pretty bad chronic back pain always as a fairly young guy, so the more my mind can keep busy, the less I notice the pain too, so thanks CW and company.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Wow, I'm surprised based on the download numbers that CW has reported before that there are so many people who don't listen to the CF podcasts. I listen to the majority of them, usually while I'm running, traveling, doing chores around the house, etc. Occasionally at work as well, but only if it’s while I’m doing some busy work that doesn’t require as much concentration.

I don't think I listen to the podcasts for new information necessarily, the forums/Twitter are much more useful for that. I just like getting new perspectives and takes on ISU athletics, especially on living outside of central Iowa, it’s another way for me to stay connected.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Finally I find some people (thank you mtown and GTO) who agree with my opinion of podcasts. The only ones I listen to regularly are from the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, because I get Green Bay Packer information I can't get anywhere else.

But I'm in complete agreement with what you guys posted.....too many times I'm listening to guys on $hi**y equipment ramble on about their kids' tee-ball games (and NO, I don't mean you CW!) instead of getting the info I can in a printed story.

Reactions: GTO

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I listen to podcasts while driving, biking, doing tasks around the house, or even sometimes to help get to sleep at night.

Not really a substitute for reading (as some seem to suggest) because I’m always doing something else while listening to podcasts. Same can’t be said for when I read.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Please please please please do NOT take away our podcasts.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Be careful. I have a suspicion that this is ban-bait.

Seriously, I listen to the podcasts while doing other things. The content is fundamentally different than the articles (which are also great). Podcast audio usually has a spontaneous, unedited format that is often quite interesting. And because there is usually more than one person on, I find myself relating to the statements of someone in the conversation.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've never wanted to complain about the podcasts because if you don't like them, then just don't listen to them, right?

However, often times I'd like to listen because the topic interests me, but I get too frustrated first of all with all the issues I have listening to them, so I just don't. Probably issues on my end though, so it's not that big of a deal. I use Chrome.

When I have been able to listen to part of them before they freeze up, it just takes too long to get to the info I want to hear. I understand why they talk about other stuff because some might like it, but I'm boring I guess and I just want to hear ISU sports stuff, not how much someone had to drink the night before or something.

But as I said, it's not that big of a deal to me at all. This is a free site and I love all the info you get here, so I don't feel like I can complain much.

• Agree
Reactions: Joel1

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I listen if I have time and I think they're generally fun. I'd rather read articles.

Perhaps if they could put recorded times up of when they're talking about certain topics or something.

I should look into figuring out a way to listen via phone without having to use/text with my phone...wouldn't be a bad way to commute.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I love podcasts. Music gets boring to me so I enjoy the content of podcasts. I listen while driving, mowing, working, doing dishes, etc.

I like CF podcasts but haven't been listening in the off season. Content this time of year just doesn't interest me.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I was driving in my car at lunch skimming over the Monday musings (not recommended) when I thought to myself "I wish there was a listen option on the articles." Needless to say I consume the podcasts more. I will usually at least try all podcast even if I don't finish it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Dopey

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Nope. The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers freaked me out as a little kid and I have had a lifelong aversion to pods.

mv5bmtgymtc3oduzm15bml5banbnxkftztcwmdiwmjg4mw._v1_sx640_sy720__758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Buster28 and Cypwr

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
I listen to all, I listen to podcasts all day while I walk fields so anything that speaks on the cyclones passes my time better than most

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I listen to comedy podcasts. Not Too Deep with Grace Helbig because I'm madly in love with Grace Helbig. Dynamic Banter with Steve Zaragoza and Mike Falzone frequently has me laughing out loud (it's a podcast about nothing, but funny as hell). And I just started a new podcast Popcorn with Jack Ferry and Mitchell Davis, where they have a special guest each week, watch a movie together and then use the podcast to rag on the movie (I don't know if it's the theme, but the three I've listened to are 80s movies in Big, Weekend at Bernies and Lost Boys.)

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I use the podcasts as white noise while mowing or other stuff. I listen, but I don't really absorb what's being said.

I listen to most of the podcasts. Either at work or like others said, while doing yard work.

Pro Tip: Set the speed at 1.5x (or 2x if you're crazy).

I listen to the podcast but don't really read the articles. Most of the information from the articles you'll find a big thread on anyways and I have forums as my bookmark.

Podcast to me is just a more interesting way to get the information. It's great to listen to when you have some mindless work to do, or things like mowing/yardwork/biking.

I love podcasts. Music gets boring to me so I enjoy the content of podcasts. I listen while driving, mowing, working, doing dishes, etc.

I like CF podcasts but haven't been listening in the off season. Content this time of year just doesn't interest me.
Can't imagine what your yards would look like without podcasts. :D

I do remember when @cyrocksmypants and I were going to start a "Late Night with Pants and GTO" off-topic podcast. Sadly, I got really busy with work and we couldn't secure enough sponsors.